Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Its War out here - Aboriginal activists Robbie Thorpe speaks out re invasion  (Read 1269 times)

NyaInIJahLove

• Veteran User
  • InI Live 4Iva in JahLove
    • www.earthreggae.com

about what is going on here with our foolish government;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: blackgreensolidarity@perthimc.asn.au
Subject: [BlackGreen)] Robbie Thorpe Black GST/Camp Sovereignty NDAMelbourne Press Release

(For Immediate Release)

'The Howard Settler Governments invasion of the Northern territory is
land-grabbing racism nothing more. This invasion is part of the neo liberal
structural adjustment programme of Intuitions such as the World, Bank, the IMF &
APEC to diminish and extinguish Indigenous rights forever.

It is no surprise to see that the four countries that are blocking the passage
of the Draft Declaration of indigenous rights through the United Nations,
Australia, New Zealand, United States & Canada, they are the same four states
that as part of APEC are raping the marine ocean environment in the Pacific, and
are further oppressing & eroding the hard won rights of their Indigenous Nations
& Peoples through out the world and within their own countries.

What is happening to our brothers and sisters in the NT, is part of that
process, part of that genocide.

On the 14th July Indigenous peoples worldwide stand united in their opposition
to these agendas, invasions and to the unending dispossession & disrespect
shown to our peoples.

To my Brothers & Sisters of the Four winds, who replied to our call for Unity &
Solidarity. United and strong, together we can defend what is ours for our
generations to come. Deepest respect.

As the Indigenous Peoples of Australia, we weren't afforded civil rights and
as such we weren't recognised and we've missed that process for the last two
hundred years. I don't think you can have any laws that are appropriate for
Aboriginal people in this country until you have a treaty, which ends the war.
Before you have a treaty you have to have an end to hostilities. Before those
processes take place, you can't talk about having a civil rights society.

One of our rights being breached is the right to consent. Aboriginal people
haven't consented. If you do things without consent, it's considered rape.
Now, a lot of crimes have been committed against Aboriginal people. There is a
history of denial, which has gone on, and these crimes are continuing.

They won't take the fundamental steps towards establishing a civil society.
They need to have a treaty; they need to end the war against the Aboriginal
people. We know we've had a war here, but they can't tell you what day it
ended. That may be the national day this country could celebrate.

Until they have that treaty with Aboriginal people we can't talk about making
laws for Aboriginal people or applying it to them. The treaty will give them
that basis of law to do it.

They've had 200 years in isolation from the rest of the world to do exactly
what they wanted to do. They've lied all the way - terra nullius - they've
said they lied about that. They've admitted that they stole children: that's
article (e) of the Genocide Convention. They've had an inquiry into the deaths
in custody, killing members of the group. They've caused mental stress on
Aboriginal people - and everything that's in the Genocide Convention,
Australia's breached. I can't believe that it gets swept aside each time.
It's like you're talking to a brick wall.

Well, the treaty gets written by our people, and signed by white-fellers. Our
elders are to put it into place. Our people write the treaties, and the
white-feller signs it because he's on our land, and that's the deal. We
write it. We write it in aboriginal language, we write it in white-fella
language, and we write it in Latin if you want it. We'll get the
interpretation deadly, because we'll do it. We'll interpret it; it's our
treaty. We're allowing it to happen; it's up to us to consent to this. You
know what I mean? Otherwise they'll remain the illegitimate bastard-child of
England, Australia. That's what they are.

