Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Did Marcus Garvey found the Rasta movement?  (Read 4049 times)

The Fruitarian One

• Regular User
    • Fruitarian Fitness
Did Marcus Garvey found the Rasta movement?
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:08:47 PM »

Hi guys!!!

Did Marcus Garvey found the Rasta movement?...if so he doesn't seem to get much credit for it, is there a reason for this?

peace an love

F1

FRUITARIAN FITNESS
Home of the F. I. T. S
www. fruitarianfitness. com

rootsridge

• Senior User
Re: Did Marcus Garvey found the Rasta movement?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »

bless

be more specific, how can you found the rasta movements

blessed brother
ONLINE REGGAE DJ
http://www.ukreggaeguide.co.uk/radio/

i am doing a show every saturday from 8pm (GMT)
so please tune in and I will play I some reggae music!!

The Fruitarian One

• Regular User
    • Fruitarian Fitness
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »

bless

be more specific, how can you found the rasta movements

blessed brother

Forgive me, I'm a newbie so maybe my choice of words is mis-leading, maybe if I just gave you the link to what I was reading, maybe then you will see what I was wanting clarification over.

http://altreligion.about.com/library/faqs/bl_rastafarianism.htm

peace an love

F1
FRUITARIAN FITNESS
Home of the F. I. T. S

rootsridge

• Senior User
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »

ok hopefully i can share some light

well remember haile selassie I IS rastafari

(his coronation name was haile selassie)

Marcus brought awareness to a crowning of a king in Africa, so some think he is a prophet.
but then Marcus said HIM was a coward and not the king he meant in his message. Marcus also said to black people to stand up to white oppression and stand up in your glory to being AFRICANs

help you?

blessed
ONLINE REGGAE DJ

The Fruitarian One

• Regular User
    • Fruitarian Fitness
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »

ok hopefully i can share some light

well remember haile selassie I IS rastafari

(his coronation name was haile selassie)

Marcus brought awareness to a crowning of a king in Africa, so some think he is a prophet.
but then Marcus said HIM was a coward and not the king he meant in his message. Marcus also said to black people to stand up to white oppression and stand up in your glory to being AFRICANs

help you?

blessed

Not really...ha,ha...but thank you for taking the time to help with my question....I didn't know that Marcus Garvey had "retracted" his initial statement/prophecy though.

peace an love

F1
Posted on: December 27, 2007, 08:28:47 pm
If I understand the artical right, it doesn't sound like Marcus approved of the rasta movement, I'm confused now!

peace and love

F1
FRUITARIAN FITNESS
Home of the F. I. T. S

Human

• Veteran User
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »

Marcus wrote a play during his time and in his play was a verse speaking of a black african king to be crowned and become an emperor. He did not say as a prophet type of way "look towards africa for the crowning of a black king". This was simply a verse in one of his plays. Marcus felt very lowly of Selassie and wrote some not so nice things to say about him. It just so happened that after those lines were written Selassie, a black african man was crowned emperor in ethiopia and this was taken by some to be prophetic and marcus was hailed as a prophet. The rasta movement was founded by jamaicans looking to the bible and africa and seeing the titles of Selassie and believing this to be prophecy fullfilled. The ethiopians knew him as there emperor and some thought he was divine by lineage.

The Fruitarian One

• Regular User
    • Fruitarian Fitness
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:32:58 PM »

Marcus wrote a play during his time and in his play was a verse speaking of a black african king to be crowned and become an emperor. He did not say as a prophet type of way "look towards africa for the crowning of a black king". This was simply a verse in one of his plays. Marcus felt very lowly of Selassie and wrote some not so nice things to say about him. It just so happened that after those lines were written Selassie, a black african man was crowned emperor in ethiopia and this was taken by some to be prophetic and marcus was hailed as a prophet. The rasta movement was founded by jamaicans looking to the bible and africa and seeing the titles of Selassie and believing this to be prophecy fullfilled. The ethiopians knew him as there emperor and some thought he was divine by lineage.

