Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: what is not ok to eat  (Read 6246 times)

bob1marley1988

what is not ok to eat
« on: June 23, 2004, 05:21:25 PM »

what is ok to eat & not ok to eat?? i know salt, meat ((especially pork)), & caffeine are not ok... but i still don't know the full story so somebody please help me with this ;D

Daniel

• Senior User
  • Rastafari
    • http://www.myspace.com/danieljohnson1983
Re: what is not ok to eat
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 09:55:29 PM »

The body is I temple so I&I take care not to put too much artificial things in it. I&I could not bear Iself to kill for example a cow for meat if there where no readymade meat available so I&I don't eat any living thing. I&I prefer fresh fruits and vegetables grown in an environmental friendly and most natural way as possible.

On the other hand,

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man." (Matthew 15:11)

I&I know this is no straight answer to the brothers question but I&I just wanted to share I&I reasoning.

Daniel

• Senior User
  • Rastafari
    • http://www.myspace.com/danieljohnson1983
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 10:10:24 PM »

For those following the vow of the nazarite, the main reference to dreadlocks in the Bible, one should check this verse.

"He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried. All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk." (Numbers 6:3-4)

greentheheart

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 06:34:02 AM »

Deep down you know what your body would prefer, and you must listen to your body......there is much indigestion in this country because so many do not listen and eat things that they've been brainwashed into thinking is good. So many addicted because big business puts additives that turn men into glutons. Do not eat these things, you only add to the wave of glutony across the nation!

Last time I ate junk food I had for very cheap quantities of very unhealthy food that could fill three mens bellies but is meant for one person. Children ran around loud and crazy from all the unhealthy sugers and salts that shouldn't be in them and they're bodies fight to burn off.....children are being taught from birth that eating meat and killing is necassery to survival (I remember from kindergarden classes....noone ever spoke of the vegetarian possibility to us.)

Your heart tells you (literally and figuratively) what to eat. I just listen to what it says to me.....I'm naturally drawn to green, and so much of my food is thus.

I beleive the common beleif among rastas is that Jah gives us plenty to survive without having to cause undue pain and suffering to other creatures, so why do so? As to caffeine, alcohol, all such, I think maybe they are ok once in a while, but for the most part are damaging so why not make bhang instead!?

For every unhealthy thing Babylon produces to make money off of, there is a healthy alternative. Humans just need to get off there ass's and stop being so apethetic. (sorry if I seemed inflamed, but I am in part a healer, and the food in commen culture is cause for much heartache to my deepest...)

Wambly

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 07:14:44 AM »

Greetings,

I work as a Chef and have become interested in the Rasta way.

I have several questions if you could be so kind as to quench my curiosity.

Why the aversion to salt?
Much that is written here is close to the organic movement in the USA and as such I could understand staying away from the good old Morton's 'when it rains it pours' variety... but aversion to all salt?
Would it be improper to lightly season with salt harvested directly from the sea? Or is this aversion based on scripture?

I was under the impression that fish was a part of the Rasta diet. Is this a fallacy?

I realize that these are some pretty general questions. Not all Rasta eat the same. As far as I know there is no written law for what is and what isn't a Rasta diet.... I am just trying to get a general idea. (I continue to study the Kosher laws and find them fascinating)

May the Lord God bless you and yours

Respectfully,
Wambly

Amandel

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 04:23:46 PM »

Misgana,

Chef Wambly
People often confuse the concept 'salt'. When we are told not to eat salt, they don't mean any kind of salt. Salt "made by humans" , so salt that is made through chemical reaction is not allowed to be consumed by rasta. However sea salt it allowed and in some cases they do accept salt from the earth.

Btw can you clarify to some people on the forum, that the seasoning they buy in the shop has "man-made salt" in it, and that is why it has a salty taste to it. Rastas are allowed to season they food, but always bear in mind when doing so , that the ingredients should be natural.
Hope i've answer your questions.

