Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Marcus Garvey "Life and Lessons"  (Read 6368 times)

InI_Scott

• Full User
  • Chapter a Day!
Marcus Garvey "Life and Lessons"
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:23:42 PM »

Lesson 1: "You Must Never Stop Learning"  "One Must Never Stop Reading" "You should always read the best poetry for inspiration" "Read History Incessantly until you master it"

One Love Idren!

Once again thank you to everyone that has brought knowledge to this board.  After reading many posts on "black supremacy" and the like, it was clearly time for i to begin to read about the amazing Malcus Mosiah Garvey, Jr.

I picked up the book "Marcus Garvey Life and Lessons" (Robert A. Hill, Editor) and it has been a joy to read and learn.  Are you familiar with these lessons?  21 are printed in this text from Intelligence, Leadership, God, Christ, Character . . .

Any interest in discussing these lessons?

Also, i will be in New York City in November and plan on seeing many of the Marcus Garvey landmarks.  Does anyone know where Liberty Hall stood in Harlem?  Or can anyone recommend places to visit/sites to see in Harlem regarding same?

One Love,

Scott

Positive_Vibration

Re: Marcus Garvey "Life and Lessons"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 02:03:42 AM »

Greetings Scott -

Another good Garvey quote, "Read! Read! Read! Read! Read until you hold all the knowledge of the Earth."

At any rate...InI am currently in the middle of "Selected Writings And Speeches Of Marcus Garvey" and just visited Harlem yesterday...just walking the streets anywhere in the city, you can immediatly SEE Garvey's words. Despite it being cleaned up, within Harlem still one can see the independence of the American Negro, through the independent stores, markets, street names, ect.

Apparently theres one part where chain stores are beginning to take over but I was in the 125th-128th ST area if thats of any help.

One love

Ras Saadon

• Veteran User
  • Deuteronomy 30:19
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:29:43 AM »

InI am thinking of getting this book.. its a good one or should Iman get a different one?
"No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God." His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I.

InI_Scott

• Full User
  • Chapter a Day!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:54:05 AM »

This is my first experience in reading Garvey's words.  i intended to read from cover to cover, but the topics within this book sometimes call me to flip around.

The chapters on God, Christ, The Holy Spirit, have me right now.  i may have read these chapters at every lunch during the last few weeks.  taking his words to heart, i have just about underlined certain passages to the point of cutting through several pages.  Marcus is so clear and powerful that it is hard for me to return to my work after being so deep in thought.  

Many of the chapters have words that are not known.  For example, you may see the editor give several possible words.  I cannot tell if these words are being derived from written documents or Garvey's notes.  Either way, Garvey jumps off the page at you.

Not having read other books about or by Garvey, i can't say this is the best, but it certainly has become a favorite during the last month.  I have the book at work, and not with me now, so i am not able to give quotes, but the preface is informative and gave i enough information to follow how the book was assembled and from where these speeches derived.

Thanks Positive for the Harlem comments.  our November trip to NYC will be special on many fronts (friends wedding) but having more insight into Garvey will make walking those streets that much more powerful to i.

100profit

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 06:00:48 PM »

On Confrontation, what speech is the marcus garvey implants from? All the speeches I heard from Marcus Garvey were not as passionate as that.
"If you cannot do it, if you are not prepared to do it...then you will die. You race of cowards, you race of imbosiles, you race of good for nothings. If you can not do what other men have done, what other nations have done, what other races have done, then you yourself shall die!"

Ras Saadon

• Veteran User
  • Deuteronomy 30:19
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 03:39:53 PM »

InI am now reading the book and Iman must say its very good book, gives a lot of info about Garvey, good lessons and makes the I overstand how Rastafari became what it is today, InI recommend it to the fulest.
"No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God." His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.