Bang...there you go, that's what I was looking for, with all that I've read so far this is the same conlcusion that I have drawn and it's been confusing the heck out of me....did Marcus feel lowly of H.I.M from the beginning or was there a particular reason?

Do you have any more info on that play I can check out?

I can imahgine that there's also been much debate over this too..eh?

peace an love

F1
Posted on: December 27, 2007, 09:15:14 pm
Bang...there you go, that's what I was looking for, with all that I've read so far this is the same conlcusion that I have drawn and it's been confusing the heck out of me....did Marcus feel lowly of H.I.M from the beginning or was there a particular reason?

Do you have any more info on that play I can check out?

I can imahgine that there's also been much debate over this too..eh?

peace an love

F1

I just read somewhere that a guy called Leonard Howell founded or helped found the Rasta movement, if that's the right term to use.

peace an love

F1
FRUITARIAN FITNESS
Home of the F. I. T. S

rootsridge

• Senior User
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:54:30 AM »

marcus went against the king when he got beaten by Italy in the Abyssinian crisis.

he thoguth that a true king of god would not loose to invaders of the holy land.

blessed
ONLINE REGGAE DJ

Human

• Veteran User
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 01:40:45 PM »

I forget the name of the play, you can find it on the web im sure. Yes Rootsridge your right, but, the main thing that made him mad at Selassie was that he left his people for 5 years and fled to england, he felt that was terrible. Yes Fruitarian One leonard Howell was one of the people who started to proclaim Selassie as God and preach to many in the parishes of JA. He was actually a member of a black coptic masonic lodge in Costa Rica before he returned to JA.

The Fruitarian One

• Regular User
    • Fruitarian Fitness
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »

Interesting...thanks guys...there's so much history to learn!

peace an love

F1
FRUITARIAN FITNESS
Home of the F. I. T. S

InI_Scott

• Full User
  • Chapter a Day!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 10:06:45 PM »

Bless Up!

Marcus Garvey is historically misunderstood.  His message was strong and forceful -- it is filled with passion and sometimes intended discomfort.  Do not rely on the opinions of others -- Read his words in context to his time and place in the trod.

Ini strongly suggest that you look to his words for guidance and overstanding of his many messages.

A good place to start is the book called "Life and Lessons".  This contains Marcus' essays and other teachings that have been taken directly from his words.  The "lessons" are fantastic and Ini often review them and take notes on what knowledge he passed onto all of us.

Please take the time to review his work.  It will make a difference in one's life as well as give you the authority to answer the question you seek.

Your question deserves his words. seen?

Many blessings,
Guidance
Scott

Empress AliJah

• Peace Love and Inity
  • Full User
  • PEACE LOVE AND INITY
    • Empress Iternal
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 07:57:41 PM »

Greetings In The Name Of The Most High Jah RasTafari
Prince Emmanuel Charles Edward, The co-ordinator of the first Niahbinghi RasTafari Convention, is the Foundation Elder of the house of Rastafari now known popularly as the BOBOSHANTI, He was re-incarnated in 1915 in the  Parish of Saint Elizabeth, Jamaica, and is reguarded as a staunch and ardent Defender of Black Rights, Redemption and Repatrination,He alongside Prophet Marcus Garvey and H.I.M Haile Selassie I make up the Hola Trinity,RasTafari Livity is the modern manifestation of The Ancient Order Guardians of Creation,Prophet Garvey's teachings "Look to Afrika where a Black King Shall be crowned for the day of our deliverance is near"was merely the echos of the Maroons who were the resisters of slavery and who brought the British Slave masters to their knees in 1738, They were preaching this prophecy long before thre birth of Marcus Garvey, so any one ilieving this prophecy came from the words of a play  written by Garvey are mistaken, the prophecy  is an incient one,Garvey merely echoed the Earlier Prophecy of the Monastic Hillsman who maintained the strongest Link with the Ancient Order and Ithiopian Livity.The first and most prominant of early preachers who taught that Ras Tafari Haille Selassie I as the God head was papa Gong-g'un Guru Maragh aka as Bro Gong,who ended up imprisioned in the early 19 30's because of his Ilief and teachings.
InI pray that this may aid the I on his journey
Holy Emmanuel I king Selassie I Jah RasTafari
Peace and Love
Empress AliJah
Plant the seeds of love overstanding and righteousnes water them and watch them grow standing strong against any force of nature.Give thanks and praises to the Most High for the beautiful blessing of life.