"Today we are remembering our eldest elders, those who initiated the long
struggle of resistance against the arrogance of Power and the violence of money.
They, our ancestors, taught us that a people with pride are a people who do not
surrender, who resist, who have dignity." - from Our Word Is Our Weapon

- Robbie Thorpe: Black GST & Camp Sovereignty

Robbie Thorpe is from the Krautungalung people of the Gunnai Nation, the
traditional owners of Lake Tyers

!! Stop the Genocide on Stolen Aboriginal Land

* End Aboriginal deaths in Custody! Justice for Mulrunji and all killed
in custody.
* Implement the recommendations of the Royal Commission into
Aboriginal Deaths in Custody!
* Land rights not mining rights! No new mines, no new dumps!
* Fund community controlled services, not troops, cops and martial law!
Social well-fair, not social control!
* Aboriginal control of Aboriginal affairs! Treaty NOW!
* International Day of Action

Saturday July 14th Kulin Nations (Melbourne Australia)

International Indigenous Unity
Aboriginal Australia
Black GST
Camp Sovereignty
Aotearoa
Te Ata Tino Toa
Conscious Collaborations - Global indigenous Network
Mana Wahine
Komiti Pasifika
Whakaminenga o Te Paatu
Aocafe (Aotearoa Cafe)
IA Imagine Native Action
Indiginz
Hone Harawira, Maori Party MP Te Tai, Tokerau
Te Ururoa Flavell, Maori Party MP, Waiariki
Metiria Turei List MP Green party Aotearoa/NZ
Great Turtle Island
American Indian Movement
Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
MNN Mohawk Nation News
Mapuche Solidarity Coalition

(ENDS)

'As Indigenous peoples, the way to recovering freedom
and power and happiness is clear: it is time for each
one of us to make the commitment
to transcend colonialism as people, and for us to work
together as peoples to become forces of Indigenous
truth against the lie of colonialism.'
- Taiaiake Alfred
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 02:35:52 AM by NyaInIJahLove »
Come celebrate JahTime is Come
singers&players of instruments
JahLovers &Freedom Lovers
www.earthreggae.com

Ras_Nevoe

• "Da Prophet"
  • Senior User
  • Certified V.O.R.(Victim of Racism)

Blessed Love, Sistren Nya.

InI appreciate this article. If the I has anymore info please share with I. It is a shame, the lack of respect and compassion for indigenous peoples world-wide after all this time.

In my country of birth it is the Mayan Indian who's land were stolen by the Spaniards, I have family members who are fighting directly for the rights of the Mayans as we speak.

Just goes to show, the struggle is an international one, and White Supremacy, is a global system of oppression.

Again thanks...............

Blessings

Ras Nevoe
"Everyone is crying out for peace, non is crying out for JUSTICE."--- Peter Tosh

NyaInIJahLove

• Veteran User
  • InI Live 4Iva in JahLove
    • www.earthreggae.com

Yes Mi Brudda,
true story
I will obtain more info for the I, we found this on a site called Rasta in Oz, There was an awesome thread regarding the latest foul action of the Au/US gov. Sending the Army into Aboriginal communites with the excuse of pedophilia, gross, inappropriate action in my book. It is obviously a land grab as they are trying to renege on a Permit system that keeps Aboriginal communities safe from invasion, the permit system, I think was brought in by the last gov, which made slightly more headway with reconciliation.
 I suspect they want the land to dump Uranium, or perhaps mine, or maybe it is for the US military testing, we will find out soon, I suppose. It makes me so angryfiyahed. I heard the people in communities were starting to run into the bush in fear when they heard the Army were coming, as they have no reason to Trust those type of people.
Anyway, it is stirring lots of people up, and hopefully enuff people will get fiyahed up enuff to get some real change and support for these people....
I heard 50 groups were protesting in Canberra, but there is nothing about that on the news.
Dreadful racist gov, well I hope they dread the Dread coz the Dread is Angry and wants Justice, equal rights and Land Rights for Indigenious people and reparation and reconciliation for ALL people who've suffered throughout the lands from their corrupt hands. Anyway I think this will bring this gov to a halt, they have gone too far and are losing popularity fast.
Not that I will vote, I only recognize Jah as Authority,and the Rightfully Owners of the Land, and not an illegally occupying, money-hungry bunch of racists.
Sorry to be so heavy gut it makes me soooo mad to see these humble, beautiful people hurt yet again by those wrongfully in power.

