Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: RASTA SCHOOL  (Read 83786 times)

phoenixtears43

Re: RASTA SCHOOL
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »

InI sorry Idren, not much time lately =[  Ill start a new lesson soon :P

Jah Bless

mirat

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 12:57:04 AM »

irie. . .

mah question is. . in those christian have there prophets. . or saint. .
then who is ours??/

im really want to have this. coz im really innocent coz dont have holy book. . .

Ras_Nevoe

• "Da Prophet"
  • Senior User
  • Certified V.O.R.(Victim of Racism)
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 01:29:45 AM »

irie. . .

mah question is. . in those christian have there prophets. . or saint. .
then who is ours??/

im really want to have this. coz im really innocent coz dont have holy book. . .

I want to help you.......But first tell I what you know about Rastafari and H.I.M, and why you decided to become a ras(if you are ras).
"Everyone is crying out for peace, non is crying out for JUSTICE."--- Peter Tosh

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 10:56:19 PM »

Axum - The Ancient City

Axum - the site of Ethiopia’s most ancient city, has a history dating back more than 3000 years to when it was the hub of the Axumite Empire. The ruins of the ancient city of Aksum are found close to Ethiopia's northern border. They mark the location of the heart of ancient Ethiopia, when the Kingdom of Aksum was the most powerful state between the Eastern Roman Empire and Persia. The queen of Sheba made it her capital 1000 years before Christ. Long after its political decline in the 10th century, Ethiopian emperors continued to be crowned in Aksum.

The massive ruins, dating from between the 1st and the 13th century A.D., include monolithic obelisks, giant stelae, royal tombs and the ruins of ancient castles. All that remains now of Axum’s past glories are huge granite pillars (stelae), some fallen, some still perpendicular. Made of single blocks of granite, the tallest stood over 33 meters high – the largest monolith in the world. The tallest that still remains standing is 23 meters high.

At the kingdom's height, its rulers held sway over the Red Sea coast as far north as southern Egypt to Berbera in present-day Somalia in the south, and inland as far as the Nile Valley in modern Sudan. On the Arabian side of the Red Sea, the Aksumite rulers at times controlled the coast and much of the interior of Southwest Arabia in what is now modern Yemen. Much of the impetus for foreign conquest lay in the desire to control the maritime trade between the Roman Empire and India and adjoining lands.

From its capital on the Tigray Plateau, Aksum was in command of the trade of ivory with Sudan. Its success depended steady migrations of Greco-Roman merchants and ships landing on the port of Adulis. Among the African commodities that the Aksumites exported were gold, rhinoceros horn, ivory, incense, and obsidian; in return, they imported cloth, jewelry, glass, iron, olive oil, and wine.

It was probably the people of Meroë who were the first to be called Aithiopiai ("burnt faces") by the ancient Greeks, thus giving rise to the term Ethiopia that considerably later was used to designate the northern highlands of the Horn of Africa and its inhabitants.

Axumites devised an original architectural style and employed it in stone palaces and other public buildings. They also erected a series of carved stone stelae at Aksum as monuments to their deceased rulers. Some of these stelae are among the largest known from the ancient world. Greek was also widely used, especially for commercial transactions with the Hellenized world of the eastern Mediterranean. Even more remarkable and wholly unique for ancient Africa was the minting of coins over an approximately 300-year period. These coins, many with inlay of gold on bronze or silver, provide a chronology of the rulers of Aksum. One of the most important contributions the Aksumite state made to Ethiopian tradition was the establishment of the Christian Church.

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church was founded here in the 4th century and Axum remains the principal holy city of the Church. The 16th century cathedral of St. Mary of Zion was built on the site of a much older Church resembling that of the spectacular monastery Debre Damo which dates from the 4th century AD. Only a platform and wide stone steps remain from the earlier structure. The Cathedral is the repository of the crowns of some of Ethiopia’s former Emperors. According the Church legend it also houses the original Ark of the Covenant thus making St. May’s the holiest sanctuary in Ethiopia.

The Aksumites left behind a body of written records that, although not voluminous, are nonetheless a legacy otherwise bequeathed only by Egypt and Meroë among ancient African kingdoms.

http://www.axumcafe.com/axum.html

sistahvee

• Veteran User
  • Rasta Wombman will Prevail
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 10:59:01 PM »

Bless Up Idren

Nice lesson this...

