Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Definition of Babylon  (Read 10507 times)

purplepanther

• Newbie User
Definition of Babylon
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:05:28 PM »

Greetings all, blessed love,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. . .  I have just translated a book called 'The Rasta Faith' from French to English and am now at the stage of inserting footnotes to explain certain words which might pose problems to the reader.  The brief was that the reader will have been exposed to lots of the dialect before but may not necessarily know why these words are used.  For example, if someone said, "Babylon came knocking on the door asking questions", they would know the person was talking about the police, but wouldn't know why the word Babylon was being used to replace it.  What i need is a very concise definition of 'Babylon' to put in the footnotes, no longer than 2 average sentences really.  I know this is not an easy task as i have tried myself but get too bogged down and end up writing too much.  On the other hand, the patois dictionary online doesn't really provide a sufficient explanation either.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Until  :)

Oskar

• Veteran User
  • Rasta man live up
Re: Definition of Babylon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »

Well, my input on the subject would be that the 'essence' of the meaning of the word Babylon would be any kind of oppressive force. The antonym would be freedom, liberty and equal rights.

purplepanther

• Newbie User
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »

Quote from: Oskar link=topic=4858. msg67095#msg67095 date=1199722962
Well, my input on the subject would be that the 'essence' of the meaning of the word Babylon would be any kind of oppressive force.  The antonym would be freedom, liberty and equal rights.

Thanks for the response, Oskar.  So maybe i could put, ""The word Babylon here refers to any kind of oppressive force".  Perhaps i could add one more sentence about where it derives from, just to show that it is not a word that has been plucked from the sky.  Any ideas?

Oskar

• Veteran User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »

You could try searching the bible. It is mentioned there plenty times. In short I would say that Babylon was/is wickedness that Almighty God destroyed/will destroy. Just my humble opinion.

NyaInIJahLove

• Veteran User
  • InI Live 4Iva in JahLove
    • www.earthreggae.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:09:47 AM »

Yes  Revelations, 18 2 is good to meditate and contemplate on
In I sight one could see Babylon as a regime that prostitutes the sacred as "Babylon the Whore" is affiliated with "Mammon" -capitalism, worshipping the false god of materialism
Ones who work for this system put their paypacket and belief in security thru money above the Truth of Jah Word and Works thus worshipping false Idols and perpetuating downpression and misery for the ones enslaved, which in reality is even them, themselves as Babylon is a slaverdriver and denies basic human rights and righteous living
Babylon is also referred to as a feminine energy, similar to the Jezebel character in that She does not pay homage to Her Ivine Masculine Consort or consult him as in the original mistake by a feminine aspect of Prime Creator...
Remember the Original Babylon was once a great and beautiful city but lost  favour with the Israelites when King Nebuchadnezzar captured some of them and held them for a time...similar to how the Originally African Jamaicans may have felt when they were captured and taken to be slaves for the British (so-called) Christian Empire.
The Hebrew people were most likely referring to the Roman Empire in reference to Babylon in the New Testement, (namely Revelations) as things needed to be spoken of in a kind of code due to the extreme nature of the downpression at that time....
I hope this helps
OneLove
Sistren Nyah   
Come celebrate JahTime is Come
singers&players of instruments
JahLovers &Freedom Lovers
www.earthreggae.com

Oskar

• Veteran User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:52:45 AM »

Yes  Revelations, 18 2 is good to meditate and contemplate on
In I sight one could see Babylon as a regime that prostitutes the sacred as "Babylon the Whore" is affiliated with "Mammon" -capitalism, worshipping the false god of materialism
Ones who work for this system put their paypacket and belief in security thru money above the Truth of Jah Word and Works thus worshipping false Idols and perpetuating downpression and misery for the ones enslaved, which in reality is even them, themselves as Babylon is a slaverdriver and denies basic human rights and righteous living
Babylon is also referred to as a feminine energy, similar to the Jezebel character in that She does not pay homage to Her Ivine Masculine Consort or consult him as in the original mistake by a feminine aspect of Prime Creator...
Remember the Original Babylon was once a great and beautiful city but lost  favour with the Israelites when King Nebuchadnezzar captured some of them and held them for a time...similar to how the Originally African Jamaicans may have felt when they were captured and taken to be slaves for the British (so-called) Christian Empire.
The Hebrew people were most likely referring to the Roman Empire in reference to Babylon in the New Testement, (namely Revelations) as things needed to be spoken of in a kind of code due to the extreme nature of the downpression at that time....
I hope this helps
OneLove
Sistren Nyah   

Seen Nyah

That is a good post

Ises

Peace_Loving

• Regular User
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »

Babylon is evil and all that it oppresses.

rootsridge

• Senior User
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 06:38:32 PM »

he is a question that i was asking.

does police necessarily mean babylon.

now think of it, if there was'nt police, there would be so so much crime violence,

don't get me wrong i dnt agree with how the police use their justice system.  but i think the idea is a needed one. and there is a video on youtube about rasta police in n.england i belive

bless
ONLINE REGGAE DJ
http://www.ukreggaeguide.co.uk/radio/

i am doing a show every saturday from 8pm (GMT)
so please tune in and I will play I some reggae music!!

Nepsis

• Full User
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:54:54 PM »

Jealous imitation unto violent aggression.

RAS GROWSTRONG

• Normal User
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:53:33 PM »

the city Babylon was erected by the Cushite people under the leadership of Nimrod ... Nimrod is of Ham seed

Human

• Veteran User
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »

There is no definition outside of Rasta usage for it, it was simply a way of describing people, systems, ways in relation to the bible story in which the hebrews were held in captivity and dealing similarly how rastas deal and see the modern world. My understanding of the definition concerning Rasta usage.

RAS GROWSTRONG

• Normal User
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »

Babylon is also the first place Israel/Judah is enslaved by the Ashkenazi (gentile) reference Jeremiah 51:27 read the whole chapter

I ELIJAH I

• Veteran User
  • Its a Foolish Dog That Bark at a Flying Bird
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »

the first place Israel/Judah is enslaved by the Ashkenazi

This is not a "Ras" overstanding. And neither is that which does not speak against it.

There is no definition outside of Rasta usage for it, it was simply a way of describing people, systems, ways in relation to the bible story in which the hebrews were held in captivity and dealing similarly how rastas deal and see the modern world. My understanding of the definition concerning Rasta usage.

What makes this standing "under" is that Babylon is not "simply a way of describing" but is the same system "dealing" with the same people the Ible speaks of.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:51:02 PM by I ELIJAH I »
Fear the terrible g-d of Israel.

Higginz

• Regular User
  • To Jah alone I swear.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 10:10:23 PM »

I overstanding is that Babylon is all which cuts down I and Is freedom or right. Example: Police nah let me smoke Ghanja on the day of Sabbath is to oppress I man. That to me is behavior I define as babylonian.

I say it's a force that uses its superior power over the Individual rasta to oppress his rights.
Science is knowledge of the exterior. 

Religion is answer to the interior.

"RastafarI is no legend, reality.  Better be wise.  Accept the most high in your life, and refuse mental slavery, no compromise. "  - AlBorosie

RAS GROWSTRONG

• Normal User
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 09:00:08 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UgCs3d9xMc

check 1:06 then search out who Japhete is

2The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

3And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.

4And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.

5By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

Japhete son Gomer had son Ashkenaz which attacked Israel at Babylon stole culture Steel Pulse real rasta singing about Japhete??? Correction Ras see and know ...  also read Revelation 20:8

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.