Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Perceived Notion of the Rastaman  (Read 890 times)

Amandel

Perceived Notion of the Rastaman
« on: February 28, 2005, 04:29:39 PM »

Misgana,

Something i've noticed on several threads;
It seems that most people have a preconceived, or should i say, a particular perceived notion of the Rastaman and Rastawoman.
It used to be that of, 'the drugaddicted dread', BUT lately it's all about sex. I have the outmost disgust for this thought. Take for example the post on sexy rasta men?
It seems like people (women) see the rastaman as ONLY a sexual being. No wonder all the youth are having locks nowadays, it has become more than fashion, it's like the " punnani -catcher" (pardon my language).

This perceived notion reminds me to the one that some white people have of blacks. My advice is get to know people before having a certain image of them. And stop live for the flesh. No wonder "earth a run red"  

Amlakiye, Ngusiye, Getoche, Brhane, Medhanite Jan Hoi
Empress_ez

EmpressGong

Re: Perceived Notion of the Rastaman
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 04:59:16 PM »

i agree with you. however i was one woman in the thread who said that a certain picture of a man was quite good and sexy yes..he had locks but is not rasta..i was in my opinion expressing my love for a black man. there is nothing wrong with that!
i didnt really like that thread being put up either becuz i personally dont believe in dwellin on the flesh so much..vanity is not a characteristic i would recommend any rastafari should embrace.

if the thread was called sexy black men would you still have a problem with it?
maybe the point is that "Sexy" really have nothin to do with rasta, and in that case i would have to agree.

however to generalise and say that women on this site only have a sexual view of rasta men is something u should have avoided doing, becuz speakin for myself, making a comment really doesnt mean that that is my only concern or focus. it is the least in this case. i love when rastamen like sizzla and capleton sing about their love of a woman body and her ways..there is nothin wrong with expressing appreciation.

it is tru that a lot of men now wear dreadlocks for fashion and to appeal to women. it is true that white people have misconceptions of black people which they tend to enjoy indulging. i think u are on the verge of makin that mistake by judging and in your own way sayin what is or what shouldnt be ..said about rastfari men and women.

EmpressGong

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.