Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: RASTA SCHOOL  (Read 90619 times)

RAS_CHUCKY11

Re: RASTA SCHOOL
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »

RASPECT TO ALL THE I THEM

I man just doing what I can do when I can do

Alot of the I them might not know this but the land that bordered ETHIOPIA (which included all of the middle east and ASIA as well) from Europe and was the protector of ETHIOPA was called BABYLON....That was their only way in or out of Ethiopia and if they tried anything they would be overthrown..... The Europeans didnt like them as they were the ones that prevented them from infiltrating ETHIOPIA and thats how the name BABYLON was changed to something bad...They had to go around by sea to get into Ethiopia .... Also the first People were call the PUNTS..which the word planet derived from..Even Egypt went to them for teachings when there was still a portion of Ethiopia called PUNT where they kept the tradition going...Its said that they might be the same people that lives in the Kalahari that they call BUSHMEN

and look whats going on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3884683.stm
Posted on: May 01, 2007, 06:49:28 pm
ENCYCLOPEDIA

he Bushmen (also known as Basarwa in Tswana, or San in Nama) are an indigenous population of the Kalahari Desert, which spans South Africa and neighboring Botswana and Namibia as well southern Angola. They were traditionally a hunter-gather people, part of the Khoisan group and are related to the traditionally pastoral Khoikhoi, but starting in the 1950s though the 1990s they switched to farming with only minor hunting and gathering activities.[1] Archaeological evidence suggests that they have lived in southern Africa (and probably other areas of Africa) for at least 22,000 years but probably much longer. Genetic evidence suggests they are one of the oldest, if not the oldest, peoples in the world—a "genetic Adam" according to Spencer Wells, from which all the worlds ethnic groups can ultimately trace genetic heritage.[2]

The Bushmen groups suffered when formerly open land became game preserves or cattle ranches, restricting their access to wild foods, while governments and aid agencies continued to believe the "myth" that they gathered most of their diet, or even wished to do so (most did not). In 1965, a fence along the Namibia-Botswana border divided the formerly continuous Kalahari foraging lands, causing a massive die-off of migratory animals which piled up dead along the fence trying to reach food and water. During the 1970s, most of the Ju/'hoansi group abandoned their wandering lifestyle to raise loaned cattle in semipermanent villages. Foraging currently supplies around 30% of the Ju/'hoansi diet near the village of Dobe compared to 85% in 1964, reflecting the increasing untenability of hunting and gathering in the face of population expansion into hunter-gatherer territories, overgrazing of wild food plants by cattle, and the availability of alternative lifestyles such as gardening with additional governmental provision such as bored wells. Domestic animals, sugar products, garden produce, and mealie-meal are now major foods. Of grave concern are tenuous land control and the destruction of vital water pumps by elephants.[citation needed]

mirat

« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2007, 01:46:35 AM »

nice post bredda...

this thread wish ti go on....

seen,that african people is great...di oldest...
InI think they are di real and simple human in dis earth..than those inna city...

LOVE 2 ALL!

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2007, 05:54:09 PM »

Greetings

Blessup bredda Mirat

Every good reasonings I man find I will post it and leave it for each to decide for each their own overstanding

http://www.dreadi.supanet.com/index.htm

Istory

His Imperial Majesty was born on 23 July 1892 in the Ethiopian village of Ejersagoro in the province of Harerge and was the only child of ten to survive into adulthood. He was simply known as Tafari Makonnen until the age of thirteen when he was named Dejazmach "Commander of the gate or door" and made governor of a small region southwest of Harer in 1905.
     With the naming of Menilek's daughter as Empress Zawditu I in 1916 Dejazmach Tafari was proclaimed Crown Prince with the rank of Ras and Regent of Ethiopia. Then in 1928 Empress Zawditu I decreed a new royalty, His Majesty Negus "King" Tafari Makonnen, Heir to the Throne of Ethiopia.
     On 2 November 1930 "All Souls Day" Negus Tafari was crowned His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Sellassie I, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, The Conquering Lion Of Judah, Elect of Himself, Light of the World, King of Zion. This is the 225th King upon the throne of King David through the union of King Solomon and Makeda the Queen of Sheba.

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." St. Matthew 16.v28
"And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof." Rev.5.v5
"And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS." Rev.19.v15
"Then I heard a voice saying to me, "Look in front of you and consider what you see." When I looked, I saw what seemed to be a Lion roused from the forest, roaring; and I heard how it uttered a human voice to the Eagle, and spoke saying, "Are you not the one that remains that I had made to reign in my world, so that the end of my times might come through them? You have conquered all that have gone before; and you have held sway over the world with great terror, and over all the earth with grievous oppression; and for so long you have lived on the earth with deceit.
You have judged the earth, but not with truth, for you have oppressed the meek and injured the peaceable; you have hated those who tell the truth, and have loved liars; you have destroyed the homes of those who brought forth fruit, and have laid low the walls of those who did you no harm. Your insolence has come up before the Most High, and your pride to the Mighty One...." 2 Esdras 11.v36
This is the interpretation...."And as for the Lion whom you saw rousing up out of the forest and roaring and speaking to the Eagle and reproving him for his unrighteousness, and as for all his words that you have heard, this is the Messiah whom the Most High has kept until the end of days, who will arise from the offspring of david, and will come and speak with them. He will denounce them for their ungodliness and for their wickedness, and will display before them their contemptuous dealings. For first he will bring them alive before his judgement seat, and when he has reproved them, then he will destroy them." 2 Esdras 12.v31
Haile Sellassie, the ruler, the perfect exemplar to a nation, was a man obsessed by his task of leading Ethiopia into the modern world. He fought for justice and fairness for the smaller nations of the world and he spared no effort, as far as his considerable abilities allowed, to do what he believed would be best to achieve that end. A major political success, at the time, was gaining Ethiopia's entrance into the League of Nations in 1923 and later he became known as the Patron of African Unity with the creation of the Organisation of African Unity in 1963. His Majesty also set aside land in Ethiopia for all those, scattered throughout the world, who wished to return to the land of our ancestry. He didn't have to do this, for most of the peoples taken into slavery were from west Africa. Faithful throughout his life to his self-imposed mission, he remains, 'every inch a king'.

For many of us, this man fulfills prophecy just by his existence on earth for no other could proclaim lineage from the root of Jesse. The union of King Solomon and Queen Makeda of Sheba (Ethiopia) produced a son, Menelik I, who brought with him to Ethiopia, after a visit to his father, the Ark of the Covenant. Ethiopia was one of the first Christian nations and the only one that performs ancient ceremonies relating to the Ark. It was Ethiopia who sheltered Islam in its beginning when the arabs were persecuting the Muslims. The prophet Muhammad sent his followers to Ethiopia where they were protected by the Negus of that time.
To deny the importance of His Majesty's presence(Christ in his Kingly character) is to deny the ancient history of Ethiopia and to deny the ancient history of Ethiopia is to deny the importance of Ethiopia, birthplace of mankind!

His foundation is in the holy mountains.
Jah loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of Jah. Selah
I will make mention of Rahab and babylon to them that know I: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia: this man was born there.
And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her.
The Lord shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah
As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there: all my springs are in thee. Jah Rastafari

"We are content to let history judge the wisdom of our actions"

sistahvee

• Veteran User
  • Rasta Wombman will Prevail
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2007, 07:49:54 PM »

Bless Up Ras Chucky

The I is an EXCELLENT example on how the small things we take time to do can have such an amazing effect.  InI cannot say enough thanks to the I as an Uplifting Rastaman who attempts to Practice what he Preaches.

Nuff Love and Raspect

Sistah Vee
To he who much is given, much is required

mirat

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2007, 02:00:27 AM »

Ras chucky,
 InI think they are di one on di movie (g-d must be c*a*y)...

a bush men...
wat can yuh say?

