Rasta Nicks Forum Rasta Nick's Forum - rastafarian - Reggae - Haile Selassie
September 24, 2014, 05:22:59 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Rasta Nicks Forum and Rasta-man.co.uk are privately funded. Please help keep Rasta Nicks Forum and Rasta-man.co.uk running by making a donation via Pay Pal - it's fast, free and secure!
Or ya could just buy some seeds
Google Custom Search
News: Fill out member map and profile.
Rasta Nick's Forum - rastafarian - Reggae - Haile Selassie  
   Home   Help Member Map Donations Login Register  

Buy Marijuana Seeds

or go to www.seedsman.com
Buy Marijuana Seeds

or go to www.zamnesia.com

Feminized Cannabis Seeds

or go here Sensi Seeds: Original cannabis seed strains
Weed Seed Shop - Feminized cannabis seeds

or go here Weed Seed Shop: high quality cannabis seeds
Subject Statistics
Topic: Polygamy Replies: 16 posts
Read 2316 times 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Polygamy  (Read 2316 times)
Ras_Growstrong

« on: June 01, 2006, 11:06:53 PM »

Rasta women for or against???
Kama_Sutra
Senior User

Rasta man live up

unknown
Browser:
unknown

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:24:28 PM »

I'm not rasta but I'm pro polyandry.
Ras_Growstrong

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:13:52 AM »

polyandry - is this based on womens gratification for sex or an arrangement based on the betterment of family life
Kama_Sutra
Senior User

Rasta man live up

unknown
Browser:
unknown

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:56:30 AM »

It could be either, depending on how it's approached.  It's a very ancient practice found in various societies worldwide, some even now.
Ras_Growstrong

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:02:38 AM »

Could you identify a current society and ancient society that actually works/ed based on this notion of a better family life.

EmpressGong

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:47:49 AM »

Blessed Love

One Queen to a King. HIM Emperor Haile Selassie married one woman. One woman is the Empress of Zion not 2 and 4 and 6. That is the Righteous way.anything else is abomination. No girlfrens, no mistresses Thou shalt not commit adultery
I fully sight that Afrakan people had that polygamous institution of marriage. I dont judge that because I overstand its purpose and functions because I commited to study it. But when dealing with Rastafari InI should hold marriage as One King to one Queen because that is the way of the Father and the Mother.

EmpressGong
Bobo Shanti
Kama_Sutra
Senior User

Rasta man live up

unknown
Browser:
unknown

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 02:01:01 PM »

Presently the Zoe tribe of the Amazon are one that I can mention.

Another polyandrous group of the modern era is found in South India.  I forgot the names of that tribe (tribes).  You can research this all on the internet.  They have a system of co-habitation that allows time between each rotation so that the father of a child is always known.  

There are more but those are the ones that come to me offhand.

You can also search "Draupadi" - a very well known and respected ancient Queen in India who was married to five brothers.  
Ras_Growstrong

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 05:15:38 PM »

I've heard of  this tribe Zoe before I think there in Brazil ... I've seen a report on them on the history channel.  I don't see the Kama adapting to that life style/standard of living then again I could be wrong. So I was looking for you to identify a society the actually works/ed that even you would give up all your "western ways" to possibly join. Does that society exist?

EmpressGong,

You say, "I dont judge that because I overstand its purpose and functions because I commited to study it."  

What is the purpose and function of polygamy?
Ras_Growstrong

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 08:10:53 PM »

Adultery is generally defined as consensual sexual intercourse by a married person with someone other than his or her lawful spouse.

Is one committing adultery if they have more then one lawful spouse?
Kama_Sutra
Senior User

Rasta man live up

unknown
Browser:
unknown

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 09:58:57 PM »

I've heard of  this tribe Zoe before I think there in Brazil ... I've seen a report on them on the history channel.  I don't see the Kama adapting to that life style/standard of living then again I could be wrong. So I was looking for you to identify a society the actually works/ed that even you would give up all your "western ways" to possibly join. Does that society exist?

EmpressGong,

You say, "I dont judge that because I overstand its purpose and functions because I commited to study it."  

What is the purpose and function of polygamy?

I spent most of my adult life living in a place where monkeys pee on my head when I wash my hair.  I got no problem giving up western ways.

Now could I live as the Zoe's live?  Probably not.
Ras_Growstrong

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 11:33:46 PM »

I'm not sure what your implying here .... we know the west did not create civilization.  So to be without western ways is not to live a uncivil life.

Seems you lived uncivil (allowing monkeys to piss in your hair) by choice as you were an adult.
Kama_Sutra
Senior User

Rasta man live up

unknown
Browser:
unknown

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 11:40:48 PM »

No I wasn't living uncivil, just bathing at my only water tap which was out on the veranda underneath the sun and a big tree that the monkeys would gather in.  Not that I "allowed" them to pee on me.  They just would time to time.  One tap per house is a norm in many places around the world.  Also common is for the tap to be outside of the house, like on a veranda.  