Posted on: July 13, 2007, 08:43:30 am
Sorry the sites called Oz Reggae and here is a link to the thread I got the above article from
http://forums.ozreggae.com/index.php?showtopic=6237
Big up
Sis Nyah
Jah tek we hiyah

Posted on: July 13, 2007, 01:31:23 pm
I look at the struggle and situation many aboriginal people find themselves in today will show a damaged sense of culture and family due to the practises and kinds of experiences described below

“Y’know, I can remember we used to just talk lingo. [In the Home] they used to tell us not to talk that language, that it’s devil’s language. And they’d wash our mouths with soap. We sorta had to sit down with Bible language all the time. So it sorta wiped out all our language that we knew.”

—Testimony of an Aboriginal woman forcibly removed from her parents and placed at Umewarra Mission, from the Australian Human Rights Commission’s “National Inquiry into the Separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children from their Families.”

Those sitting in the halls of the academy or human rights institutions may find it difficult to define “the right to culture” in pithy terms, but indigenous Australians know what it is all too well. Having been brutally violated by the post-colonial Australian state, the right to culture is no great mystery to the thousands of Aboriginal adults currently living in Australia who have not walked over their ancestral lands, cannot tell their people’s stories or sing their songs, cannot speak their native tongue, and do not know the face of their own mother. As one Aboriginal woman of the “stolen generation” (as they have come to be known) told the National Inquiry: “I got told my Aboriginality when I got whipped and they’d say, ‘You Abo, you nigger.’ That was the only time I got told my Aboriginality.”

We can begin to capture the meaning of a right to culture by tracing the spaces where cultural identity has been hollowed out. Aboriginal Australians, who today are deftly using the resources of international and domestic law, the media, and the economic marketplace to regain their cultural rights, conduct their fight against an historical background of systematic state-sponsored abuse. For the first seventy-plus years of the twentieth century, eradicating Aboriginal culture, more benignly known as “assimilation,” was Australian government policy. Paul Hasluck, the most infamous Minister for Native Affairs, summarized the policy when he wrote in the early 1950s: “Assimilation means, in practical terms, that, in the course of time, it is expected that all persons of aboriginal [sic] blood or mixed blood in Australia will live like other white Australians do.”

Like culture itself, this policy of cultural eradication did not exist as some abstract set of ideas but was played out on the bodies of Aboriginal people, and most powerfully the bodies of Aboriginal children. Australian policy makers, like their U.S. and Canadian counterparts, recognized that the life of a culture depends on its transmission across generations. As such, breaking the connection between parents (and communities) and children was the shortest route to killing their culture. While records are imprecise, the Commission’s report indicates that from 1910 to 1970 between one in three and one in ten Aboriginal children were forcibly taken from their families, transported across the vast continent, and placed in state or church run institutions, or with white foster or adoptive parents. Contact with their original families was forbidden, and they were often punished for speaking with their siblings in their mother tongue. Most were not even told that they were Aboriginal.

Aboriginality, either as they lived it in their own bodies or as they saw it in the relatives seeking them out (but with whom contact was refused), was the object of derision. As one woman recalled:
 We were playing in the schoolyard and this old black man came to the fence. I could hear him singing out to me and my sister. I said: ‘Don’t go. There’s a black man’. And we took off. It was two years ago I found out that was my grandfather. He came looking for us. I don’t know when I ever stopped being frightened of Aboriginal people. I don’t know when I realized I was Aboriginal. It’s been a long hard fight for me. 

That long hard fight, which until recently almost all members of the stolen generation have waged alone, marks the attempt of the Aboriginal people to recapture their connection with their cultural identity. Aware now of the world into which they were born, that their own life had been a node in an intricate kinship among people, land, animals, plants, celestial bodies, and ancestral beings, this loss cannot be repaired. And because culture only exists through the lived experience of actual people, Aboriginal culture has itself been the victim of this process of removal.

Of course, this was the whole point of the policy. The Australian state, established as an independent federation in 1901, was constituted on the ground of other preexisting indigenous nations, which mapped the land with their own systems of governance, laws, and other forms of social organization. In order to claim political and legal legitimacy, the post-colonial Australian state had to adopt the pretence that none of this existed—that the continent was, to use the legal term, terra nullius, empty land. When Aboriginal people spoke their languages, passed their land rights down the generations according to indigenous law, or dealt out legal remedies for breaches of customary law, they were giving testament to the fiction of the modern state’s claim to absolute sovereignty.