Nuff Guidance

Sistah Vee
To he who much is given, much is required

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »

Lalibela, Ethiopia

the Rock churches

churches cut into a rock ledge

They say it's the 8th world wonder. A small town in the middle of the Ethiopian highlands. It's surrounded by a rocky and dry area where just in the raining period farmers can grow their crops. One's called Roha and the capital of the Zagwe Dynasty wich ruled over Ethiopia from the 10th century to the mid- 13th century. It was King Lalibela who build the 13 rock-hewn churches. In it carvings, some of saints other with mystical symbols.

Like more episodes in the long history of this country, there are a lot of legends about this King. One is that his older brother poisoned him and during a three days sleep he was brought to heaven, where he was shown a city of rock-hewn churches which he replicated. Others say that he went into exile to Jerusalem and got a vision to create a new Jerusalem.  

http://home.wanadoo.nl/spaansen/lalibela.htm

phoenixtears43

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 11:25:45 PM »

nice Ras Chucky!  lots of great info, thanks Idren.

Jah Bless

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »

SEEN I

I an I have nuff info I an I would love to share but the thing is that they are on video.. I an I will continue to share otherwise still

Bless
Posted on: March 13, 2007, 12:39:59 am
Some useful info

http://www.smithsonianeducation.org/migrations/rasta/rasessay.html

The Rastafari Vision and Culture

It is in the Rastafari movement, with its origins in Jamaica, that Ethiopianism has been most consistently elaborated for nearly seven decades. The biblical enthronement of Ras Tafari Makonnen in 1930 as His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I, King of King, Lord of Lords, and Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah was an event widely reported throughout the European and colonial world. It was the ensuing interpretation of the Solomonic symbols by which Ras Tafari took possession of a kingdom with an ancient biblical lineage which transformed Ethiopia into an African Zion for the nascent Rasta movement. The independence of Ethiopia as one of only two sovereign nations on the African continent ensured Selassie's placement at the symbolic center of the African world throughout the colonial and much of the post-colonial period. Indicative of this is the fact that the Organization of African Unity (founded in 1963 by H.I.M), is headquartered in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. To this day, it is the biblical imagery associated with the theocratic kingdom of Ethiopia which fuels a Rastafari vision of nationhood and underlies their deification of Emperor Haile Selassie.

Today, it is probably fair to say that when most people hear the word "Rastafari" they think of Bob Marley, the "king of reggae." Through his inspirational music, Marley did more to popularize and spread the Rasta message worldwide than any other single individual. But neither Marley or reggae represents the roots of the Rastafari experience. Reggae, as a music of populist black protest and experience which has had a formative experience upon Jamaican nationalism, emerged in Jamaica only during the early 1970s. For at least three decades previous to this, Rastafari in Jamaica were evolving an African-oriented culture based on their spiritual vision of repatriation to the African homeland.

The "Roots" or Elders of the movement have built upon earlier sources of African cultural pride, identification, and resistance such as those embodied by Jamaica's Maroons --runaway slaves who formed independent communities within the island's interior during the 17th century. Rastafari, in fact, must be seen as a religion and movement shaped by the African Diaspora and an explicit consciousness that black people are African 'exiles" outside their ancestral homeland. As one Rasta Elder stated, "Rastafari is a conception that was born at the moment that Europeans took the first black man out of Africa. They didn't know it then, but they were taking the first Rasta from his homeland."

From the early 1930s, Rastafari in Jamaica have developed a culture based on an Afrocentric reading of the Bible, on communal values, a strict vegetarian dietary code known as Ital, a distinctive dialect, and a ritual calendar devoted to, among other dates, the celebration of various Ethiopian holy days. Perhaps the most familiar feature of Rastafari culture is the growing and wearing of dreadlocks, uncombed and uncut hair which is allowed to knot and mat into distinctive locks. Rastafari regard the locks as both a sign of their African identity and a religious vow of their separation from the wider society they regard as Babylon . In the island of its birth, Rasta culture has also drawn upon distinctive African-Jamaican folk traditions which includes the development of a drumming style known as Nyabinghi . This term is similarly applied to the island-wide gatherings in which Rastafari brethren and sistren celebrate the important dates on an annual calendar.