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »

Blessup sistahvee and mirat

Yes Iyah..Its them same one....

another article from http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/articles/Rastafarian_and_Religion.html

Rastafari and Religion
By: Baba Ras Marcus
December 09, 2004

Be at peace with the Creator who ever you conceive him to be, for the Creator is in Ethiopia, but he is also in every single part of the earth, sea, and sky at the same time, he is in humanity and also in all living creatures at the same time, the Creator is everywhere, and there are no limits that can be placed on him or her geographically speaking.

The birds and other creatures do sing their praise in their own unique ways, and they are truly living closer to the laws of Mother Nature and Father Time, more than any human being upon the face of this earth including myself.

There are some very serious lessons to be learned and we should widen our internal mental and spiritual faculties, and learn as much as we can. We can believe as much as we want to believe, but when we know, that is when we achieve knowledge. We must be very careful, that we are not teaching things to our people which we cannot prove; religion is a very dangerous weapon of minds destruction. Let your yes be yes and your no be no, words are very important, but the actions which we take are much more important than the words which we speak.

To be very truthful, many of our people who became Rastafari people were originally members of the European religion, which was forced upon our people by the slave masters, who deliberately tried to rid us of every inch of African culture and heritage which they could. They, who invented the slave trading practices against African people, were prominent in the European religion. They went to church on Sundays; they read their bible and considered themselves, to be good decent people, while having many shackled slaves on their plantations, who they whipped when they feel that it was necessary; since we were considered to be merchandise property which they own. They also forced their religion on us, and if we refused then we would be punished, like they did to Kunta Kinte. They boasted that it was a good thing that they had kidnapped us, since it was helpful in Christianizing us as a race of people.

So when most of us were children, our parents had these European picture of Jesus Christ in their houses, and were also members of the various European churches, they were the Roman Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Church of God, Revival, Pocominia, the Salvation Army and all the various kinds of religions, which were based on the teachings of the Europeans, and there Christian teachings. As children our parents would take us along with them to these churches on Sundays, and other days when ever there were some kind of church activities. My parents were members of the Salvation Army, and they would keep meetings on the street corners, and I can remember them singing this song, the Lion of Judah shall break every chain and give us a victory again and again, I was a very small boy then and was trying to play that big drum which they had at that time.

The point which I am trying to make here is that, people who became Rastafari people, had already been through the European's religious doctrines and churches, since their parents made sure that they were always going to church with them, since this was a family thing to do. But when Marcus Garvey and other advocates of African heritage and legacy started to teach that there is an African way of life for us as a people, this became a very fertile ground for consciousness, but it became more so, when he spoke about the Great African King to be Crowned in Ethiopia. That is to say that since Rastafari people have already been through European Christianity and churches, it became quite amazing that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which should be really in touch with the ideology and teachings of the Rastafari movement, were asking Rastafari people to cut their locks, and was also preaching the same doctrine of Christianity, which they have already gone through, and were at that time, living as close to nature as they could.

Ras Iyly was one of the young Priest, who helped to conduct the funeral rights of Bob Marley, he was a dreadlock brother who was a member of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in Jamaica, this brother was very close to me in that he respected me as an Elder, and also we were able to reason on a weekly basis, since my immediate neighbor was also a member of that church and so Ras Iyly would visit on a weekly basis, sometimes twice weekly since they had to take the bus from Spanish Town to go to the church in Kingston, this church was at the top of Maxfield Avenue in Kingston Jamaica.

Ras Iyly was so involved in the church, that he decided to become a priest, and he did become a priest, but to become a priest he had to cut his locks, as a result he was able to assist in the funeral rights of Bob Marley's funeral. When the Ethiopian Orthodox Church came to Jamaica, internally it was welcomed by the Rastafari people, as a direct hopeful connection to Ethiopia and Ethiopians, but when it was discovered that it was in contradiction of the teachings of the Rastafari Movement, much fire was cast verbally upon the church, and true Rastafari people who have been fighting against the teachings of Babylon religion, completely despised the church and it's teachings.

At the same time there were those who believed in the church but could not hold any official position, unless they cut their dreadlocks and take the oath in the name of Jesus Christ. There has been much division in that church, and I think there was a big split in leadership and members, which even led to a lawsuit so as to prove legally, who was the rightful leader or bishop or whatever the titles may be. I do think that the split still remains where some members favor one leader and some favor the other, as is normally done in all of these religious groups.

Some of the things which we teach and preach in the early days as Rastafari people, needs to be reviewed, and to be reformed to a higher level of realization, so that our African people, can follow clearly our direction and good intentions. We have been preaching Ethiopia for the Ethiopians those at home and those abroad for all these years. We have proudly told the world that we are not Jamaicans, Americans, Trinidadians, Barbadians or whatever, we are Africans abroad, and yet today, there are Rastafari people who have managed to reach Ethiopia the land of our fathers, and are living on that land Shashamane, which was given in 1948, to Africans in the western world by Ras Tafari Makonen, to be inhabited and be developed by pioneers, with a promise that more land would be granted from time to time as the need arises.

I have grown up with some of the Rastafari people who are now living on that land, but they were not allowed to call themselves Ethiopian officially, they had to form a movement which is called, the Jamaican Rastafari Community Development, which is indeed a great contradiction to what we teach, we teach that we were not Jamaicans we were Africans who were born in Jamaica, as A RESULT OF SLAVE TRADING ACTIVITIES. Therefore, there are some lessons to be learnt.

African leaders have not yet reached that conscious stage of mental advancement, where they say with conviction that Africans abroad, have the right to come home to Africa, and be accepted and be recognized as citizens of the continent of Mama Africa. They have not yet reached that state of mind where they can empower themselves, to change the constitution of their Governments, and also change their immigration laws, to facilitate the noble welcome home of African patriots and liberators, who have been struggling for the United States of African people for so many years.

Certainly too much time is being wasted arguing about who is the Creator or who is not the Creator, the Creator is who he or she is and nobody can change that regardless of which book or books they may read and believe in. The Creator is really that universal internal power which exists in all living things upon the face of this earth. The Creator is called by different names in various languages, therefore there is no need to be in contention about who the Creator his, or who he is not, because the Creator remain the Creator regardless of the opinions of individuals. Since the Creator will bring different experiences to different people at different times, each person should just try to be at peace with his or herself whoever or whatever he or she may conceive the Creator to be.

Let the birds worship and praise the Creator in their own way, let all creatures praise the Creator in their own way for their experience of the Creator is quite different from ours as humanity. There is still much for us to learn, let us just humble ourselves and do just that.

Again I send many oceans of blessings and self determination to African people everywhere
ONE BLACK LOVE ONE BLACK HEART
Baba Ras Marcus

Posted on: May 05, 2007, 07:22:43 pm
http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/articles/Rastafarian_Reformation.html

It's Time For A World Rastafarian Reformation
December 16, 2001
By: Paul Barton

AS RASTAFARI SPREADS WORLDWIDE WE MUST WORK TO IMPROVE, REFORM AND MOVE TO A HIGHER LEVEL

Rastafari may have its origins in the Ethiopian Jewish Traditions, which has their origins in the ancient religions of Nubia-Kush and Khemet (Egypt). If we understand that the land of Ethioipa mentioned in the Bible was in fact Sudan, a land now occupied by Arabs, where Blacks are being treated worse than animals, we will also search and understand that the system of African Kingship of Which the Ethiopian Monarchy was part of, came from Nubia (Ta-Seti) before it was carried on to Egypt and then copied by the Jews, who during the 900's B.C., elected their first king.

RETURNING TO THE ROOTS OF Rastafari

In order to understand the very ancient roots of Rastafari, one has to look at two main groups of Africans whose origins come from ANCIENT EGYPT. One group is the Massai of East Africa who some say are remnants of the "Matoi" or warrior class of ancient Egypt and Nubia-Kush. Rastafari or a similar system of beliefs (without the Abbysinian aspect (modern Ethiopia) also come from the Priestly traditions of ancient Egypt and Nubia-Kush. When we speak of Nyabingi, we are referring to these two aspects of the African warrior/priest tradition. That is the tradition that the Ethiopian warrior/priest societies as well as the ancient Black Jews followed. Rastafari introduced in Jamaica included other elements, such as the recognition of Emperor Haile Salessi's importance in that religion. Yet, we must see Rastafari before Selessi in order to understand it fully.

WHY A REFORMATION IS NEEDED IN Rastafari

Rastafarians and Black people as well as others who believe in Rastafari must work to return the idea of spiritual and social development into the Rastafarian faith. If we return to the origins of Rastafari as extentions of the ancient Egyptian and Nubian traditions of the trained priest and warrior, we would work to bring about a new attitude among Rastafarians, that has always been in the movement, but has been restricted in many cases to music.

RASTARARIANS AND THE ANCIENT TRADITION OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND EDUCATION

One of the greatest aspects of African civilization has been education. The Rastafarian and Coptic as well as the Beta Isreal Jews of Ethiopia have and still have as part of their culture the highest regard for education, science, technoology and religion. To the ancients, these were manifestations of the greatness of God and not separable as in European Christianity. Hence, like he Sikhs of India, Rastafarians should introduce the education mentality. It should be ingrained in Rastafarians as well as Blacks worldwide. The Rastafarians, Black Jews, Coptics, Niyabingi Warriors and even the ancient Workers Guild System of West Africa placed a high priority on education and the gaining of knowledge. ONE OF THE ASPECTS OF RASTAFARIAN REFORMATION SHOULD BE TO DOMINATE AND ACHIEVE AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS OF EDUCATION.

ECONOMICS, AGRICULTURE AND SCIENCE ARE PART OF RASTAFARIANS' ANCIENT HISTORY AND CULTURE

There should also be a move to develop strong economies among the world Rastafarian community in the fields of agriculture, science and the arts/literature. This is already taking place and more should occur (see "Black Education," http://community.webtv.net/paulnubiaempire. Not only should Rastafarians be artists, musicians and entertainers but there should be a move to prepare and encourage Rastafarians to enter into the sciences, technologies agriculture, commerce and other areas of advancement, just as India's Sikhs, Nigerias Yorubas (who are also African Spiritualists) and some of the the worlds most effective businessmen and women.

THE DEVELOPMENT OF Rastafari SPIRITUALISM AND MYSTICISM

The Rastafarian community worldwide should also develop the deeply spiritual and mystic aspects of Rastafari. These aspects include meditation and developing the power of the mind beyond anything understandable today. One important part of African religion is the fact that there is a belief that we are in FACT PEOPLE OF GOD AND CONTAIN THE POWERS OF THE GODHEAD WITHIN US.

MAKING CONTRIBUTIONS TO OUR SOCIETIES

Rastafarians must be very strong and dedicated to the improvement of the lives of people whether they are Rastafarians or not. As mentioned before, the push to achieve to succeed and to become professional who can make a difference (as many Indian Sikhs and Nigerian Spiritualists are doing ), will help to improve the image of Rastafarians on a worldwide scale. Such a move will also change the negative mentalities of many who will quickly accept WESTERN RELIGIONS THAT CLASSIFY BLACKS AS BEING LESS OR BEING "CURSED" (IE THE "CURSE OF HAM" MYTH), or religions that insult or place Blacks in a Caste-racist situation, or classify Blacks as "infidels" and commit genocide against them. Yet, they will sneer and turn their noses at the Spiritualist African religions that contributed to our survival or look down their noses at Rastafarians. We may not care what others think, but we should still work to improve our lives and contribute to this earth.

THE PROPER USE AND ACCUMULATION OF WEALTH BY RASTAFARIANS

One of the greatest problems we Blacks face worldwide is the FALSE BELIEF THAT GOD WANTS BLACK PEOPLE TO BE POOR, because we will be rich and better off in heaven. Well, we should not continue believing in this myth. If that was the case, the Isrealites, the Jews, the various religions on the planet would not work to improve their economic conditions. The only way Jews, Catholics, Protestants an other religions can help the poor and help improve the society is if and when they work to build their own wealth and economy.

RASTAFARIANS SHOULD BELIEVE IN THE CREATION OF WEALTH TO HELP MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS AND HELP THOSE WHO ARE POOR.

In retrospect, religion is the mirror to the soul. We must never discard religions that our ancestors introduced from Africa or we reintroduced in the world. We should work to reform and improve what needs to be improved and build our faith and belief to a strong level that helps us gain true salvation and a good life while we are living on this earth. The improvement of Black religions is very important to our improvement as a race and people (see the great work, "Susu and Susunomics: The Theory and Practice of Pan-African Trade, Commerce, Money and Wealth," published by IUniverse, Inc., 910 East Hamilton Avenue;Suite 100, Campbell, California, 95008 U.S.A www.iuniverse.com This is a very important blueprint for economic development. Every household, every government economic and cultural ministry should have a copy and examine the economic ideas. This book has helped to bring about change in a numnber of communities including being read by members of the Black Dalit community of India and various Black community leaders, individuals and economists in the U.S., Africa, Europe, the Caribbean and elsewhere communities.

See also the great works, "Susu Economics: The History of Pan-African Trade, Commerce, Money and Wealth," pub. by 1stBooks Library, 2959 Vernal Pike, Bloomington, Indiana 47404 U.S.A phone: 1(812) 339-8640 email; 1stbooks@1stbooks.com site; www.1stbooks.com A preview of this and other works at www.barnesandnoble.com

A most important work, "A History of the African-Olmecs: Black Civilizations of America from Prehistoric Times to the Present Era," pub. by www.1stbooks.com The most hidden aspect of Black history is the fact that great Black civilizations existed in the Americas before Columbus and there was a worldwide network of trade and commerce between the Old World and New World for thousands of years.

Paul Barton
Nubianem3@webtv.net
http://community.webtv.net/paulnubiaempire
www.westpapua.net (The racial genocide against Blacks in West Papua and Melanesia).

Ras Peter

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »

Greetings Ras Chucky

Thanks for these links Bredren.

Ras Pete

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2007, 06:34:55 PM »

jah_2_love

• Regular User
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2007, 01:02:03 AM »

Greetings in the name of The Most High Jah Rastafari

Ras Chucky it has been a blessing to be able to study these excellent additions the I makes to the Rasta School regular.  Can InI just say thanks to the I for taking the time here.

Jah_2_Love
He who has no sin, cast the first stone....  Beloved let us LOVE one another, for God is Love and everyone that Loveth is born of God and knoweth God!!!

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2007, 07:58:29 PM »

BLESSINGS EMPRESS

Its not I alone but much thanks

Blessup

sistahvee

• Veteran User
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2007, 10:44:31 PM »

Bless Up Ras Chucky

Ahh..Not the I alone InI know.   

But when InI came up with this Icept of Rasta School, Ras Matthew  was on his own with InI his only guide.  Then InI approached the I and together with a few others, you have assisted him GREATLY..  Ras Matthew is quite deligent also, but remembering he is yet a youth and still learning he depends on us elders to assist and Guide ... However the I is an excellent example of HUMBLE.

Nuff Love

Sistah Vee

mirat

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2007, 01:12:49 AM »

tanx making dis thread far...

InI really having great time on dis..
bless Ras Chucky,sistahvee,Ras matthew..

I-man learning to gain more knowledge...

LOVE 2 ALL!

