Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: argumentation vs. reasoning  (Read 4191 times)

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
    • Rasta Nick's website & forum
argumentation vs. reasoning
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:17:54 PM »

Reasoning is occupied with ideas and their relations; argumentation has to do with the forms of logic. A thesis is set down: you attack, I defend it; you insist, I prove; you distinguish, I destroy your distinctions; my replies balance or overturn your objections. Such is argumentation. It supposes that there are two sides, and that both agree to the same rules. Reasoning, on the other hand, is often a natural process, by which we form, from the general analogy of nature, or special presumptions in the case, conclusions which have greater or less degrees of force, and which may be strengthened or weakened by subsequent experience.
Even the longest journey starts with one step

Human

• Veteran User
Re: argumentation vs. reasoning
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »

Well put, i agree with that statement and wish there was more reasoning on here, I tried early on but was soon being told i was wrong and yes i eventually began using argumentation out of anger and realize it is never a positive road. I hope this forum can be turned around into a place for reasoning, I will from now do my part to help it along instead of stearing away, give thanks.

kurdish

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »

i agree with you brothers and hope to see everyone do the same..
Open your eyes look within are you satisfied with the life that your living?

surfmon_I

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:42:49 PM »

Two sides indeed.  There are always the two sides, if not more facets to a topic.  All of which should be given the chance to grow naturally and in the end all sides may learn.  The existence of these sides is not meant to divide, they are part of the whole.  A view I have always respected in Rastafari culture. 
  Argumentation is combative and divisive.  Although there is something to be said regarding ones views and pursuant to the line of thinking, it is when it becomes futile and counter productive that the many may not be a part of a whole.  In this case, it may be viewed as extreemism, and also very hard to be accepted as part of the whole.
  It would be quite something if the veil of distance is lifted and we can start to express how VERY much we have in Common.  Many Thanks Bredren Nick for touching up on this very basic difference.  I too would stand for more reasoning and freedom of ones to respectfully share views.  No need for downstroying, only enlightening .
  OneLove

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »

"A quarrel is the minimum you need to have an argument."
----Tiny Little Super-Guy

The purposes are different.

Since we are supposed to UPLIFT one-another (which should be easier on a keyboard with all the time in the world than in real life),  argument shouldn't be considered for any purpose other than logic practice.

Hah! Tell that to a teen-age boy.
I have one of my own at home.
Thank-you God he is at least humble.

Bless up.

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
    • Rasta Nick's website & forum
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:21:37 PM »

The purposes are different
That one sentence sparked a thought that has crossed my mind several times. .... I am struggling to find the correct way to phrase this ...hmmm

When making a post what do you wish to achieve by your post. What is the purpose? I am directing this question at all members .. myself included!

Is my post my opinion or do I believe that what I am posting is simply 'right'? In either case what am I likely to achieve, learn or gain from my post?

Is my post made ....
To share knowledge?
To uplift?
To defend ones rights?
To chant down babylon?
To expose a wolf?
To belittle?
To insult?
To judge someones elses opinion?
To educate?
To humiliate?
To question a thought raised?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 12:23:42 PM by Rasta Nick »
Even the longest journey starts with one step

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:21:48 AM »

Thinking about the purpose of my communications has fundamentally changed my speaking and writing habits.

I have actually quit being "right" and been a lot more forgiving, especially over small stuff.

When someone spills or breaks something, it wasn't intentional, and getting tense about it after-the-fact will NOT change future behavior- only make it more tense and more likely to result in mishap.

We are supposed to encourage and uplift one-another.
Thinking about why I am saying what I am saying has helped me to do this more consistantly in my family.

Thank-you, Rasta Nick.

Bless up!!!

I ELIJAH I

• Veteran User
  • Its a Foolish Dog That Bark at a Flying Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »

Refusing to acknowledge even the smallest mistake is itself the BIGGEST problem.
Fear the terrible g-d of Israel.

ke

• Veteran User
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »

yes I,
bless up brotha nick for giving us a great place to reason
RASpect.
ke
"each one teach one"-M1 from Dead Prez

surfmon_I

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 12:01:23 PM »

Refusing to acknowledge even the smallest mistake is itself the BIGGEST problem.
To acknowledge even the smallest mistake require Humility.  If we are not able to look at this within ourselves, we do not know Oneness. 

cristine27

• Newbie User
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 03:19:36 AM »

When I was a little kid, reasoning and argument is the same.  But when I grow up, I have learned that reasoning is not the same as argument.  Reasoning is the cognitive process of looking for reasons, beliefs, conclusions, actions or feelings.  While an argument is valid if and only if the truth of the conclusion is a logical consequence of the premises and its corresponding conditional is a necessary truth.

Smoky J

• New User
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 11:54:30 PM »

Rasta Nick,
Humble shared knowledge and uplift, you provide brother...
Jah Bless
S J

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.