News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 5126 times)

Jayanno

• Full User
  • We free our people with music
Boxing
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »

As a sport its great, but what do you think of it?

Is it good to take anger out on a punch bag or have boxing matches, after all you are hurting someone but then again it is just a sport...

veiws?

Jah sit on mount Zion and rules all creation.

George

• Senior User
  • "...fighting against isms and skisms..."
Re: Boxing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »

Greetings,
Bro I watch boxing and have sparred a before, as you said boxing is a sport and nothing more. I don't believe that boxing is taking out your anger on someone however other may have different views. My RE teacher for instance thinks that it is cruel and if he had the power he would ban it, Two completely different opinions and I wil remain a fan of the sport for now :)
Jah Bless
"A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots" - Marcus Garvey

Ras Saadon

• Veteran User
  • Deuteronomy 30:19
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:58:25 PM »

InI have very mixed feelings about it, InI used to practice Thai-Boxing for 3 years, and on one hand its extremely violent, you sometimes get hurt and it feeling inappropriate for a Ras, but on the other hand all of us that boxed together were great friends and there was absolutely no hate\anger or any bad vibes, it actually brought us together, it strengthen the body&mind and InI sometimes really yearns for it and when InI did go to a practice not so long a go it felt amazing, so InI really cant say whether its "good" or "bad", on this one InI really cant settle I mind but for now the feeling that its too violent&inappropriate for a Ras conquers..

Jah Bless,
Ras Saadon.
"No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God." His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I.

rasta-in-babylon

• Full User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 06:15:48 AM »

InI apologize for the fact that this reply is quite late however,
InI have boxed for quite a while and have always felt that boxing is a release of all our violent abilities is a positive way, through sport. InI feel it is a positive release for abilities and emotions that would otherwise be released and become negative things. I have also met many other Rastafarian boxers, none of whom feel it violates their faith.
InI believe if InI did not box, InI would be more likely to get into some foolish street brawl or other negative actions. InI feel there is nothing wrong with the sport provided it is done in a sportsmanly manner (i.e. NOT Mike Tyson style)

Peace and Blessings

Molliebaz

• Full User
  • One Love
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 01:58:30 PM »

I do take on board what you say about boxing and I do realise some peole see it as a discipline and a sport that has saved many young men from falling into bad ways.  However,  I speak as a woman that would not wish a man that she loved to be injured in any way, or to become " punch drunk".  How would one deal with being the person that dealt the blow that puts another person into a coma ?  I wouldnt want somebody to be maimed for my entertainment.

rasta-in-babylon

• Full User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:41:52 PM »

InI overstand what the I is saying sister, but a lot of people don't fully overstand how safe boxing is.
Firstly, any trainer who's worth anything will carefully monitor students to see who is really fit to fight. Beginners don't just walk into the ring, it was many months before I first faced an opponent.
Secondly, the medical consent is required for further precautions.
Thirdly, the referee of any match is there to prevent any serious injury. While InI agree that this is not always effective, most often both the trainer and the referee are watching their fighters to ensure they are not done any lasting harm.
Lastly, disillusion yourself as to images of Rocky going the distance. Most boxing is done on the amateur level and looks nothing like Million Dollar Baby. The fights are 3 2-minute rounds, a total of 6 minutes, with breaks in between. Fighters are wearing headgear, and there are no points awarded for power, only skill is rewarded. I know of very few people who have been seriously injured from this type of competition and it is often a fun and positive pastime. My friends and InI often box when bored and never with disastrous results. Personally, InI feel boxing, when both players are conducting themselves as they should, is a great sport.

Tarantula

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 11:16:48 PM »

I do take on board what you say about boxing and I do realise some peole see it as a discipline and a sport that has saved many young men from falling into bad ways.  However,  I speak as a woman that would not wish a man that she loved to be injured in any way, or to become " punch drunk".  How would one deal with being the person that dealt the blow that puts another person into a coma ?  I wouldnt want somebody to be maimed for my entertainment.

i overstand on what you are saying sistren. If Jah meant there to be boxing, in my view we would be born with boxing gloves hanging on our unbillacle cords. Hurting one another isnt the way forward, even though some say boxing is safe? it still doesnt matter, human beings should not afflict damage onto eachothers flesh for this is just plain neanderthal behaviour in I eyes. Entertainment??? how can it be entertainment when you are seeing human beings nocking the blocks off eachother? It to I is sick entertainment, not the way forward atall.

rasta-in-babylon

• Full User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 04:36:48 AM »

InI never said it was a way forward. It is merely a pastime. Kicking a ball around or lifting weights doesn't move one forward either but they are valuable positive pastimes to keep ourselves healthy and ready to do Jah's work.

NyaInIJahLove

• Veteran User
  • InI Live 4Iva in JahLove
    • www.earthreggae.com
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 03:40:24 PM »

True Bred,
extreme sports of all kind involve risk of injury, however many people indulge in them as they feel the positive results outweigh the negative risks.
I sight the physical fitness is preferable to lack of fitness,and recently bought some gloves for I youth.
We have made a punching bag, and while I youth seem more interested in TV and computer games, and maybe a bit of music practice, I hope that as the weather warms up, they will use the punching bag more.
We have 5 boys and they love to wrestle and watch it, it grosses me out but I tolerate it, as it just seems to be a "guy thing" for some.
Still nuff raspect for any "physical discipline", has to be a positive on the whole.
Love and Blessings
Sistah Nyah
Come celebrate JahTime is Come
singers&players of instruments
JahLovers &Freedom Lovers
www.earthreggae.com

Shytoff

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 07:01:43 PM »

When the aggression becomes only sports.  It is not bad.

ke

• Veteran User
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 09:37:20 PM »

I used to box with my Friends and it was all positive vibrations.it built up our friendship
and also it is a great way for me to work out my frustrations on my bag. better the bag then a brotha. lol
blessings.
"each one teach one"-M1 from Dead Prez

wademanini

• Normal User
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »

ini is a great fan of boxing but ini dont agree with violence but overall ini think that boxing is just sport usually there is evel in the violence present in boxing so ini believe it ok

ke

• Veteran User
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 12:17:27 AM »

yes n plus its different from a fight on the street because in boxing there are rules n both fighters know what they are doing
"each one teach one"-M1 from Dead Prez

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 06:09:45 AM »

Boxing is cool.

I see a bit of trash talk, boxers get mashed, maybe it isn't the healthiest thing to do, but I don't often see anger in boxing.

There's a lot more anger in basketball and hockey here in the US.

As to "punch drunk" and injuries- that is sad- some people box far too much and too long- but old bull riders (no surprise there) end up punchier than boxers, and many many occupations have far higher risks of injury and far lower returns in almost every way.

It's not as bad as a lot of things.
That doesn't make it right.

I know my 15yo son and his friends like to punch one another.

I think it's nutty, but they like it.

WhatamIgonnado?

Bless up.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.