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »

HAILE BLESS

Blessup..I man will add another site for the I them

check the link for more
http://groups.msn.com/TwelveTribesLiveUp/historypt2.msnw

THE KING'S VISIT
On April 21st, 1966, the Emperor came to Jamaica. He first visited Trinidad &  Tobago, then Jamaica. This was a joyous day for all Rastafarians who love the King. They traveled from all over the island, to welcome the Lion of Ethiopia. It was a very stormy day before his arrival. Certain Rastas quoted Psalms 18," He bowed the Heavens and darkness was under His Feet." To some, Haile Selassie actually brought the storm, & therefore he is truly the Almighty. Before the plane arrived, they declared that the rain would stop & it did. Ones even saw seven  white birds coming from the sky, & flying on the ground. The Ethiopian Airliner landed, & the Emperor came out. For the first time in his life, he saw people praising him as if he was the Most High. It is said, that he went back into the plane, & refused to come out.   
 When he finally stepped out,  tears came from his eyes. His Majesty uttered to the Rastas, " Holy Priests & Warriors are the Rastafari. Be still & know that I am He. " The Elect of Yah is here. His Majesty met the Jamaican delegates, while the people anxiously glimpsed the Lion of Judah. Let it be known though, that not all Rastas saw His Majesty as the Supreme Being. There were ones who only honored the King, not praised Him.  His Majesty drove with the officials, on his way to King's House. Some rode their bikes, & others ran just to see the Emperor. The King also came with his family on this Jamaican visit. Haile Selassie I, honored Marcus Garvey, & Jamaica's  patriots along the way.  At King's House, His Majesty was introduced to Prime Minister Hugh Bustamente, & his wife. He also met some Rastafarians, & gave them gold medals as gifts. At one of the conferences, he replied that Jamaicans & Ethiopians, are a family. jamaica   

His Majesty also taught Jamaicans about African History. He told the Rastas that Education must be their key.  While in Jamaica, he was honored with U.W.I's  (University of the West Indies) Doctrate of Law, & rumoured to be the King of Jamaica? This would have made the Rastas happy of course.  He also commented that Jamaicans are hard working people, & will help out in anyway he can. His Majesty listened to Jamaican, & Rastafarian music on his tour. Rastafarians played African drums for His Majesty & he loved it! For three days, He travelled from Kingston to Montego Bay. At Montego Bay Airport, His Majesty said farewell to Jamaica, & flew onward to Ethiopia. With the Emperor's visit, many Jamaicans were amazed that he actually allowed Rastafarians to see him. However, the Emperor told them, " Who am I to deny their Faith?" His Majesty really appreciates & loves Rastas, but some tried to prevent that. Rastafarians also say to those critics, " Who are you to criticise our Faith, without even knowing I n I? " Rastafari will always love H.I.M. with their hearts & souls.

MANY MANSIONS, ONE RASTAFARI HOUSE
"Build mansions, and dwell in them; "(Jer 29:5) Certain groups rose up in the Movement, since His Majesty's Jamaican visit, & even earlier. Such as the  Nyabinghi Order, Ethiopia Africa Black International Congress, The Twelve Tribes of Israel, Orthodox Rastafari, etc. etc. The Nyabinghi is the Ancient House in Rastafari, the Order, which influenced the other Rastafari mansions. All mansions praise the Most High, through African Hebraic spiritual rhythms,(drums, shakers, and tamborines)  which is traditional. Here are photos of the early Rastafari mansions. Nyabinghi  BoboShanti  12 Tribes Each house have their own views on who the Emperor is to them. Some exalt His Majesty as the Most High, or  the Messiah. While others see H.I.M. as Israel's King. However, Rastafari accepts the Divinity of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I, which is one of the foundational teachmants.  The works must be accomplished by all Rastafarians in the Movement. One House of Rastafari.  Rastafari needs to take heed to the Emperor's words, " Organise & Centralise, before coming to Ethiopia "

Posted on: May 09, 2007, 04:25:03 am

CAN'T FOOL RASTA, FARI TROD ON
Rastafarians heard that His Imperial Majesty was deposed by the Dergue in 1974. Then a year later the media broadcasted the Emperor's passing & burial in an unmarked grave by Mengistu's regime. However, Rastas disbelieved them. Even when they asumed they found H.I.M. remains in 1992, Rastafari chanted " Bone Lies!! " The fact is the King is physically with us anymore. But these bones were  never diagnostically proven to be his, it is nothing but a fabricated lie. However, on November 5th, 2000, a fake funeral was still held for Emperor Haile Selassie I.  This is nothing but a conspiracy by the Ethiopian Government and also the Ethiopian Orthodox Church in denying the King's divinity recognized by the Rastafari Community. But no matter what they try to do, Rastafarians will always love the King & never forget H.I.M. The spirit of Ras Tafari lives on within the Movement.   

It is now time for Rastafari's oneness, & the goal for Africa's redemption/ Repatriation. Babylon is trying to divide Rastafari, but that will be prevented from ever happening. Binghi, Bobo, Twelve Tribes, E.W.F, etc, must unite now. Rastafarians are all of one calling, Rastafari. So the Rastafari Community must put aside their differences, & labor together, there are plenty of works to be done. Fari have to fed the hungry, clothe the naked, nourish the sick, protect the  elderly, and care for the infants! " Babylon is falling & Ethiopia she is calling. Falling, Falling, Babylon is falling. Calling, calling, Ethiopia she is calling. (Bro. Sydney Salmon Reuben)" Rastafarians are repatriating to the land of Ethiopia and the whole African continent, & will reside there until the New Jerusalem is established by Shiloh(He whose right it is). We will praise the Most High together in Zion as Israelites, singing the same song, exalting the King of all kings. Til Shiloh Fari will chant Ras Tafari's name. (Ras Rootka Zebulun's thoughts). 

Posted on: May 09, 2007, 04:26:47 am
http://groups.msn.com/TwelveTribesLiveUp/sonsofnoah.msnw

Greetings in the Name of the Most High! The world should focus on love, but because of hate, this place is corrupt & pitiful. Still, we can make a better change now, by learning about Noah's three sons, where all human beings are traced from biblically. Shem, Cham, and Yephet were united as brothers, & so can the world be! Let us read from the Bible.

Genesis 10:1
Now these are the generations of the sons of Noach, Shem, Cham, & Yephet: and unto them were sons born after the flood.

SONS OF SHEM
Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber, the brother of Yepheth the elder, even to him were children born. The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram. And the children of Aram; Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Mash. And Arphaxad begat Salah; and Salah begat Eber. And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Yoqtan. And Yoqtan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazar-maveth, and Yerah, And Hadoram, and Uzal, and Diklah, And Obal, and Abimael, and Sheba, And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Yoqtan. And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east. These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.  (21-31)

Shem's children also populated Africa, mainly Northeast Africa, & Asia. His  seed even migrated to the Caribbean/Pacific Islands.     

SONS OF HAM
And the sons of Cham; Cush, and Mitsrayim, and Phut, and Kana'an. And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtecha: and the sons of Raamah; Sheba, and Dedan. And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth. He was a mighty hunter before YAH: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before YAH. And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar. Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah, And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city. And Mitsrayim begat Ludim, and Anamim, and Lehabim, and Naphtuhim, And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (out of whom came Philistim,) and Caphtorim. And Kaanan begat Sidon his firstborn, and Heth, And the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgasite, And the Hivite, and the Arkite, and the Sinite, And the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite: and afterward were the families of the Kaanites spread abroad. And the border of the Kaanites was from Sidon, as thou comest to Gerar, unto Gaza; as thou goest, unto Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, even unto Lasha. These are the sons of Cham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations. (6-20) Check this pic of  Noah, Ham, & his four sons. Ham

We even read from Genesis, that Kana'an(Canaan) was cursed by Noach because Cham saw his nudity.  "And Noach began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.  And Cham, the father of Kana'an, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without. And Shem and Yephet took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness. And Noach awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said, Cursed be Kana'an; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. And he said, Blessed be Yahwah Elohiym of Shem; and Kana'an shall be his servant. Yah shall enlarge Yephet, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Kana'an shall be his servant. (Genesis 9: 21-27)

Some assume that the slave trade on African Edenites by Europeans, is the curse.  This is a totally erroneous, & supremist teaching. Noah only spoke against Ham's son, Canaan, not every Hamites. It is believed that Ham slept with Noah's wife and cause the curse on Canaan, Noah's grandson. The Kana'aniy did become servants unto Shem, & Yephet, through laboring, & paying homage to them like Noach prophecied. Cham's seed lived in northeast Africa, but later on migrated to the whole African continent.     