Polygyny or polyandry would not be considered "adultery" unless one took another wife or husband against the will and permission of the first partner.  If it is accepted in society and your partner agrees to it, where is the problem?
Ras_Growstrong

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 11:43:30 PM »

That is the Righteous way???  Emperor Haile Selassie is forth in line ... talk about polyandry 4 men,  children by 3

According to both published and unpublished reports, the then Woizero Menen Asfaw was given in marriage by her family, to the prominent Wollo nobleman, Dejazmach Ali of Cherecha, and bore him a daughter, Woizero Belaynesh Ali, and a son, Jantirar Asfaw Ali.2 This first marriage ended in divorce, and Woizero Menen then married Dejazmach Amede Ali Aba-Deyas, another very prominent nobleman of Wollo. She bore her second husband two children as well, a daughter Woizero Desta Amede, and a son Jantirar Gebregziabiher Amede.".2 Following the sudden death of her second husband, Woizero Menen's grandfather, Negus Mikael arranged her marriage to Ras Leul Seged Atnaf Seged, a prominent Shewan nobleman, who was considerably older than Woizero Menen, sometime in late 1909 or early 1910.

Woizero Menen probably met Dejazmach Tafari Makonnen (later Emperor Haile Selassie) at the home of her uncle, Lij Iyasu. The rapport between the two may have inspired Lij Iyasu to attempt to bind Dejazmach Tafari to him more firmly through marriage ties. He therefore arranged the separation of Woizero Menen from Ras Leul Seged, and sent her to Harar to marry Dejazmatch Tafari Makonnen.2 They were married in early August of 1911. Ras Leul Seged apparently did not hold a grudge against Dejazmatch Tafari for this circumstance, blaming it entirely on Lij Iyasu who had ordered it. He was among the leaders who fought on the side of Dejazmatch Tafari Makonnen in the battle of Segale, and died in that battle. The circumstances of the marriage and how it came about are allegedly detailed in the unpublished memoirs of Ras Imiru Haile Selassie, Emperor Haile Selassie's cousin and childhood companion, who was party to the marriage arrangements and was intimately acquainted with these events. It is also detailed in the recently published Amharic biography Tafari Makonnen, Rejimu ye Siltan Guzo ("Taffari Makonnen, the Long Journey to Power") by Ambassador Zewde Retta.

EmpressGong

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 12:55:14 AM »

Blessed Love

Commiting adultery and have more than one wife are two different things. Like I was saying, One man to one woman..monogamy. No mistresses no girlfrens..no adultery. The coming of the Christ was to change the slack ways of the people of Israel.

Anyhow Im not in a position to have hard core facts about my studies. It is also something you could research on your own. but I can certainly give you the jist of it as an institution of marriage.

Polygamy has to do with political, economic and social status and wealth. From a man's point of view, more wives shows more affluence because he must have the capital to pay his in laws to wed their daughter. A man usually has all his wives on the same compound but in separate homes.He must be able to afford all his wives and all his children.. The women take turn tending to him ie washin and cooking and laying in his bed. In later times before it was phased out by law, polygamy was  a strategy men used to gain political and economic wealth. Marrying the right woman meant her father or close Male relative had some sort of asset that the husband could gain for his own male line ie his brothers, father and sons. he could set up a business etc through their help.
From a woman's point of view, her family gains assets when she is married. the first wife of a man is usually the one appointed to handle the housing affairs on the compound. she is rationed the money which she distributes to her cowives. she is also allowed to set up a trade to gain her own income for her own kids in terms of givin them clothes etc. once her business is successful she is to either enlist the help of the cowives or help them in turn set up their own trade. Women when they take turns in tendin to the men are given more free time to do these trades, and to go visit their natal home because they would have moved away from their families when they married. they can help one another with compund duties. but the down part of course would be when wives are jealous and do not get along.

That is in a nutshell what I studied. It differs when its a patriarchal or matriarchal whether the wife or man is the one who really gains the wealth.You can further look that up if you wish. West Afrika practiced polygamy in those days before and during colonization. Ghana is a matriarchal country. You can study Kumasi Market women.

EmpressGong
Ras_Growstrong

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

My apologies to the Kama, you kind of throw me off with the monkeys and all ... sounds like a tranquil environment ... I to have only one main tap on my property ... but what was done is a pipe was extended from my main tap into my house then several taps were added to the pipes and before you know it I had a complete plumbing system.

Now that's how you lay pipe.

"Polygyny or polyandry would not be considered "adultery" unless one took another wife or husband against the will and permission of the first partner."  

This statement I would have to agree with ... in some since because someone in a polygamist relationship still could commit adultery if that affair happens outside of his lawful spouse.

Just because the wife says yeah you can do her does not make it right,  that relationship would be grounded on fornication.

The question I have is when did the west manage to trip the colored women out thinking polygamy is against God or unrighteous? And, having sex out of marriage is some how not right but Ok? The Bible does not speak against polygamy!

Empress, I think your on point here, "Polygamy has to do with political, economic and social status and wealth."  I'd add population control as well.

The rasta must deal with these disciplines too, huh?  
Rasta Nicks Forum

Pages: [1] 2 K-Detection © 2007
  Print  

Jump to: