News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Aging  (Read 2395 times)

rasta-in-babylon

• Full User
  • Rasta man live up
Aging
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:31:48 AM »

InI have been assigned in my class to interview an elder about his or her thoughts on age and aging. InI was wondering if one of the elders here would be so kind as to oblige with their thoughts on the matter? How does the I feel about the I's age? How has the I changed with age? And does the I see it as a positive or a negative thing?

Peace and Blessings

NegusNegustiality

• Veteran User
  • Negus*Negustial ity is the reality of H.I.M.
Re: Aging
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:43:51 AM »

Ises,
Once a man, twice a child.

"Life is a cycle, everything go roun inna circle."
Richie Spice

Rastafari

I ELIJAH I

• Veteran User
  • Its a Foolish Dog That Bark at a Flying Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 06:10:39 PM »

There's actually no biological reason for aging, It just problems with food and environment. Either way Aging can be slowed down with meditation. Man child vibes seen.
Fear the terrible g-d of Israel.

msgal

• Veteran User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:09:53 AM »

Seen,
How we live our lives has a lot to do with how we age.
I think I'm one of the older members at 49 (as of the 24th of this month)
and I have yet to meet anyone who thinks I'm even close to that.
Most of my life I've eaten healthy, gotten regular exercise and tried to do my best
to keep my mind and spirit on a positive, learning track.
Even my 4 grown children have a hard time keeping up with me.
We only get this one body and mind while we're here so why not take care of it.
I do have to admit, I just can't get my head around the idea of growing up.
I'm very responsible, but I don't ever want to grow up.

Bless
Jah bless. I and I love you all.

Molliebaz

• Full User
  • One Love
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »

I agree with you MSGAL.

I am 52 this year, so can see where you are coming from.   I think that reaching 50 is quite a scary landmark - it all looks downhill from here.   One of my friends says that life is like a toilet roll - the closer you get to the end, the quicker it goes !!!  However, you are so correct, keeping a young and active mind is so important - as well as diet and exercise.

I too have trouble believing my own age, and I consider that I am much younger for my years than my own mother was.

One thing I would mention is that a lot of the fears of old age can be exasperated by the feelings and actions of modern society.  In the UK the elderly are treated in a very different way to the elder people of other nations, i.e Africa.  The prospect of reaching old age in UK where one can be put into a home, see nobody, have no visits, get pushed around in the street, feel cold, lonely and abused is something that makes me ashamed.  It seems in the western world that old age is at best an inconvenience or worst our elders are dismissed as an unimportant nuisance with nothing to say or contribute to society.  How many old people die in their homes and are only discovered when the neighbours raise an alarm because there is a smell emitting from the house ?

In Africa there are very few Old People's Homes.  There, the elderly are treated with dignity and respect.   Their views are valued, they are important members of society and they are valued and cared for.

As for dealing with the ageing of one's parents,  that saying twice a child once a man is so so true.   It is a saddening truth that one day we end up helping to dress the one that taught us how to dress ourself.   My mother lived with me up until she died, and it was a shock to watch a strong woman deteriorate, to see her becoming confused, slow, shaky.  She tried so hard to hang on to her human dignity but in the end I had to help her as I would have a new born baby.  That is a very difficult experience, and it taught me most of all to give thanks to The Most High for every day we have, and to take all opportunity to live and love.  What is more, if love and joy are in your hearts, pass it on while you can.

My advice to all those getting older :   Love Jah,  Love Life,  Love Yourself and keep laughing.
As I tell my nieces,  I intend to stand for as long as I can while I am getting dressed - the day I start sitting down to put my clothes on is the day I might have to start growing old. !!!

One love Family

Jah Guide and Protect.

MOLLIEBAZ

Soldier of Jah

• Ras Sanjah
  • Senior User
  • Humbleness, righteousness, consciousness.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:03:44 PM »

Very true what you all say, wise words from wise people. Keep strong for evah, even when growing old. With age come wisdom. Bless!
Jah Jah light is so bright it can be seen even by the blind

MaoriLion

• Senior User
  • Love and praise for Jah RasTafarI
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »

Age is a state of mind.
Peace, Love, Inity

NyaInIJahLove

• Veteran User
  • InI Live 4Iva in JahLove
    • www.earthreggae.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 01:59:24 PM »

I turned 35 the other day
I don't think that qualifies me to talk about being aged
but considering I am now faced with some nearly grown children I am just starting to deal with some maturity
my Kingman is 52
an elder in the Mayan culture
52 is the age you start living in elder status according to Jose Arguelles
mayan prophet
he is white haired already due to some native americans genes we think
the thing I know about aging is Ital livity slows it down, love and creativity and keeping the mind active and focused on living true slows it down
many peoples jaws drop when I tell them I have 7 youth
I am a young mum
and am still a youth in my head
having kids young both matured me and kept me young
I embarrass my daughter tho, coz i am too exuberant for her and love to sing and dance
I hope to do alot of yoga this year and grow a better than ever vegetable garden and eat mainly fruit and organic food to reverse the toll already taken by years of childbirth and breastfeeding and eating-disorder related illness
I believe we can reverse aging with good living and a calm meditative mind and enthusiasm for life that never abates
preventative medicine, regular detoxing thru exercising and fasting, herbs and clean balanced-mineral water
all slow the aging process
as for elders.....
I wish I had more in my life....
I met a beautiful elder neighbor the other day
she called herself Free, cruises around ina motorized wheelchair with the aboriginal landrights flag on a flagpole
and bought my 2yr old boy Tosh a stuffed animal lib polar bear, such a sweety!!!!!!!
I am going to have tea with her now the rain has stopped and my dads gone home
I love the sort of elders that have so much spirit and heart that you just want to take them home
and try soak up some time honoured wisdom and listen to their stories of things long ago and whats important in life....
Bless and love
sistah nyah i
Come celebrate JahTime is Come
singers&players of instruments
JahLovers &Freedom Lovers
www.earthreggae.com

IyaRaWarrior

• Regular User
  • The Heart Know Where The Truth Lie
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 01:42:31 AM »

Raw plant food is the fountain of youth....people die way to young in this world... diet play a major role... cooked foods will use up all of your life force enzymes... causing aging... aging is really like your enzymes running out...

rootsridge

• Senior User
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »

yes age is mental state of mind,, just keep ya mind free+postive
ONLINE REGGAE DJ
http://www.ukreggaeguide.co.uk/radio/

i am doing a show every saturday from 8pm (GMT)
so please tune in and I will play I some reggae music!!

Soldier of Jah

• Ras Sanjah
  • Senior User
  • Humbleness, righteousness, consciousness.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »

If you feel young, who can tell you that you are old? There are old bodies with young spirits, and there are young bodies with old spirits. What is a human really... A human is not the body. A human is the spirit, the mind, the soul and everything else, that is in the body. Without all that we are just corpses right? A dead body has no spirit, no mind, no soul left in it. Then is the dead body a human, or simply a corpse? The body gets older, but it doesnt mean we do. Bless.
Jah Jah light is so bright it can be seen even by the blind

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »

I was feeling very old, sorry for myself, this time last year.

Have health issues- all self-caused- getting better-

I was 42 then. My great aunt passed away in her nineties. Her sister, my grandmother, is 96 now? Still lives on her own.

I realized "HEY- I am less than halfway through this journey. I cannot spend the next fifty years DYING!"

It IS what you set your mind to, and it IS what you eat.

Now I look forward to cronehood. (I still pull out my chin hairs though!)

I am blessed with a few older people around. My mother plans to move my grandmother up here to live with her too- (not my 96 yo gmother- this one is 83- long-lived ladies in my clans). My children are looking forward to that.

My oldest is 14. I may be a grandmother in the next ten years.

That is amazing to me.

I remember when he was born like it was just months ago.

What an interesting thread.

Looking forward to reading more posts.

Again, Rasta Nick's forum has added sunshine to a dark Alaska morning.

God bless.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.