SONS OF JAPHETH
The sons of Yepheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Yavan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tirac. And the sons of Gomer; Ashkanaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah. And the sons of Yavan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim. By these were the isles of Gowy divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.( 2-5)

Yephet like his family was dark skinned. But his Yephetic generation turned out pale skinned unlike Shem and Cham's dark skinned progeny. Most people believe this occured because of their cold climatic migration, & and others say its from leprosy. Whatever the case maybe, Europeans are classified as being His  children, but not all Japhites were white though. There were still some who remained in the warmer regions being dark skinned. The Isles of Gentiles (the Mediterranean) also consist of these numerous dark skinned Gentiles. Shemites  seperated from Yephet's seed, & saw them as Gentiles(heathens), only because they didn't follow Yisra'el customs. "When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of 'Ahdawm, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Yisra'el.(Dueteronomy 32: 8) 

These are the families of the sons of Noach, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood. (Gen 10:31)

The Creator did divide the nations into three places, Africa, Asia, & Europe. Before the seven continents, these were the only territories that were populated by the people then.  New Jerusalem is where Yisrael and the great multitude will be gathered at in the Kingdom. The Bible show us all of YHWH's Children, Ham, Shem, & Japheth. Black, Brown, & White. Who came from Africa, Asia, & Europe when Noah's sons seperated from each other after the Great Flood. These three families should be unifying now. Racism must end, & we must move in One Love & Harmony! Because we all came from One Abba, YHWH! Acts 17:26 shows us this, "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation. " What does one blood mean to you? Doesn't that sound like racial unity? It sure does and it is a must!

ANCIENT ISRAEL
We must realise that Yisra'el, can be seen as Black people today, the Bible show us this. Lamentations 4 & 5, reveals an Edenic similarity.  Yirmiyah 14, mentions  how dark the Tribe of Yahuwdah is. In Songs of Solomon 1, King Shelomoh(Solomon) is described as being Black & comely. Job 30 also says the same thing. Even Simeon in Acts 13, is called Niger. Niger is an African country  populated by Black People. Shaul or Paul was described as a Mitsrayim(Egyptian) in Acts 21. There is no doubt that Israel didn't originate from Edenic people. Obviously, Yisra'el came from Shem but some had Hamitic  relationships, not just Shem only, they were dark. We can surely say that some of us are from these Israelites of non European ancestry. Being an Israelite is also through the Hebrew Messianic Faith not just culturally alone.

Like the Bible says," Aren't we sons & daughters of the Most High? Did not One Yah create us all?" So how can ones use racism, & white supremacy? Satan is trying to divide the human race. As an Yisraelite, I will keep showing my love to everyone, not hate. We must rid ourselves of these white supremist teachings  that has destroyed Shem, Ham, & Japheth. Once we can do this, then the world will be a better place. I really pray for this to happen! I couldn't discriminate  against anyone's race, color, class, or creed.  You must practice what you preach. Follow these words & preach it to your brothers & sisters. The reggae legend, Bob Marley, said," The Black man has the gift of Knowledge, the Brown man has the wealth, & the White man has the gift of technology." We did receive gifts from YHWH & are brothers indeed! So we shouldn't fight one another because of different lifestyle, religion, or creed. Everyone needs to know Edenite History, to learn who Israel really are!  Love & Unity to Shem, Cham & Yepheth.   

Posted on: May 09, 2007, 04:35:17 am
http://www.earthcultureroots.com/rastafarism.html

The aim and "why" of Rastafarian faith

We must look to the almighty Jah, thank God who has raised man above all creatures and endowed him with reason and intelligence.
We must at all times put our trust and faith in Him and he will not desert us or permit us to destroy ourselves or humanity that He created in His image. We must examine ourselves and look deeply in our souls. We must become something we have never been before. We must become bigger that we have been, greater in spirit, more courageous, and larger in our outlook.
As His majesty said, we must overcome our petty prejudices, even if the weight of history is heavy, owing our ultimate dedication or allegiance not to any nation or country, but to our fellow men within the human community and become member of a new race, the true race: the human race.

What is Rastafari

Rastafari is a movement of black people who know Africa is the birthplace of mankind, all mankind. It is a twentieth century manifestation of God that enlightened our pathway towards righteousness and is therefore worthy of reverence.
Rastafari recognizes Africa as the central origin of religious history, culture, science and technology. Africa, symbolized in the scriptures by Ethiopia (I-thiopia) is an emotional magnet for many Africans, that is calling us home to the continent which our ancestors were taken by force from more than three hundred years ago, during slavery, the black holocaust.
That call has never been felt more deeply than by members of the Rastafari faith. Rastafari wants all people, especially black people, to know that we are Africans and to develop a sense of pride and integrity in ourselves, knowing that our heritage is of the noblest of mankind and that we are in fear of no man.
All people, especially Black people, are Africans and Africa is the birthplace of mankind. We must re-culture ourselves so we can have a sense of pride, in the turning from Occidental culture, and taking into ourselves the power of our African culture, which has been hidden from us for so long. As it is written, Africa awaits the creator and Rastafari.
See I and I selves as positive warriors in the battle for redemption and reconstruction of our mother continent. See I and I selves as Jah masons, who build and don't destroy like Babylon do..
To accomplish this, we cannot confront the occident with there armonition to win, our only hope is for us to use the mental power of our African culture to unite ourselves and overwhelm the negative aspects of Occidental culture where ever it impedes our progress and enlightenment. It doesn't mean that europeans or whites or any color are bad, as we are all Jah creatures, but people shall know that Babylon is going wrong and will deceive them.
Creating divisions, ie among races, is the rule of Babylon. So racism has nothing to do with Rastafari. "United we stand, divided we fall".

History and prophecy

The birth of the movement of Rastafari can be officially fixed in Ethiopia during the coronation of the prince Ras Tafari Makonnen (Haile Selassie) on November 2, 1930. This was no ordinary event in Jamaica because a year earlier Marcus Mossiah Garvey had a prophetic vision, seeing a king be crowned in Africa.
After the coronation of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I (Power of the Trinity), several individuals searched the Bible for confirmation and found it in the Psalms: "A Prince shall come out of Egypt, and Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hand unto Jah". The prophecy was fullfilled and these people were the first Rastafarians.
Apart from carrying the legal title "King of Kings, Lord of Lords, conquering Lion of the tribe of Judah" that is written in Revelations, Haile Selassie is the 225th descendant of King Salomon, son of David, and the Queen of Sheba.

Many times people have asked what proof does Rastafarians have to point to Haile Selassie as our Savior. Look at Revelations 5 verse 5, Revelations 19 verse 16, Revelations 22 verse 16 and Psalms 87:4, Ezekiel 30, Epistle to Timothy, Revelation 19, 22, Psalms 9,18, 68, 76,and Isaiah 9.
When HIM returned from exile, in 1941, further proof was found in Revelations17:14. It is written that “ They shall make war with the lamb, and the lamb shall overcome them, for he is Lord of Lords and King of Kings and they that are with HIM are called and chosen and faithful”. So the Rastafarians of Jamaica must always be honored and praised as the vanguard of African resistance movement from which we must be entirely and eternally grateful.

