Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Underrated artists  (Read 11255 times)

soljie

Underrated artists
« on: November 17, 2005, 05:30:08 AM »

Who are in your eyes the most underrated reggae artists? I believe Chuck Fenda is one of them allthough I start to hear more and more from him...

Positive_Vibration

Re: Underrated artists
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:18:12 PM »

Midnite is one of them. Along with most reggae coming out of the virgin islands. Theres a site entirely livicated to that though...www.vireggae.com
Eventually I'll make a topic on just them

Some others, in my opinion, would be a lot of other reggae coming from America. Journalis, SOJA, DubStation, JournalisT Bandoo, Don Minott, and Mutti Lewis are a few to mention. I can provide links if anyones interested. Original General Smiley is another. A studio-one legend and elder gone solo.

A couple from Jamaica would be the older ones that are still going strong today. The Itals and Yami Bolo come to mind. I'd say 'The Wailers' too but they are at least able to string together international tours. Same with Culture, though they seem to get even less recognition.

This topic is interesting though because living in America, reggae alltogether is underrated. I life off a suburb of a reggae city though so I am fortunate in that regard. The only real ones though that are getting signifficant recognition seem to be the wave of dancehall artists - IWayne, Bascom X, and even Damien Marley and Sizzla. Happy that they're getting that though. Seeing IWayne with various rastafari elders on MTV was really a sight to see.

One love

tigerinatrance

• Normal User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 11:08:12 PM »

Positive V - missed I-Wayne - when was he on?  What show?

Soul-Jah

• Veteran User
  • man wombman child is the true trinity
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 11:29:11 PM »

AUGUSTUS PABLO
one of the true legends a dub pioneer his instrumentals take you to another level id put him on par with bob marley for the massive influence hes had on modern reggae but ask most people in the uk and theyve never heard of him
peace and love
We believe in cooperation and collaboration to promote the cause of international security, the equality of man and the welfare of mankind.
 H.I.M JAH RASTAFARI
INI WALK IN ONENESS
BLESSED LOVE

BLING_BLAOH

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 02:05:45 AM »

Scientist, Bounty Killer, and Spragga Benz, can also be underrated also.

soljie

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 02:09:53 AM »

would be a wicked combination bounty the poor people governer an chuck fenda da poor people defenda!

Positive_Vibration

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 02:42:07 AM »

Positive V - missed I-Wayne - when was he on?  What show?

I-Wayne was on, to complete suprise, when I switched from the comedy channel for a minute to see what else was on - in a block of 'music videos.' I switched it right after seeing that, knowing it was the only legitatmite one they'd play and that it was a blessing of the might high to have seen it at that time.

I don't remember what song it was for --- the single of his latest album --- and the video is basically him representing Rastafari and reasoning with various elders in Ja
I thought it really gave a more honest depiction because nothing was million-dollar-budget. No tourist-hustling Babylon perception.

I don't know if or when it'll come back on air. I'm sure its somewhere on his website though, if he's got one. If not, I'm loosely in contact with his publicist and can find out where to find it online for you that way.

One love
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 02:42:54 AM by Positive_Vibration »

haftrini

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 08:44:58 PM »

Some others, in my opinion, would be a lot of other reggae coming from America....SOJA.......

SOJA definitely!! I can't remember whose post it was that I read here that made me check them out but BIG ups to all their supporters on this site!! Definitely a band that you don't hear much about but who have amazing music and I'm grateful to all who promote them here for turning me on to them.

One love

reggae

• Regular User
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 06:58:30 PM »

augustus pablo was a genius, with unique sounds and very under rated. uk men like macka b, p levi, asher senator, peter king, papa benjie, smiley culture...are all underrated too.. [smiley=cheesy.gif]
i love reggae

irieskanka

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 07:09:38 AM »

Praise HIM!!!!  Positive Vibration~~my heart is soaring with sweet joy that you mention the band MIDNITE.... HaleluJAH!!!!  What pure, irie, devotional praises echo from each song.  I am truly blessed as I look forward to hearing Midnite again on the beautiful island of St. Croix this Sunday.....January 8th!!!  Praise The Most High JAH!!!!!

Blessings,
Irie Skanka

reggae

• Regular User
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 01:24:30 PM »

::)Tetrack are very underrated, a great band
i love reggae

rootsridge

• Senior User
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »

Johnny dread,, no questions

powerful voice like marley

serious old school roots sounding, but modern rasta man sound
ONLINE REGGAE DJ
http://www.ukreggaeguide.co.uk/radio/

i am doing a show every saturday from 8pm (GMT)
so please tune in and I will play I some reggae music!!

sleiman2

• Newbie User
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »

jay dee / j dilla perhaps

hxxp: en. wikipedia. org/wiki/J_Dilla

he just died though so expect the ratings to skyrocket in the time to come!!

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.