With the advent of reggae, this deeper "roots culture" has spread throughout the Caribbean, to North American and European metropolis such as London, New York, Amsterdam, Toronto, and Washington, D.C., as well as to the African continent itself. This more recent growth and spread of the movement has resulted from a variety of factors. These include the migration of West Indians (e.g., Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Antiguans) to North America and Europe in search of employment, the travel of reggae musicians, and the more recent travel of traditional Rastafari Elders outside Jamaica. At the same time, many African American and West Indian individuals who have become Rastafari outside Jamaica now make "pilgrimages" to Jamaica to attend the island-wide religious ceremonies known as Nyabinghi and to seek out the deeper "roots culture" of the movement. Despite the fact that Rastafari continue to be widely misunderstood and stigmatized outside Jamaica, the movement embraces a non-violent ethic of "peace and love" and pursues a disciplined code of religious principles.

Since 1992 and the 100th anniversary of Haile Selassie's birth, the Rastafari settlement in Shashamane, Ethiopia (part of a land grant given to the black peoples of the West by Emperor Haile Selassie in 1955) has come to serve as a growing focal point for the movement's identification with Africa.

Posted on: March 13, 2007, 10:15:50 pm

SOMEONES"S THOUGHT ON RASTAFARI

I believe that the Rastafarians have been greatly underestimated by the outside world, including, to some extent, many elements in the Orthodox community. The classical Rastas were sophisticated theological and philosophical thinkers, not cargo-cultists worshiping newspaper photos of an African despot. They had discovered many sophisticated theological concepts for themselves, and had retraced many of the Christological and other debates of the early Church. They brought a truly rich cultural and artistic legacy, including some of the twentieth century's most moving hymnography..
While Abuna Yesehaq, at least, certainly seems to recognize this, in practise Rastas often seem to be told by the church that they must become Ethiopians in order to become Orthodox. Many are willing to do this, so great is their thirst for Truth and so acute their sense of having lost their true African culture. More, however, are not--and in a way rightly so. The Church is the poorer to the extent it does not incorporate what is good about the Rasta experience and instead tiresomely emphasizes the "heresy of emperor-worship" and "herbal sorcery". What is forgotten is that the existence of the Rastafari movement is a miracle: a forgotten people and a lost culture bringing itself by "reasonings" to the very edge of Orthodoxy. Surely this is a supernatural event, and so the Orthodox Rastas see it. An anonymous nyabingi chant goes:

Michael going to bring them, bring them to the Orthodox Church.

No matter what they do, no matter what they say.

Gabriel going to bring them, bring them to the Orthodox Church.

Raphael going to bring them, Uriel going to bring them,

Sorial going to bring them, Raguel going to bring them,

Fanuel going to bring them, bring them to the Orthodox Church.

I will conclude with a song by Berhane Selassie (Bob Marley), written around the time he was converting to Orthodoxy from the Twelve Tribes and summing up the whole Orthodox Rasta "seen":

Old pirates, yes, they rob I

Sold I to the merchant ships,

Minutes after they took I

From the bottomless pit.

But my hand was made strong

By the hand of the Almighty.

We followed in this generation, triumphantly.

Won't you help to sing these songs of freedom?

Cause all I ever have: redemption songs,

These songs of freedom.

This was the last song on the last album Marley released before his death.

more http://www.nomadfx.com/old/rasta1.html

mirat

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2007, 03:16:25 AM »

I want to help you.......But first tell I what you know about Rastafari and H.I.M, and why you decided to become a ras(if you are ras).

tanx mon...I accept JAH in me coz I have realize that in this world we have one GOD, ONE CREATOR. rastafari for me is a truth a reality that gives di man to live with a righteous path to ZION...his imperial majesty haile selassie 1 is di 'earth rightful ruler" di most loving,di evah sure,evah living..!!!!bredren i really need ur help to gain more understanding about H.I.M.,,,,me sayin I a rasta even I dont have those natty,but in mah heart JAH IS WID ME!

tanx mon!
one love!

sistahvee

• Veteran User
  • Rasta Wombman will Prevail
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2007, 05:01:21 AM »

Bless Up Idren

Here's a little something to meditate on...  Keep on absorbing the TRUTH as KNOWN by Rasta..

Nuff Love and Guidance

Higher Education
Monday, September 23, 1963

The Lion of Judah has prevailed
Haile Selassie I, Elect of God
King of Kings of Ethiopia

A well organized education should not be one which prepares students for a good remuneration alone. It should be one that can help and guide them towards acquiring clear thinking, a fruitful mind, and an elevated spirit.

The educated person that Ethiopia and countries of our level needs is not one who had stuffed bits of knowledge into his mind. The needed educated individual is one who uses the ideas he obtained from his lectures, books, and discussions to the best advantage of his own country and his own people. It is he who disseminates new ideas in harmony with the economic and social aspects of his own community so that fruitful results would be realized. This is the educated person who can show segments of knowledge he accumulated in his learning, inventiveness in a new situation.