In this sense, the common view that the damage to Aboriginal cultures (languages, kinships, social relations, land rights, etc.) was the unavoidable collateral damage caused by the populations of colonial and post-colonial states simply exercising their cultural preferences, represents a failure to recognize the cultural implications of assertions of sovereignty. Like the denial of land rights, the removal of children and all that went with it was one means of securing the untrammeled political, legal, and economic claims of the post-colonial Australian state.

Here one can clearly see the intrinsic connection between cultural rights and the full range of other human rights—civil, political, social, and economic—as affirmed at the 1993 World Conference on Human Rights in Vienna. Culture is not a set of optional practices tacked onto a set of individuals who would otherwise enjoy the full range of human rights. It is the organizing network within which those rights are held. For those of us whose cultures have not been systematically undermined, this intimate link is invisible, or taken for granted. It comes into relief only when the culture, the sovereign claims, the economic resources, and the legal rights of a group are simultaneously and inter-dependently violated.

This cultural integrity is of course something that Aboriginal peoples know from the inside—and not only through violation, but also in the fabric of their lives. This is the other side of this story: the cultural renaissance that Aboriginal peoples are creating for themselves, and their reinvigorated claims for political and economic rights. Just as the removal of children and the decimation of communities atomized Aboriginal peoples and undermined their capacity to make more comprehensive claims, so too their reconnection to community and to the web of culture provides the ground for pressing forward with such claims. In both domestic and international forums, indigenous peoples are making a new type of human rights claim—one that goes beyond the dominant view that culture is a less important right than other rights. Instead, their cultural rights claim is closely tied into the more substantive rights to land and material resources, and of course the right that provokes the greatest hostility from nation states: self determination. It is as though history is being played in reverse: Asserting the right to indigenous cultures is now paving the road to the reintegration of viable political and economic communities, and training the eyes of the international community on the Aboriginal worlds that lie beneath the map that colonial powers pasted over the globe.

Yes I!!!!

About Human Rights Dialogue

Human Rights Dialogue promotes a global discussion of human rights ideas and practices by presenting firsthand accounts of human rights issues as they arise within specific real-life contexts. In so doing, it helps to clarify the significant and ongoing evolution that is taking place within the human rights movement to make the human rights framework more relevant and effective in addressing the social, economic, and political challenges of the twenty-first century.
The entire publication is online, or you may purchase individual print copies.

Series One (1993–1998)examines all sides of the Asian values debate—the argument that Asian cultural values imply different human rights standards and priorities from those in the West.

Series Two(2000–2005)addresses the problem of the “human rights box”—the constraints that have enabled the human rights framework to gain currency among elites while limiting its advance among the most vulnerable. Specifically, the essays aim to locate the barriers to greater public legitimacy of human rights and to demonstrate how those barriers can be overcome.

Related

Biography
Danielle Celermajer

Topic
Human Rights

Country
Australia 

Resource Highlights

The Stolen Generation

How Australian Aboriginal children were taken from their families.
> More
> All Section 1 

Soft Power: The Means to Success in World Politics

Hard power alone cannot deal with terrorism, says Joseph Nye.
> More
> All Audios 

POLICY INNOVATIONS

The Council's online magazine and blog featuring innovative ideas for a fairer globalization.
> More 

Come celebrate JahTime is Come
singers&players of instruments
JahLovers &Freedom Lovers
www.earthreggae.com

natty threads

• Senior User

I am not clear EXACTLY what is happening-

Ras Nevoe, we can write our congresspeople that we are unhappy with the situation in Australia and that our country should not be blocking the UN from developing a treaty between the Australian government and the indigenous people of Australia-

IS THIS WHAT IS GOING ON????

We have to know the situation to demand our government initiate a solution or denitiate blocking one.

I'll be back.

Bless up, people.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.