The early Rastas come from the worst possible slum which no one could ever imagine were often beaten, harassed, and imprisoned. The movement went through a relatively peaceful time maybe during the 1930’s or 40’s. But in the 1950’s and towards the ’70s the movement faced continuous and increased prosecution and harassment from the middle and upper class of Jamaica society and was regarded as an outcast. They in turn regard the society as Babylon, which is evil. It is the oppressor and not their home, but a place where they were captive,and until they return to Africa there will be no peace. They were also discriminated against by fellow Jamaicans and constantly arassed by the police and attacked by the media. The movement at this time was also growing in small numbers across the Caribbean, U.S. and especially in England. The Black Power Protest in the U.S.A. in the 1960’s also strengthened the movement. Because of it’s dynamic nature of the movement the belief and the language vary from group to group and from area to area. By the mid1970’s however, the movement took a dramatic turn with the rise of reggae and his most famous representative Bob Marley

Nowadays, many people accept Rastafari, but some are afraid to really project it in their own way because of what society teaches. And some of them through struggles allow themselves to become what they are.

The Rasta worship and Symbols

Like any spirituality, Rasta has its own traditions and symbols:

Dreadlocks: they have several meanings. First, they are a part of the biblical Nazarene vow, who prohibits to shave and comb the hair. (But it is not the dreadlocks who makes someone a rastaman, and some Rastas don't wear dreadlocks).
The locks, because of their appearance, symbolizes the roots of the man, and his spirituality, the link with Jah. As Marcus Garvey said, "a man without knowing of his past is like a tree without roots". They can also be seen as a symbol of the Lion, Haile Selassie I.

The Ganja, "healing of the nations', also known as hemp, cannabis, or marijuana, is used as a holy sacrament by Rastas in many ways. The legend says that the Holy Herb was found growing on the King Solomon's grave.
Use of herb has his source in the Bible: "Thou shalt eat the herb of the field." (Genesis 3:18), "eat every herb of the land." (Exodus 10:12), "Better is a dinner of herb where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred there with." (Proverbs 15:17), "He causeth the grass for the cattle, and herb for the service of man." (Psalms 104:14)
Rastas smoke herb to meditate, symbolizing the burning bush, and for his curative properties (ie asthma). Herb can be eaten or infused. His seeds are very nutrious. Hemp is also used to make clothes, shoes and ropes.

Rasta flag: The red, yellow, green are the colors of the Rasta flag. The red symbolizes the blood of black people, the yellow the stolen gold and the green the lost lands of Africa.
The Rasta flag can also be seen during coptic celebration in the motherland Ethiopia. These colors are too on the senegalese flag, from where thousand of slaves were deported, transiting by the Goree island.

The star of David: The star of David is the symbol of the linkage between HIM Haile Selassie and David. When HIM make the Solomon seal with his hands, you can see that it looks like the star of david. Also, the Rasta consider themselves like the Israelites in exile in Babylon. The star of David is the symbol of Israel.

The Conquering Lion and the Lamb: they both symbolize HIM Haile Selassie according to the Revelations and the opening of the seven seals. They are two faces of a same reality, the Alpha and Omega.

We hope you enjoyed reading this introduction to Rastafarian faith. Email us if you have any comment or question.
With the blessings of the almighty God, true Rastafari, all will become one. Oneness through the movement. Praise to the most high, Emperor Haile Selassie, Jah Rastafari!

Posted on: May 10, 2007, 12:12:00 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith

Rastafari

Although Rastas claim not to hold belief systems, and instead claims that faith to the Rastafarians implies knowledge of the divinity of Haile Selassie, it still is a belief system not parallel with science. Their faith in Selassie as God, and as the being who is going to end their sufferings at the day of judgement when they will return to live in Africa under his rule is at the center of their lives. The dreadlocks are worn as an open declaration of faith in and loyalty towards Haile Selassie, while marijuana is seen to help cultivate a strong faith by bringing the faithful closer to God. Rastas have faith when 2 or more of them come together to discuss about their religion that Haile Selassie is with them. Selassie is seen as both God the Father, who created Heaven and earth, and as God the Son, the Reincarnation of Jesus Christ. To complete the Holy Trinity the Holy Spirit is seen as being in the believers themselves, and within all human beings. The announcement of the death of Selassie in 1975 did not disturb the faith of the Rastas, who assumed that God cannot die, and that therefore the news was false. Rastas also have a faith in physical immortality, both for Haile Selassie and for themselves.

Posted on: May 10, 2007, 12:20:06 am
The Rastafari movement or Rastafarianism is a "messianic religio-political movement" 1 that began in the Jamaican slums in the 1920s and 30s.

The most famous Rastafari is Bob Marley, whose reggae music gained the Jamaican movement international recognition.

There is significant variation within the Rastafari movement and no formal organization. Some Rastafarians see Rasta more as a way of life than a religion. But uniting the diverse movement is belief in the divinity and/or messiahship of Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I, the influence of Jamaican culture, resistance of oppression, and pride in African heritage.

The Rastafarian lifestyle usually includes ritual use of marijuana, avoidance of alcohol, the wearing of one's hair in dreadlocks, and vegetarianism.

Date founded:
Generally said to be November 2, 1930, the year Emperor Hailie Selassie I (1892-1975) was crowned, but based in a movement of the 1920s.
Place founded:
Jamaica
Founder:
Marcus Garvey (1887-1940), a black Jamaican who taught in the 1920s and is considered a second John the Baptist.
Adherents:
About 1 million worldwide

Followers of the Rastafari movement are known as Rastafarians, Rastafaris, Rastas, or Ras Tafarians. The movement is named for Ras Tafari Makonnen, who was crowned Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia in 1930.

Rastafaris dislike the term "Rastafarianism" because they reject the "isms and schisms" that characterize oppressive and corrupt white society. The movement is referred to as "the Rastafari movement," "Rasta," or "Rastafari."

Rastafari developed in the slums of Kingston, Jamaica, in the 1920s and 30s. In an environment of great poverty, depression, racism and class discrimination, the Rasta message of black pride, freedom from oppression, and the hope of return to the African homeland was gratefully received.

Marcus Garvey. 
The Rastafarian movement began with the teachings of Marcus Garvey (1887-1940), a black Jamaican who led a "Back to Africa" movement. He taught that Africans are the true Israelites and have been exiled to Jamaica and other parts of the world as divine punishment.

Garvey encouraged pride in being black and worked to reverse the mindset of inferiority that centuries of enslavement had ingrained on the minds of blacks. Garvey is regarded as a second John the Baptist and famously prophesied in 1927, "Look to Africa, for there a king shall be crowned."

On November 2, 1930, Ras Tafari Makonnen was crowned emperor of Ethiopia (he ruled until 1974). At his coronation he took the name Haile Selassie, meaning "Might of the Trinity."

Selassie also took the titles, "Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God and King of the Kings of Ethiopia." These titles are traditionally given to Ethiopian kings and reflect the Old Testament emphasis of Ethiopian Christianity. For Rastafarians, Selassie's coronation was a clear fulfillment of Revelation 5:5, Ezekiel 28:25, and Marcus Garvey's prophecy.

Followers of Garvey's teachings believed that Selassie is the messiah that had been predicted, and that his coronation indicated the divine punishment was completed and the return to Africa would begin. Rastafarians named their movement for Ras Tafari and regarded the emperor as the physical presence of God (Jah) on earth.

