Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rasta: Locks or Turbens for look  (Read 6203 times)

Humble_yet_strong

• Full User
  • RasTaFarI is the Almighty, Celestial Powers
Rasta: Locks or Turbens for look
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:45:02 AM »

Blessings to all I & I

Greetings I man recently spoke with a bredda

Just like to get some other I's views pon this: Is it wrong to want to wear a Bobo Turben or Locks for looks alone, just because they feel it looks good?

Please share feelings and views pon this

Give Thanks

JAHLove
I an I are in Revelation time, prepare the youth.

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
    • Rasta Nick's website & forum
Re: Rasta: Locks or Turbens for look
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »

I am sure there will be many opinions - mine is a simple one.

Why would I feel the need to judge somebody for choosing a hair style or 'head dress' that they felt comfortable in?

I guess some people will think it is disrespectful yet I do not see why or how a hair style can be disrespectful - in this case the locks are a hair style ... people are disrespectful not hair!

Even the longest journey starts with one step

Humble_yet_strong

• Full User
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »

Greetings

Blessings bredda Nick

Im not nessessarily talking about judging someone for choosing a particular way to wear locks or head dress.  Im talking about observing the reasons for choosing so, is it wrong to choose to wear for material reasons?

Give thanks and Praise

JAH RASTAFARI

Ras Adam

• Senior User
  • Jah Love To One and All
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »

One of Babylons many ways to try brake down Rastafari & righteous ways, is to commercialize Rastafari to a fashion/funny thing. Then we see the tams with fake locks hanging out.
Iman observe dreadlocks, in this time, as the believers in Selassie I's symbol for their faith (amongst other symbols). Therefore, to just grow them for fun, or for the look, is in I sight like to wear a big iron cross around the neck, without believing in Jesus.
If it was just a culture "reggae culture" or anything like that, I would have no problem. But this is a faith, this is truth, this is spirituality. So to see mindless spoiled teenagers wear ites green and gold, grow the dread (with wax and many other things) and even some of them screaming JAH name in vain - that is too much for Iman. So Iman against foolish youths wearing the dread and the BoboShanti turban for no reason. And I know "it's just hair" but it isn't. It's the nazirites/Selassie-followers wool. In some ways, it is our life, and our mediation, even our crown.
So I would say it is very disrespectful and childish to take symbols from a very serious faith, just for looks. That is why I man see drunk dreadlocks in the city, and dreadlocks in fights with others. They also damage the image of Rastafari towards the world, because they don't set the example. This is serious.
I don't fight any wolf physically... But I don't like them.

ONENESS

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
    • Rasta Nick's website & forum
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »

Im talking about observing the reasons for choosing so, is it wrong to choose to wear for material reasons?
Again tricky in my opinion. Ras Adam raises many good points as to why it is 'wrong'. Especially when people are actually claiming to be Rasta.

I would suggest that each case is individual and it may be 'wrong' to make a global judgment.
Even the longest journey starts with one step

I ELIJAH I

• Veteran User
  • Its a Foolish Dog That Bark at a Flying Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »

True that what matters is the deeper meanings we have or fool ourselves with. I sight this issue as positive because it creates Itection in numbers, even if some only represent in the superficial.   
Fear the terrible g-d of Israel.

Soldier of Jah

• Ras Sanjah
  • Senior User
  • Humbleness, righteousness, consciousness.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:45:50 PM »

Greetings Idren!
I suppose it was I who Humble_yet_strong was talking about, as we had a big discussion when I recently started wearing the turban.
I love the feeling in wearing the turban, and I think it looks great also.
When I wear it I feel stronger and people dont look at me as just "another dreadhead", seen?
And just because Bobos wear it cause of their belief, would it then be disrespectful for I to wear it, as Iman not a Bobo?
If a woman who is not Muslim, is wearing a veil, is she being disrespectful to Islam? Not really, so why would it be disrespectful to Bobo Ashanti if Iman wear a turban?
About the dreadlocks, im wearing them proudly as my crown and mane, and they give me strength and are very important for I, as they are a part of me, and a part of my life, aswell as a part of my personality.
Back to the turban issue...
Why would it be vanity for I to wear a turban if im happy with it, and if it makes me feel stronger, aswell as it looks great? Where's the vanity and wrong in that? Show I .

Blessings, Selassie I the first.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:47:30 PM by Soldier of Jah »
Jah Jah light is so bright it can be seen even by the blind

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:49:50 AM »

"is in I sight like to wear a big iron cross around the neck, without believing in Jesus."

See what happens when one superimposes reasons and motivations on actions...
Not productive.

In my sight, "A big iron cross" screams Nazi and leaves Jesus out in the alley.

A person through changing style and dress CAN change thinking and habits.

Do not begrudge a person the opportunity to start at the physical or stylistic level to improve his or her self.

Oh, and Bless up!

Pinoy Jex

• yes?
  • Normal User
  • Tayo'y magsama-sama, tayo'y magkaisa
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:01:36 AM »

I am sure there will be many opinions - mine is a simple one.

Why would I feel the need to judge somebody for choosing a hair style or 'head dress' that they felt comfortable in?