Ethiopia is a country with her own culture and mores. These, our cultures and customs, more than being the legacy of our historical past, are characteristics of our Ethiopianness. We do not want our legacies and traditions to be lost. our wish and desire is that education develop, enrich, and modify them.

You all know the continuous effort that Ethiopia is exerting for the development of a profound and high standard education. We need educated and trained persons for research, for the study and development of our country's resources, for technology, for medicine, for the law, and the administration for our people according to their custom. These are the needs that constrain us to provide, at all levels, education free of charge. And students, ever mindful of this privilege, should endeavour to recompense their country and nation.

The opportunity for education, afforded to the fortunate in our country, is not given to them for a fashion or a mode. It is given for a purpose, for a task, for a high reponsibility for full and exhaustive use, for the benefit of our country, and the coming generation. We have just explained to you the type of result, and responsibility that we expect from you students. It is on you, the members of the faculty that we must rely for this result. We realize the heavy responsibility we have entrusted to you. We hope that you too, while believing and accepting your responsibilities as your sacred duties, will, produce for Ethiopia persons who take pride in you and their education and are ready for the call of service.

It is you who must mold the minds of your students that they may be wise, farsighted, intelligent, profound in their thinking, devoted to their country and government and fruitful in their work. It is you who must sense as the example.

On their part also, they will have to learn not only formal education but also self discipline that should be worthy to be inherited. May the Almighty God be with you in the fulfillment of your duties.

Posted on: March 14, 2007, 03:52:45 am
Whatever the task may be, man may begin it but he cannot complete it, unless God sustains and supports him. If he fails to accomplish the task on which he has set out, having worked to the best of his ability, he is not to be maligned by being called lazy.

http://www.jah-rastafari.com/selassie-words/show-jah-word.asp?word_id=work

Man may, at the onset, control the direction which events take, but once his choice is made, events soon escape his control and history proceeds by its own force and momentum.

Posted on: March 14, 2007, 03:54:44 am
Our programs undertaken in the economic field for augmenting the material welfare of Our subjects, has not made Us forget that, according to the words of the Bible. "man does not live by bread alone." We believe that the spiritual and moral welfare of Our people is as important as their material well-being. Thus, it is that following the liberation of Ethiopia from the yoke of the enemy. We have devoted a very large part of Our budget and national revenues for the establishment and development of schools. During this short period of ten years no less than fifteen secondary schools, of which the last, the General Wingate School, was opened by Ourselves this year, have been established directly as a result of Our initiative and direction. The number of students enrolled in schools in Ethiopia has nearly tripled during that same period. Shortly, the University, the foundation- stone of which We have laid, will be opened under Our direction. We face with confidence the future of public instruction in Ethiopia.

If We have made so many sacrifices for the education of Our youth. it is because We are convinced that only through intellectual progress and universal education can Ethiopia come into its own and make its just contribution to the history of the peoples of the Middle East. We believe that from truth alone is born liberty and that only an educated people can consider itself as really free and master of its fate. It is only with an educated people that representative and democratic organs of government can exercise their influence for national progress. Our Address from the Throne therefore testifies to the importance which We attach to education and, at the same time, to your role as representatives, in the development and progress of Our people....

Posted on: March 14, 2007, 03:55:42 am
In all the countries we have visited, we have noted that education is the basis for the greatness, the power, the pride and prosperity of a nation. This impression, together with the satisfaction that we have had from the students of our own educational institutions, whom we consider the principal instruments for the progress and well-being of Ethiopia, renews and strengthens our belief in education. If, therefore, education is the factor of everlasting significance in the greatness of a nation, it becomes the duty of every Ethiopian to strive for education and progress. What we have seen wherever we went has convinced us that education is as vital as life itself.

The foreign technicians and specialists are only employed to provide us with temporary assistance and training. It is the duty of everyone to strive for self-sufficiency by acquiring knowledge and experience.

To live always in dependence upon the assistance of others not only prevents a people from attaining its ideal, but also deprives life of its true significance and achievement.

We have seen again during our visit that God has not been partial in His divine creation. The difference of colour is a notion which has no significance and the futility of asserting a difference has now become obvious. The way in which Ethiopian youth has assimilated the knowledge of modern art and science, and the high academic achievements of the young men and women we have sent for higher education abroad, justifies our efforts and expectations. Our whole history testifies to the heroic deeds of our gallant people.