Misgana,
Empress_ez

Wambly

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 01:18:31 AM »

Greetings,

Thank you, Empress_ez, for the sharing of your knowledge. I have benefited.

To answer you request I feel a couple of definitions are needed first ...

Table salt - this type of salt is ground very fine, Iodine is added for nutritional reasons and other additives for pour-ability.

Sea salt - this type of salt is taken directly from the sea by means of evaporation

Kosher salt- this salt is a large grain salt with no additives but usually taken from mines (Morton's Kosher is somewhat different in that they do include one additive for pour-ability). The salt itself isn't Kosher, but it is used in the preparation of Kosher items. The large grains make this salt perfect for preservation because they are more absorbent.

There are other forms of natural salt that are mined. Most of these are not as pure as sea salt in that they are contaminated by the surrounding minerals.

If one goes to the market and picks up a container of "Cajun spice rub" or any other type of spice mix you will probably find that the first item listed on the ingredients is salt. Not good.

This salt will be the table variety for several reasons.
It is the most common variety to be found therefore the least expensive, it is ground small enough to fit through the shaker top of the container, it is already treated so that it will not cake. If you questioned the manufacturer they would also claim they are doing their customers a service by adding the iodine.

The huge amount of salt in these products is due to taste testing panels. The average American eats 6000mg of salt a day. The body only needs around 1000 or less mg a day.
You can survive on 500mg a day.
People that are that salty to start with will crave the stuff.

Most chefs worth their salt (all puns intended) will not buy these types of mixes due to the lack of control.
If you make your own blends you can control the type and quantity of the salt along with getting a balance of herbs and spices that meet your or your customer's taste. The freshness can also be a factor. The longer a spice is held the less flavor it has so you add more, meaning you add more salt in the bargain.

When I make spice blends I usually don't even add salt. I will salt the item separately to assure the amount added.
I use Kosher salt almost exclusively.

A little trivia ... a person being "worth their salt" comes from a time when slaves were bought with salt.

My The Lord God bless you and yours

Respectfully,
Wambly

Dauru

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 05:39:46 PM »

Besides the obvious, meat, meat products, dairy, salt, caffeine etc. be sure to read your labels when shopping.  We should all be aware of mad cow disease by now.  A young woman in Florida recently died from it.

Just about everything is genetically engineered nowadays including the soybean...

[glb]Canola oil[/glb] is not meant for human consumption but is a type of lubricant for machinery but is widely available and included in all types of foods and sold in many health food stores as something organic and good for you.   It is derived from a plant known as rapeseed.

Watch for dyes and coloring, yellow # this and that red # this or that are known to cause ADD [Attention Deficit Disorder]. Other chemicals and additives that are also included.

Everything in the health food store is not "kosher" so to speak.

Some corn has been crossbred with pig genes.  There are farmers who have said they can no longer certify their crops as organic because "someone" has sprayed their crops.

http://www.cseindia.org/

A couple years back "Stove Top Stuffing" was sued by a group of consumers becaue it is not even a "food" product but some sort of chemical concoction.

Notice the allergy information included on labels as well as the type of equipment that the product was produced on and what else is produced in the particular plant etc.

Read your labels carefully if you dont know what it is dont eat it.  Do your research as well there is information available on the internet.[glb][/glb][glb][/glb]

greentheheart

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 09:19:12 AM »

personally I beleive all beings with eyes you should not eat, because eyes are a manifestation of choice, and making decisions is means you have a cognitive mind. You can decide with the eyes wether or not to perceive the physical world as we percieve it. It is the same with ears and mouth, though my emphasis is on the eyes.

That is why to a degree it's ok to eat plants, because they are living creatures, but creatures of a different porpuse than those that are cognitive. If I could live without eating them too, I would though, because I do beleive they are alive, living creatures.

To keep these things pure while you ingest them is a sign of respect, so I try to keep from anything tainted with impurity. Salt to me, in pure form, is unnatural to digest. There is enough salts in plants and beans and whatnot to servive off of. So why use additives for flavor? It is greedy, I say. You will find that nowadays things UNadultarated by civilizations unnatural additives will taste better and better, as real food will be so saturated with things unneccarily that it will taint the tastebuds and real food will be sought after for it's pureness.

greentheheart

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 09:20:25 AM »

i meant to say processed food will be saturated...

moonfall

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 04:09:05 PM »

what do you ues as like a sweetner, becaue i wanted to knoe if there is anything besides honey and sugar.  

thanks

keep the peace

ThinkingTree

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2004, 08:38:22 PM »

is cheese ok? and how do you get sea salt if you live landlocked?

RAS_LION

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 03:41:25 AM »

I have a question for Daniel, and Ones concerning nazarite vow. I dont overstand the reasoning on the not eating of grapes, or fruits from the vine? I searched and have not yet found. what the I's reasoning on that?

One response to the question of salt Wambly I. the reason I&I Rasta dont eat salt is because I&I are Black African people, and since morning I&I never really have it, inna zion I body adapted and received all the salt I need through plants, naturally. So when I&I were brought to the west, and made to eat european food with salt, it cause I to retain too much moisture, wich effects circulation, and causes high blood pressure......... wich is still killing millions of I&I!  Well many I's check for a minimum balance of salt to reduce risk, as far as health is concerned if they maintain balance they probably will be healthy, But I&I RASTAFARI Idren in the FULLness of culture have decided that no matter where in the world I&I rest , I&I will only eat as I did in Alkebulan Zion. What could be better for I&I body, and is yood for I spirit as well, for Man does not live by bread alone... I&I use coconut instead, as I base seasoning. Its not a substitute used to replace salt, but a flavor of it's own right. spice and flavor is a must but I&I dont really like the taste of salt.

So if the I ever prepare food for a Rasta Idren,(who will only rarely eat food prepared by someone outside him family) I I-spect the I's question, I hope that knowledge helps In that time. BLESSED LOVE, ISES!

ArkI

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 02:13:09 PM »

Ras Lion, here is what Jah revealed to I about the grapes.

When I first started my trod with RasTafarI, I didn't know why the grape was singled out as something I and I should stay away from. Even though I didn't know, I accepted it anyway and abstained from anything from the grape vine, and stayed away from all alcohol and flesh.

After a couple of years, I started asking Jah to show I why I shouldn't eat grapes. He finally gave I the answer one summer.

A few years ago, I was visiting my parents in a small town where I used to live, in Canada. I went to a park there that I have been to often in the past, and sat down and had some Ganja.

As I was sitting an old Mexican man started walking in my direction. Birds followed him as he came towards I. The Mexican man looked like a homeless man, I never saw him before in my life and I never saw him again afterward. And it is strange for something like this to happen in that town, because their was only one lady that appears homeless in that city, and even she wasn't really a vagrant, because she owned property, but she was poor.

The man asked if he could sit down beside I, and I said "OK". He said to I, "The birds followed me here, I can talk to the birds, you know". He then started speaking in Spanish to the birds. I noticed one of the birds walking in a shy kind of manner and the man said to I, "that one is shy".

The town is off of the St.Lawrence River in Canada. He pointed across the river towards the U.S.A and said to I, "you want to fight them" and then he shook his head and said, "the fight is not there, it is here" while pointing to his head.

He then held up a paper bag that had a can of beer in it and said, "I sometimes drink beer, but I don't like to drink wine because it brings down my powers"

So this was the answer to I question. There must be some property in grape that hinders I and I spiritual powers. For a Nazarite, this is unacceptable, because I and I are to be separated unto Jah and be holy.

But the spirit is more powerful than any physical thing, so it is not necessary to stay away from certain foods, but I think it is helpfull for a spiritual movement.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Banjo

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 04:27:28 PM »

"I sometimes drink beer, but I don't like to drink wine because it brings down my powers"

great line

Rise up
Jah Glory

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.