Marcus Garvey himself, however, did not think highly of Selassie. He regarded him as an incompetent leader and in collusion with white oppressors after his defeat by the Italians and acceptance of British assistance to regain his throne. In 1937, Garvey wrote an editorial entitled "The Failure of Haile Selassie as Emperor."

Haile Selassie was an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian and he explicity denied his divine status as proclaimed in Jamaica. In a radio interview with Canada's CBC news in 1967, he said, "I have heard of that idea [that I am divine]. I also met certain Rastafarians. I told them clearly that I am a man, that I am mortal, and that I will be replaced by the oncoming generation, and that they should never make a mistake in assuming or pretending that a human being is emanated from a deity." (You can listen to Selassie's interview here.) This denial has not deterred Rastafarians from believing the emperor to be divine.

Emperor Haile Selassie I on the cover of Time magazine, November 3, 1930.

As an emperor, Haile Selassie worked to modernize Ethiopia and to steer it into the mainstream of African politics. He brought Ethiopia into the League of Nations and the United Nations and made Addis Ababa the major center for the Organization of African Unity. Selassie was named Time magazine's Person of the Year for 1935 and was the first black person to appear on the cover in 1930. He was the only black leader recognized by the rulers of Europe. 2

The Rastafarian movement first became visible in Jamaica in the 1930s, when peaceful communities were founded in the Kingston slums. During this time the Rastafarians developed a distinctive style of language, hairstyle, art and music.

Leonard Howell emerged as an early leader of the movement. He taught six fundamental Rastafarian principles: (1) hatred for the White race; (2) the complete superiority of the Black race; (3) revenge on Whites for their wickedness; (4) the negation, persecution, and humiliation of the government and legal bodies of Jamaica; (5) preparation to go back to Africa; and (6) acknowledging Emperor Haile Selassie as the Supreme Being and only ruler of Black people. Many of these principles were subsequently abandoned as the Rastafarian movement developed.

Howell was arrested by the Jamaican government in 1933 for his loyalty to the Ethiopian emperor over King George V. This may have contributed to the decision to keep Rastafarianism leaderless and independent.

Haile Selassie met with Rasta elders in Addis Ababa in the 1950s. In 1955, he offered 500 acres of his personal land to black people wishing to return to Africa. Around 2,200 blacks, mainly Rastafarians, moved to the land (in Shashemene) during the 1960s. But poverty, a lack of acceptance by the Ethiopian population and disputes with the govenment that overthrew Selassie has caused that population to dwindle. The current population is estimated at 250. 3

A major event in Rastafarian history was Haile Selassie's visit to Jamaica on April 21, 1966. Rita Marley, Bob Marley's wife, converted to the Rastafari faith after seeing Haile Selassie; she said she saw stigmata appear on him and was instantly convinced of his divinity. Further evidence of his divinity was seen in the fact that a serious drought ended with rain upon his arrival.

He told the Rastafarians that they should not seek to immigrate to Ethiopia until they had liberated the people of Jamaica, a command that came to be known as "liberation before repatriation." As well as its profound religious significance for Rastas, the event helped to legitimize the movement. April 21 is celebrated as a Rastafarian holiday.

Selassie was deposed in 1974 in a military coup and kept under house arrest until he was apparently killed by his captors in 1975. Many Rastas believed that his death was a hoax, and that he lives on in hiding until the Day of Judgment. Others say that he lives on through individual Rastafarians.

Album cover of Catch a Fire (1973). 
One of the most important figures in the history of the Rastafari movement is the reggae artist Bob Marley (1945-81). The son of a white father and black mother, Marley lived in the Kingston slums of Jamaica. He recorded his first singles in 1962, had his first internation hit with The Wailers' album Catch A Fire in 1973. He had his first solo hit outside Jamaica with "No Woman, No Cry," in 1975.

Bob Marley became a Rastafari around 1966. He grew dreadlocks, adopted marijuana as a sacred sacrament, and is said to have begun every performance proclaiming the divinity of Jah Rastafari. His immense popularity as a musician brought both reggae and Rasta to international attention. Reggae music is intimately connected to Rastafari and its lyrics often speak of oppression, poverty, slavery, apartheid and human rights.

Marley was diagnosed with cancer in 1977 and he succumbed to the disease on May 11, 1981. Uprising (1980), Bob Marley's final studio album, is one of his most religious works, including the tracks "Redemption Song" and "Forever Loving Jah."

A few months before his death, Bob Marley was baptized into the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, a Christian faith that rejects the divinity of Haile Selassie. This has allowed both faiths to claim Marley as "their own."

Marley received a state funeral in Jamaica, which combined elements of Ethiopian Orthodoxy and Rastafari. He was buried in a crypt near his birthplace with his Gibson Les Paul guitar, a soccer ball, a cannabis bud, and a Bible.

In 1996, the Rastafari movement worldwide was given consultative status by the United Nations. Today, there are approximately 1 million Rastafarians worldwide. There are official branches in England, Canada, the Caribbean islands and America, and members in many more countries.

The sacred text of Rastafarians is the Holy Piby, the "Black Man's Bible." It was compiled by Robert Athlyi Rogers of Anguilla from 1913 to 1917 and published in 1924. 4 The Holy Piby is a version of the Christian Bible that has been altered to remove all the deliberate distortions that are believed to have been made by white leaders during its translation into English.

The Ethiopian national epic, the Kebra Negast, is also respected by Rastas, but less so than the Bible.

Rastafarians believe in the Judeo-Christian God, whom they call Jah. In general, Rastafarian beliefs are based in Judaism and Christianity, with an emphasis on Old Testament laws and prophecies and the Book of Revelation. Allegorical meaning is often sought in the Holy Piby.

Jah was manifested on earth as Jesus, who Rastas believe was black, and Emperor Haile Selassie. Selassie is referred to as His Imperial Majesty or H.I.M. (pronounced "him") and believed to still be alive - his death was a hoax and he lives in protection awaiting the Day of Judgment. Selassie is worshipped as divine. (Scriptural proof texts include Revelation 5:2-5, 17:14, 19:6, 22:16, Ezekiel 30, Psalm 9, 18, 68, 76, 87:4, Isaiah 9.) Rastafarians also honor Old Testament prophets like Moses and Elijah.

Posted on: May 12, 2007, 08:29:38 pm
Rastafarians do not believe in an afterlife, 5 but instead look to Africa (called "Zion") as a heaven on earth. True Rastas are believed to be immortal, both physically and spiritually, a concept called "everliving."

An important Rastafarian concept is "I and I," which is said instead of "you and I." It emphasizes the oneness between humanity and God as well as the equality of all humans.

Another central concept is Babylon, which refers to the white power structure of Europe and the Americas. Rastas seek to resist Babylon, which once cruelly enslaved blacks and still continue to hold them down through poverty, illiteracy, inequality, and trickery. The greed and conceit of Babylon is contrasted with the humble simplicity and naturalness of the Rastas.

Rastafarians are perhaps best known for their religious use of marijuana, which grows plentifully in Jamaica. Rastas know it as ganja, the holy herb, Iley or callie, and believe it was given by God. Scriptural support is found especially in Psalm 104:14: "He causeth the grass for the cattle and herb for the service of man." Other texts interpreted to refer to cannibis include Genesis 3:18, Exodus 10:12, and Proverbs 15:17. In addition to ritual use, Rastas also use marijuana for medicinal purposes, applying it to a variety of ailments including colds. 5

Marijuana is used primarily during the two main Rastafari rituals: reasonings and nyabingi. The reasoning is an informal gathering at which a small group of Rastas smoke ganja and engage in discussion. The ritual begins when one person lights the pipe, or "chalice," and recites a short prayer while all other participants bow their heads. The pipe is then passed around the circle until all of the people have smoked. The reasoning ends when the participants depart one by one.

