Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ska/Punk  (Read 4749 times)

RasRaulik

• Senior User
  • Truth is the light, so you can't give up the fight
Re: Ska/Punk
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2004, 03:16:46 AM »

good for you Idren!
Truth is the light, so you can't give up the fight!!!

Mary_Jane

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2005, 07:44:59 PM »

I ADORE ska! the best music ever!

Positive_Vibration

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 02:45:06 AM »

I agree with Ras Alto - that the *early* Jamaican ska is where its at, though I'm not an active listener.

This is just my personal opinion, but I see this nowaday ska/punk as slackness. American white boys, (I and I am 'white' so be not offended,) taking the reggae formula...speeding it up...and removing the groove and conscious message, when the groove and conscious message is why I and I love roots reggae music to begin with!

One love

satafijah

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 05:22:06 AM »

some ska bands are awesome some suck
some punds are alright some are stupid

saturnia

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 03:07:38 PM »

yess i like punk, ska
selecter Pauline Black, the beat,
ska and punk and funk and soul and rrrrrrrock
punk that is anti racist there have been some good bands out there
i like a lot of middle eastern music also
and african drum
i myself was in a punk band all female, drummer black, guitarist me..mixed, bass greek, vocals indian
i loved it but we split up
rember rage against the machine anyone
or skunk anansie
i just love good music
[media=URL,200,200][/media] [smiley=tongue.gif]

77Clash

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 03:52:01 AM »

Pretty much the only straight up ska/punk band (by today's standards that is) I actually like is Operation Ivy.  I don't care much for the 3rd wave ska revival, but the 2nd wave ska revival (which I consider ska/punk) with bands like the Specials, the Selecter, the Beat, etc... some of the best music out there.  Unlike most of today's ska/punk bands they had a social/political twist to their lyrics, and they made much better music.  The problem with today's American ska bands is they just don't seem to look back on the original wave of Jamaican ska artists as much as they should...

nattydreadman

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 05:34:17 PM »

I-Ney, Irie

I love reel big fish. they're so awesome. i really like reggae an ska

One Love

african_herbsman

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 05:41:41 PM »

Greetins

Ska irite i na like but i lisin

sponger_mann

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 09:17:41 PM »

I like all walks of music because it is a natural thing. I like punk bands like the clash, bad brains, NOFX, propagandhi, pennywise, bad religion. that is punk. Bands like Blink 182, good charlette, and my chemical romance may be confused with punk but it is really called pop. Like Brittney Spears, backstreet boys, they just in it for the money. REAL punk is about freedom, respect, and equality.

Jah Bless
                            Selassie guide

sponger_mann

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005, 09:20:26 PM »

I like all walks of music because it is a natural thing. I like punk bands like the clash, bad brains, NOFX, propagandhi, pennywise, bad religion. that is punk. Bands like Blink 182, good charlette, and my chemical romance may be confused with punk but it is really called pop. Like Brittney Spears, backstreet boys, they just in it for the money. REAL punk is about freedom, respect, and equality.

Jah Bless
                            Selassie guide

ganja_head

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005, 04:13:49 AM »

i like old 70s type punk like the ramones etc,but i also like duane peters and the hunns

aspiring_rasta

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 04:18:33 PM »

in my opinion ska is an attempt at reggae mixed with punk music. im not too fond of it. though i know a lot of people who are.

til_shiloh_comes

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 03:33:25 PM »

i personally reallylike and enjoy punk music and some ska

i may be making a very daring comment by saying punk and reggae pass messages which are in some ways similar as in the equality and the downfall of western society

not that i could imagine crass praising jah lol

dont take that the wrong way

stu

burn_down_babylon

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 06:49:29 PM »

I too am learning to dig the early Ska sound.  I hadn't heard much of it before starting the course I'm doing, but now i have I'm toatlly re-building my CD collection.

Have you guys ever heard of The Redskins?  They were a Marxist Ska/Punk band from way back when (like the 80s) whop were trying to do a lefty alternative to Oi! music for young dissafected youth back when thatcher was still in charge over here.  They did some good tunes and had a great Brass section going on a lot of their tracks.

Inf3ct

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2005, 05:22:53 AM »

Not really into ska, but some of my favorite punk bands are: Bad Brains, Dead Kennedy's, Bad Religion, and the Misfits.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.