Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Why wear Head Wrap  (Read 10188 times)

Marneenaw

Why wear Head Wrap
« on: November 19, 2005, 08:30:38 PM »

Peace ,
I know why I wrap my head (there are a few reasons) but why do Rasta Brethren and Sistren cover their Locks?

Jah Bless

SmG

Re: Why wear Head Wrap
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:16:40 PM »

Not all do, just Bobos I heard

EmpressCarla

• Veteran User
  • Rasta wombman live up!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 09:27:07 PM »

Blessings

The following was sent to me by a Rastafari empress when I had the same questions concering wearing head wraps. I personally do not wrap my hair and don't have locks, so obviously these are her words. I am only posting them because this might help in answer to your question.

"The Princess is Modest in her appearance, and does not use her body for personal gains. She is Righteous and does not entertain the evils of vanity. Sistren cover your natty/natural Crown outside your gates! Know that the cloth you wear is representative of your steadfast Devotion to Jah, and is a symbol of your Royalty as an Ethiopian/Afrakan. Cover your Crown out of Reverence as you Pray, and Pray without ceasing! ... Allow your hair to be its natural Self. Allow the natural glow of your Skin to shine through as much as possible! Let the PowerofJah be seen on your face. Do not dull your Creator’s Light!"

Be blessed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:29:09 PM by Carla »

msgal

• Veteran User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 10:42:07 PM »

De novo's post is the best explaination.

I'll only add that I cover my head at work because it is a very dirty environment.
At the end of the day all exposed skin and my clothes are covered with dust
from the machinery .
I cover it in the interest of cleanlyness.

Jah bless

One love
Jah bless. I and I love you all.

Marneenaw

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 11:36:15 PM »

That Posting was beautiful. That is the reason I cover my locks. I used to be Hebrew Israelite growing up in my houshold and my father demanded that the women of the house cover their heads when we left home and wear modest clothing (like no tight pants, short skirts, nothing hugging the curves tightly). He is very protective. Then I made friends with some muslim women and they started to talk to me about Allah and the Prophet Muhhammed (it appealed, I realise now, because it was so full of moral teachings and about unity [smiley=smiley.gif]). I cut my locks that I had for 2 years. I started to wear the Kimar (head covering) and lower my head when in public. That was not my way.God did not want to me to be muslim, to be ashamed of my womanhood by lowering my head when I passed men. He wanted me to wear my crown in honor and dignity and let his light show in my spirit. I began to read the B.I.B.L.E again and felt myself becoming happier and happier from reading and living Gods word and I feel so blessed to have come across this site and be able to build with you all (thanks Rasta Nick [smiley=smiley.gif]) Now I have myself back. I was just searching for anything that seemed real in the world as all we knowledge seekers do. I love to feel the sun blacken my skin. [smiley=grin.gif]
Jah Bless those Seekers
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 11:39:35 PM by Marneenaw »

queen

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 01:45:50 PM »

Yeah good question,from I guess the beginning of time African women were always wearing head wraps. I grew up with mother wearing a head wrap and she told me that as an african woman we were head wraps for respect and for the beauty that we possess...and then again the reason is because the hair is one of the strongest sources that the human body holds-if you remember Samson his powers were from his hair,so we need to protect the hair for the evil vibes we catch around us.  [smiley=wink.gif]

WhiteRastas-United

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 05:14:38 AM »

I am a non-dread rasta who believes in the practice of head-covering, which can be traced back to the laws of the old testament, and of our prophets...

Exodus 34:32-35

32 And afterward all the children of Israel came nigh: and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai.  

33 And till Moses had done speaking with them, he put a veil on his face.  

34 But when Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he took the veil off, until he came out. And he came out, and spake unto the children of Israel that which he was commanded.  

35 And the children of Israel saw the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone: and Moses put the veil upon his face again, until he went in to speak with him.  

Moses would cover his head and face with a veil usually at all times. When he would enter the temple to speak with JAH, he would uncover his head. This is much like the practice we read in Corinthians, this is according to Mosiac Law...

1 Corinthians 11:3-4  

3 Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.  

4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.  

According to Mosiac Law, Man should uncover our heads while speaking to JAH, this includes praying, prophesising, and worship.

As a Rastafarian, InI fully support the art of Dreadlocks. A Symbol of roots, and the nazarene vow. InI discover JAH thru my I own way...

Bless the daughter of ZION

Micah 4:13

13 Arise and thresh, O DAUGHTER OF ZION: for I will make thine horn iron, and I will make thy hoofs brass: and thou shalt beat in pieces many people: and I will consecrate their gain unto the LORD, and their substance unto the Lord of the whole earth.

BLING_BLAOH

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 09:02:55 PM »

I and I wrap I and I lock to protect dem from debris and tiny creatures. I get nuff crazy looks when mi wear mi turban. But I wear it to symbolize my faith in Emmanuel and Selassie I.

Marneenaw

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 03:12:29 PM »

Wow there are so many beautiful reasons why we cover our locks. All very practical. I know what you mean speedy, when I wear my wrap I get called names like fake a$$ Erykah Badu, people start mumbling fake Afrikan languages and those conservatives jump to the other side of the street [smiley=rolleyes.gif]. Most brothers are very respectful. But if wearing my wrap pleases Yah then I'll continue to wear it. stay strong bredren. Love to you.

liverpuddlian

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 10:16:38 PM »

I can't start a post until I have replied to one, but I would like to put the question somewhere: I have been looking for god all my life, I was raised by one parent who does not believe in god, however I feel he is missing in my life... As a white (and going out with an African christian for 5 years) the natural thing would be to be christian, but this God is represented by pedophiles and sexists that disagree with birth control. I have looked at other religions but don't see myself within them. Through music I have found rastafarianism, true beauty + love and without rules - just be good to yourself and others. Can anyone explain to me the ways in which to praise jah in life and have the discipline, are there churches or meetings? Excuse me if any of this seems naive.
Cheers

EmpressGong

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 04:25:42 PM »

Bless Up

I agreed completely with Carla's Quote.  [smiley=cheesy.gif]
but Id like to add that I wouldnt enter a place of worship with my head uncovered nor do I pray with my head uncovered. I feel it is disraspectful but that is just how I have taken the Creed of the Empress.

I also want to say that early in the morning or before sunset you shud let your root be exposed to the sun as it is good for your hair..not the harsh midday rays but the early mornin or evenin when the sun is at its healin cycle.

Bless de SIstren

EmpressGong

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.