Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rasta/Patois Dictionary  (Read 65268 times)

trini_chindian

Re: Rasta/Patois Dictionary
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2005, 08:53:17 PM »

nice posts of glossaries.  very useful stuff.

i just wanted to add one thing here.  the term "patois" is used differently in different territories.   in trinidad, "patois" refers to what linguists call a French creole.  in jamaican, "patois" is not french based, but more english based in terms of lexicon.  structurally, there is evidence from african languages which comprimise the grammar of jamaican patois (known as jamaican creole in linguistic terms).  in trinidad, we also have what people call "broken english" which is in fact trinidadian creole english.  the thing is, in trinidad, the trinidadian creole english is moving closer toward a standard variety, whereas jamaican creole english has been less resistant to change (although this might vary in more urban settings).  in the case of jamaican creole english, there is a stronger case for arguing that it could be considered a language all entirely, whereas such an argument for trinidadian creole would be weak because of decreolization (ie. moving toward standard variety).  so i would say that trinidadian creole english is a dialect more than a separate language. my point is, the word "patois" speaks differently to various speech communities and can employ a multiplicity of meaning.

a-wanna-be-linguist

trini chindian

Positive_Vibration

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2005, 11:19:23 PM »

Cool dictionary! What is a back slidder, or back sidder though?

Back-stabber

soljie

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2005, 09:44:50 AM »

anybody who waan know weh patois come from has to listen to the tune Jamaica from macka B on the columbus riddim that seh it all!!! when mi can find the lyrics me will post dem 2...

blessed

Keyno

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2005, 11:48:14 PM »

RasTafari is a amharic word, and has been around before the english God concept.
RasTafari is ancient for saying GOD THE head creator.

newrasta

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 06:43:51 AM »

Greetings!

Now since I've started reading this I wanna learn fluent Patois now!!! Anyone wanna help I??? [smiley=wink.gif]

Jah Bless.

Ras Evan

RastaEvan11

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2005, 07:54:48 AM »

greeting

learning a lot one this goood dictionary [smiley=grin.gif]

peace be ur journey

Positive_Vibration

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2005, 07:31:53 AM »

Anyone know a good method to solidly learning Pataois?

I was thinking of maybe setting up an e-mail address that sends one word, its definition, and it used in a sentence on the daily. ... Anyone interested?

Rastadog

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2005, 08:13:04 AM »

I have taken interest in this dictionary and have already started using it to my full advantage with my friends and is working greatly in reality.

Peace
and
Jah Love
[smiley=smiley.gif] [smiley=smiley.gif]

newrasta

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2005, 09:26:43 AM »

Anyone know a good method to solidly learning Pataois?

I was thinking of maybe setting up an e-mail address that sends one word, its definition, and it used in a sentence on the daily. ... Anyone interested?

I'm interested! I've been dying to speak Patois with someone! Maybe an addition to that could be someone who knew Patois, very solidly, could perhaps set up live chats where ones interested in learning could go in the chat and further learn it! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Jah Love!

Ras Evan

Positive_Vibration

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2005, 06:55:21 AM »

I'm interested! I've been dying to speak Patois with someone! Maybe an addition to that could be someone who knew Patois, very solidly, could perhaps set up live chats where ones interested in learning could go in the chat and further learn it! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Jah Love!

Ras Evan

Seen...I'll get a full thread for it so all peoples interested could say so and then I'll set it up. Thanks be given

SmG

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2005, 10:24:10 AM »

Yah, I'd love that!

Jah Bless

FussingnnFighting

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2005, 03:41:29 AM »

does anyone know of a title or author, or company or site or something that sells a Rasta/Patois Dictionary? i would appreciate it.

nattydreadman

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2005, 06:17:21 PM »

Jah Love!

Ras Evan

I-Ney, Irie

Iman also interested in learnin Patois. i know some but would love tro learn more

One Love.

aspiring_rasta

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2005, 05:21:52 PM »

very cool! this will be help. thank you

bushdoctor12001

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2005, 06:15:41 PM »

i am in the uk can anyone advise where in the uk or on the net i can buy Fetha Nagast
if so please mail me on stephen.stokes1@ntlworld.com
jah blessings
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 19 queries.