The fact that we have sown on fertile ground strengthens our hope that we shall realize the plans we have prepared in order to achieve our high ideals. After all, Ethiopia is second to none in her agricultural tradition. We are proud to say that our plans and achievements compare favorably with those of others.

If we have been able to accomplish what we had in mind to do, it is because the love and prayers of our people have always sustained us.

In conclusion, we would leave with you the thought that Ethiopia belongs equally to each and every Ethiopian, and we rely on you all, young and old alike, to play your proper constructive part in the great common task of fructifying in Ethiopia the results of our visits abroad. Nor will you fail in furthering the success of the program of modernization and development that we have outlined for our beloved country.

The thing that harms a nation most and cripples its strength is lack of enthusiasm and zeal to strive through education to raise itself to the level that other nations have attained. There is nothing we desire more than to see the full development of the natural resources of our Empire and the raising of the standard of living of our people. May the Almighty and Everlasting God continue to protect our people and bless our efforts, so that in His good time we may see the fruits of our endeavours."

Posted on: March 14, 2007, 03:56:38 am
The above link will guide the Idren to dozens (Over 80) of H.I.M.'s speeches and essays.  Something that will answer MANY.... MANY...MANY.... (Did InI already say Many?)  Questions about what H.I.M. think on this and that..Every GOOD RASTA school NEED to have access to these words spoken by H.I.M.

Blessings and Guidance and Good READING and STUDYING

Sistah Vee
To he who much is given, much is required

George

• Senior User
  • "...fighting against isms and skisms..."
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2007, 10:45:08 PM »

Greetings,

thanks very much phoenixtears I shall try and post some questions later on Ive been readin this for about half an hour ;) never noticed I was so interested, Keep this goin Bro my overstand still growin, Raspect

Jah bless

"A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots" - Marcus Garvey

RasLuke

• Full User
  • Praise JAH without apology =]
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 10:42:07 PM »

Do the I overstand the concept of The Holy Trinity, if the I overstand the concept of the holy trinity then the I knows the creator(father) isn't god but a part of the concept of god. GOD = "The Father, The Son and The Holy Irit" If the holy Irit is with I, and InI cease from sinning and repent, live I life in the direct footsteps of JAH, meaning perfect, righteous livity, with no imperfection, then InI is god in the form of the Holy Irit, the anointed one. Of course InI is not god because InI is still a sinner(InI no fraid fi admit it) but InI strive everyday to resist temptation and become perfect in the image of GOD, InI soon get there, though.

Greetings all here in Rasta School,
I just thought I'd bring this on under The Holy Trinity, while I'd agree with The Holy Trinity being "The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit" not all in Rastafari have the same conceptual grasp of The Holy Trinity, but in the House of the Bobo Ashanti, they never mention themselves as part of this Unity with The Holy Spirit, and their Trinity is represented by "Prince Emmanul I, Marcus Garvey I, JAH Rastafar I"

JAH Guidance
Tá athás an domhain orm nuair a chuala mé focáil an Prionsa ó Suaimhneas H.I.M Haile Selassie I. Níl aon éagla ar mo chroí mar mó chroí ar ngrá. Búiochas la Dhía.

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 01:06:12 AM »

SOME GOOD INFO..CHECK LINK FORE MORE INFO

http://huizen.daxis.nl/~henkt/christianity-and-slavery.html

A very generalized summary

Christianity of Slavery versus Christianity of Freedom
Ashtonishing enough in 1919 Ethiopia was banned from membership into the League of Nations because of a wide practice of slavery. But that depended on the definition of dependent labor and the rules of money economies. Nevertheless in 1923 slave trade in Ethiopia was abolished and existing slaves emancipated. Though it was more still a cultural system in feudal stage.

The most famous recent representative of a quite uninfluenced shape of Coptic Christianity was Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia (1892-1975). He inspired world famous peace-minded people like Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela. I'm no religious Christian, but this really made me think. Selassie himself spoke about Ethopian Coptic Christianity as a sleeping beauty. Haile Selassie became the prophet behind Rastafarian belief in Jamaica, after a visit in 1966. He caused the name 'Rasta' music, that is because his nickname was Rasta Tafari

Quotes of Haile Selassie I about Human Values I

Happiness shared with many creates a source of permanent affection and understanding, but private happiness is a temporary matter.

To develop oneself, one has to develop ones own initiative and perseverance, one has to strive in order to grow.