The nyabinghi, or binghi for short, is a dance held on Rasta holidays and special occasions (see below). These dances can last for several days and bring together hundreds of Rastafarians from all over Jamaica. They camp in tents on land owned by the host Rastas. Formal dancing takes place at night in a tabernacle especially set up for the occasion. The Rastas sing and dance until the early hours of the morning. In the daytime, they "rest and reason."6

There are several Rasta holidays, most of which center around events in the life of Emperor Haile Selassie. The most important celebrations are:

November 2 - the coronation of Selassie
January 6 - ceremonial birthday of Selassie
April 21 - Selassie's visit to Jamaica
July 23 - Selassie's personal birthday
August 1 - emancipation from slavery
August 17 - Marcus Garvey's birthday

Dreadlocks. Photo by kk+. 
One of the most visible practices of Rastafarians is the wearing of one's hair in dreadlocks. Dreadlocks have several purposes and layers of meaning for Rastafarians, including:

the biblical command not to cut one's hair (Leviticus 21:5)
the appearance of the lion's mane, representing strength, Africa, Ethiopia, and the Lion of Judah
naturalness and simplicity, which are associated with Africa
the Rasta's roots in Africa
The other main Rasta symbol besides dreadlocks, are the colors of red, gold and green. Red stands for the triumphant church of the Rastas as well as the blood of the martyrs in the black struggle for liberation. Gold represents the wealth of their African homeland and green symbolizes Ethiopia's beauty and lush vegetation. Black is often also included, representing the color of the Africans. Another important symbol is the Lion of Judah, which represents Haile Selassie as the King of Kings, Africa, and strength.

The most observant Rastas follow a dietary law called Ital. Ital food is food which is completely natural (not canned and free of chemicals and preservatives) and eaten as raw as possible. Old Testament prohibitions against pork and shellfish are part of Ital; most Rastafarians are vegatarians or vegans. Coffee and milk are also rejected as unnatural.

Rastafarians reject the use of alcohol, since it is a fermented chemical that does not belong in the temple of the body and it makes a person stupid, thereby playing into the hands of white leaders. This is contrasted with the holy herb of marijuana, which is natural and believed by Rastas to open their mind and assist in reasoning.

There are three main sects or orders of Rastafari today. All agree on the basic principles of the divine status of Haile Selassie and the importance of black images of divinity. Many Rastafari do not belong to any sect and the movement as a whole is loosely defined and organized.

The Nyahbinghi Order (a.k.a. Theocratic Priesthood and Livity Order of Nyabinghi) is named for Queen Nyahbinghi of Uganda, who fought against colonialists in the 19th century. This is the oldest of the orders and it focuses mainly on Haile Selassie, Ethiopia, and the eventual return to Africa. It is overseen by an Assembly of Elders.

Bobo Shanti was founded by Prince Emanuel Charles Edwards in Jamaica in the 1950s. "Bobo" means black and "Shanti" refers to the Ashanti tribe in Ghana, from which this sect believes Jamaican slaves are descended. Members of Bobo Shanti are also known as Bobo Dreads.

In belief, Bobo Dreads are distinguished by their worship of Prince Emmanuel (in addition to Haile Selassie) as a reincarnation of Christ and embodiment of Jah; their emphasis on the return to Africa ("repatriation"); and their demands for monetary reimbursement for slavery.

Members of the Bobo Shanti order wear long robes and tightly wrapped turbans around their dreads. They adhere closely to the Jewish Law, including the observance of the Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday and hygeine laws for menstruating women. They live separately from Jamaican society and other Rastafarians, growing their own produce and selling straw hats and brooms. They often carry brooms with them to symbolize their cleanliness.

The Twelve Tribes of Israel sect was founded in 1968 by Dr. Vernon "Prophet Gad" Carrington. It is the most liberal of the Rastafarian orders and members are free to worship in a church of their choosing. Each member of this sect belongs to one of the 12 Tribes (or Houses), which is determined by birth month and is represented by a color. 7

"Rastafarians." Oxford Concise Dictionary of World Religions
"Haile Selassie." Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service (accessed August 2006).
"About H.I.M. Haile Selassie." Jamaicans.com
"The Holy Piby: The holy text of the Rastafari" - BobMarley.com
"Rasta's Symbolism" - The Afrocentric Experience
B. Chevannes, Rastafari and Other African-Caribbean Worldviews (Rutgers University Press, 1998), 17-18.
"The Rastafarian Orders/Sects." Jamaicans.com

Rastafari - The Afrocentric Experience
Marcus Garvey Official Site
Bob Marley Official Site
Jamaicans.com: Rastafari - numerous articles on Rastfari
"Marcus Garvey: Look for Me in the Whirlwind" - PBS American Experience
"Rastafarianism" - Religious Movements Homepage (University of Virginia student project, 2000)
Rick Branch, "Rastafarianism" - The Watchman Expositor
"Bob Marley" - Words of Wisdom - collection of biblical quotes in Bob Marley lyrics

Leonard E. Barrett, Sr., The Rastafarians: Sounds of Cultural Dissonance (Boston: Beacon Press, 1988).
Leonard E. Barrett, Sr., The Rastafarians: The Dreadlocks of Jamaica (Kingston: Sangster's Book Stores, 1977).
E. Cashmore, The Rastafarians (London: Minority Rights Group, 1984).
E. Cashmore, Rastaman: The Rastafarian Movement in England (London: G. Allen and Unwin, 1979).
B. Chevannes, Rastafari and Other African-Caribbean Worldviews (New Jersey: Rutgers University Press, 1998).
B. Chevannes, Rastafari: Roots and Ideology (Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1994).
P. Clark, Black Paradise: The Rastafarian Movement (San Bernadino: Borgo Press, 1994).
G. Hausman, The Kebra Negast: The Book of Rastafarian Wisdom and Faith From Ethiopia and Jamaica (New York: St. Martin's Press, 1997).
Kelleyana Junique, Rastafari? Rasta for You: Rastafarianism Explained (Athena Press Pub, 2004).
W. Lewis, Soul Rebels: The Rastafari (Illinois: Waveland Press, 1997).
J. Melton, Encyclopedia of American Religions, 5th Edition (Detroit: Gale Research. 1996).
I. Morrish, Obeah, Christ, and Rastaman: Jamaica and its Religion (Cambridge: James Clarke & Co., 1982).
Nathaniel Samuel Murrell, ed., Chanting Down Babylon: The Rastafari Reader (Temple University Press, 1998).
J. Owens, Dread: The Rastafarians of Jamaica (London: Heinemann Press, 1979).
R. Ringenberg, Rastafarianism, an Expanding Jamaican Cult (Jamaica: Jamaica Theological Seminary, 1978).
W. Spencer, Dread Jesus (London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1999).

Posted on: May 12, 2007, 08:30:07 pm
all from this website...Ones can read all they can read but self knowledge is up to each one

http://www.religionfacts.com/a-z-religion-index/rastafarianism.htm

sistahvee

• Veteran User
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2007, 07:44:25 PM »

Bless Up Ras Chucky

JahJah Bless and Keep the I, May He cause His face to Shine on the I and Keep the I always. 

Nuff Love

Sistah Vee

RAS_CHUCKY11

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2007, 07:51:23 PM »

Blessup sistren

Notice how many keep on using this fake interview to attack us and when Garvey made the comment that he was disappointed and call the KING a coward but didnt take into consideration that the KING was on the battlefield when he didnt have to be

"I have heard of that idea [that I am divine]. I also met certain Rastafarians. I told them clearly that I am a man, that I am mortal, and that I will be replaced by the oncoming generation, and that they should never make a mistake in assuming or pretending that a human being is emanated from a deity." (You can listen to Selassie's interview here.) This denial has not deterred Rastafarians from believing the emperor to be divine.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.