The Fruitarian One

• Regular User
    • Fruitarian Fitness
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 09:08:15 PM »

Prince Emmanuel Charles Edward, The co-ordinator of the first Niahbinghi RasTafari Convention, is the Foundation Elder of the house of Rastafari now known popularly as the BOBOSHANTI, He was re-incarnated in 1915 in the  Parish of Saint Elizabeth, Jamaica, and is reguarded as a staunch and ardent Defender of Black Rights, Redemption and Repatrination,He alongside Prophet Marcus Garvey and H.I.M Haile Selassie I make up the Hola Trinity,RasTafari Livity is the modern manifestation of The Ancient Order Guardians of Creation,Prophet Garvey's teachings "Look to Afrika where a Black King Shall be crowned for the day of our deliverance is near"was merely the echos of the Maroons who were the resisters of slavery and who brought the British Slave masters to their knees in 1738, They were preaching this prophecy long before thre birth of Marcus Garvey, so any one ilieving this prophecy came from the words of a play  written by Garvey are mistaken, the prophecy  is an incient one,Garvey merely echoed the Earlier Prophecy of the Monastic Hillsman who maintained the strongest Link with the Ancient Order and Ithiopian Livity.The first and most prominant of early preachers who taught that Ras Tafari Haille Selassie I as the God head was papa Gong-g'un Guru Maragh aka as Bro Gong,who ended up imprisioned in the early 19 30's because of his Ilief and teachings.
Peace and Love
Empress AliJah

Wow...

Interesting

Thanks for that!

Peace an love
FRUITARIAN FITNESS
Home of the F. I. T. S

Rasdave21

• Full User
  • 2012 ascension is near---awaken
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 01:23:54 AM »

Peace and Love
Empress AliJah

Empress,

You must remember that the trinity you speak of is the bobo trinity and not all rasta believe in this trinity sistah. I man not a bobo but I share some of the bobo belief system. InI believe in what could be called the "Ethiopian Orthadox" trinity or the Twelve Tribes trinity. Selassie---Yeshua-----Jah and Iman accept different versions of the trinity as long as the I recognizes the lineage of Selassie and Yeshua. Blayze Up
www.myspace.com/elementree1

CHECK OUT MY MUSIC!!

NegusNegustiality

• Veteran User
  • Negus*Negustial ity is the reality of H.I.M.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »

Ises,
Ras Dave the Bobo Triunity is very biblical, old testament to be exact.   It is more biblical than the current day battyman father son duppy one preached in the churches.  Prophet is the one who has the vision for the people, the priest sets the livity while the King is the Godhead.  Many forget that Garvey's utterances of self reliance and Afreeca for Afreecans at home and abroad were and still are against "proper" thinking.  There were many others within the same vein but none had as big of a stage as John Marcus.  He was the necessary forerunner for ones to be able to even accept I Majesty.
  As for doubting HIM and His decisions, the irony is that Garvey passed in 1940 and Haile I returned to the Throne in 1941.  Things go in cycles and even the character of John the Baptist even doubted that "Jesus" was the One.  Garvey also missed out on another 33 years of the King's reign during which I think he would have recanted his earlier criticism and assisted the King of Kings anyway he could.  Overall Garvey was and should be one of the driving forces of the Rastafari trod.

Holy I

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.