Laziness is the sole breeder of sin, poverty, and discontent
Independence means more than the granting of national flags and anthems. Without real and effective freedom in economic and political spheres, Liberty becomes a mere catch-phrase devoid of content.

Because peace cannot reign in an atmosphere reeking with poverty and hunger, we must explore and strengthen the means of feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and enlightening the illiterate.

Justice is the fundamental axiom for the survival of freedom and government.

Selassie Quotes about Human Values II

If the wealth of a person cannot be for the general welfare, what would he gain for himself but grudge and hatred?

The fruit of ones sweat and mental labor are always rewarding, not only to oneself, but also to ones succeeding generations.

The ultimate resource of a nation is its people.

Unless man becomes independent in his knowledge and capacity, what help he gets from others is little, but if he is self-dependent, he may be able to extend help to others.

Humanity by nature is gifted to think freely, but in order that his free thought should lead him to the goal of liberty and independence, his way of thinking must be shaped by the process of education. It is understood that the independence of the mind created individually will have as a result an independently minded nation.

Let us take pride in the fact that as free men, we attack and abhor racial discrimination on principle, where ever it is found and in what ever guise.

mirat

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 02:25:30 AM »

ORIGINS: THE GARVEYITE AFRICAN ORTHODOX CHURCH. Marcus Garvey was a Jamaican-born Blacknationalist leader whose Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) was the mostprominent Black Power organization of the 1920s. Although himself a Roman Catholic, Garveyencouraged his followers to imagine Jesus as Black and to organize their own church. Toemphasize that the new church was neither Catholic nor Protestant, the name"Orthodox" was adopted and the filioque (a phrase added to the Latin version ofthe Nicene creed in the early Middle Ages but rejected by the Orthodox) was dropped.

The African Orthodox Church entered into negotiations with the Russian Metropolia (now theOCA) for formal recognition as an Orthodox jurisdiction. Unfortunately, these negotiationsbroke down: the Metropolia demanded an unacceptable degree of administrative control,while the Garveyites wanted to promulgate whatever doctrines they chose. Eventually, theAfrican Orthodox bishop was consecrated by the "American Catholics", a groupwhich had rejected the authority of the Pope but was otherwise similar to the RomanChurch.

The Garveyite Church had thousands of members on three continents, and was a symbol ofanti-colonialism in Kenya and Uganda. The African Orthodox in those countries quicklybroke off relations with the New York church and instead became part of the GreekPatriarchate of Alexandria and fully Orthodox. The same process repeated in Ghana morerecently, where Fr. Kwami Labe, a graduate of St. Vladimir's Seminary in New York, hasbeen building a strong Orthodox community on the foundations laid by the Garveyites. (I amdistressed, however, that many now-canonical African Orthodox often seem almost ashamed oftheir "heretical" origins, and try to distance themselves from the earliermovement.)

Today the African Orthodox Church as such is largely defunct, although the parish of St.John Coltrane (!) in San Francisco remains quite active.

MORE ORIGINS: THE BLACK ISRAELITES. Black slaves always felt an obvious affinity to theenslaved Hebrews; a few took this sympathy to its logical extreme and claimed to be, infact, Jews. This movement probably existed in the U.S. during slavery times, and there was at least one Black convert in the synagogue of antebellum Charleston. The spread ofinformation about the Jewish "Falasha" minority in Ethiopia contributed to the growth of Black Judaism during the late 19th Century, and Jewish sects emerged in the northern ghettoes alongside Muslim ones. A number of these, and similar groups of morerecent origin, remain very active today.

These groups (a few of them very anti-Semitic in their claim of being "realJews") are in some cases "Christian", although with an Old Testamentemphasis. Frequently they claim that whites have distorted the text of the Bible, and there are attempts to "restore" the text.

One of these, of importance in this story, is the "Holy Piby", an occult bibleallegedly translated from "Amharic" and emphasizing the destruction of white"Babylonia" and the return of the Israelites to Africa, the true Zion. The Pibywas adopted by Rastafarians as the source of their liturgical texts.

bless up!

NyaInIJahLove

• Veteran User
  • InI Live 4Iva in JahLove
    • www.earthreggae.com
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2007, 03:02:08 AM »

Blessings,
               I am interested in finding out more bout the Coptic Church, and what role it plays in Rasta Faith? I and I am aware that there is a Jamaican Ethiopian Coptic church,but none here mention it, can anyone tell I more about it?
give thanks
Nya
Come celebrate JahTime is Come
singers&players of instruments
JahLovers &Freedom Lovers
www.earthreggae.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.