I guess some people will think it is disrespectful yet I do not see why or how a hair style can be disrespectful - in this case the locks are a hair style ... people are disrespectful not hair!

yeah I agree, I don't see anything disrespectful about hairstyle.. because people should wear it whichever way they are comfortable in

bless
Hello "I'm Jex"

Humble_yet_strong

• Full User
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »

Greetings and thanks for the many replies.

Pinoy Jex:  I agree people should wear whatever is comfortable, as it will be bearable in the long term.  Comfort is a factor, and is much more appreciloved than merley dressing a certain way to look a certain way.

Natty Threads: If somebody decides to dress a certain way for example Rasta, or Muslim, or whatever.  Does this make them this way?  People CAN change this way, but more often than not dont.  Clothes dont make you spiritual or conscious, they only make you feel as if you fit to your preffered social group.  You say not to begrudge an oppurtunity to change someones physical self, well how about for once people think of dashing the "self" and realising whats really substantial and significant, instead of material?

Elijah:  I see what your saying about protection in numbers, however when the time comes the wolves lose their sheeps clothing and we realise we wernt protected but surrounded.  Just an observation.

Souljah of JAH:  I didnt want to say names as to single you out at all bredda, but seen as you have.  You say you love the feel of the Turban, which is fine and you said you like the look.  But when I ask you, the only thing mentioned was about the "Look".  Cloth on your head doesnt make you stronger, neither does wrapping your dreads.  If anything having dreads out is more natural and a preferance when not being submerged within babylon.  Again however this wasnt your reasoning, just concerned with the look.  If you didnt want to be another "dreadhead" why get dreads in the first place?  Be proud of them!  Who really gives a shit what other people think, when everyone thinks with ego.  The man who looks at you for being "another dreadhead" should enforce you on your path, make you fortified.  Not make you concerned with how you are perceived to look? Seen? 
     Its not nessessarily disraspectful to wear a Bobo Turban if your not a Bobo, but it is if your reasons for doing so are as I say for look.  To look bobo, or to look anything.  In regards to Dreadlocks, you should wear them proudly and as your crown, blessed.  But my crown is a chakra that cannot be taken away, my hair is like the jewels of my crown.  Your strength doesnt come from your Locks it comes from JAH in my opinion, the hair is a conducter of energy, and it stores this energy.  Everything comes from JAH, without locks you would still have strength.  Spiritual strength is inexplicably linked to the Locks however.
     The vanity in what you are doing comes from the reasons your doing it, and the primary answer you gave me was for look.  Look is not spiritual or conscious, look perishes along with flesh.  If there was a deeper answer or even if you said you were unsure of why yet, it would have been more acceptable to hear.   However such answers lead me to beleive the ego is driving such a desicion as when when questions are asked ego answers plainly and shallowly.  The consciousnes does not.

Give thanks and Praise to the One Most I

JAH RASTAFARI

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 05:38:26 PM »

Humble_yet_strong, I totally sight what you are saying. I used to be a crew-cut sporting hard-core punk rocker (very early eighties- no worries- well outgrown).

My friends and I spent countless hours picking apart  the "two-way do's" and "fauxhawks" of the "wannabes" that invaded our favorite coffee holes.

It just wasn't productive in any way.
At some point in there I learned not to judge by appearances.

Yes, dreads are a sign of a vow and dreading without being dread will not make a person a dread.
But it might help. I suppose following that line of reasoning though, Madonna, with all her early cross-wearing, should be halfway to sainthood by now and we all know how she's turning out (bless her anyway).

It's just with all the other things there are to worry about, don't sweat the hair, eh?

God love you for it.

Bless up.

Ras Adam

• Senior User
  • Jah Love To One and All
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

Okay, sistren Natty, then say "A big cross" instead.. Still the same thing.

I don't care what people try to look like, or try to be.. That is just boring vanity..  But when it hurts Iman congregation and heathens view on the real G-d, then it is serious business.

RasTafari culture is already "broken" in the image in this society. It is a joke, a funny, tourist thing to watch. " ha ha, the Bob Marley look a like smokes again!" -  "The name of the rastafarians god is Jah".

Fyah burn that. It burns now, and it will burn in the last hours. All the fake dreads, all the wolves, is living in ignorance, and are digging their own hole, which they will fall into.

But I know what the I mean, sister. Iman my self some years ago, started with wearing a rasta-tshirt. But the only reason that Iman don't apologize for wearing it with ignorance, is that the culture, lead I to G-d. Same as reggae music. Reggae & dancehall music is just music. No godly vibes. Can be fine vibes, but still.. Many babylonians like this music, and does not listen to the message. The only reason, why it is more positive than rock or punk music, is that is has the message of life, JAH love, judgment and so on.
If one only wear the shirt, without digging into the faith - then it is dead livity. The shirt is dead.
If one listen to reggae, but ignore the godly message - then it is dead livity. The music is dead.

And as Selassie I congregation - we deal with Life Livity.

Raspect, sistren.

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »

I think with the cross people recognize that it is a style issue so often and not an icon of faith.

But if a man has dreads they assume it is a genuine reflection of a religion based on smoking dope.
Either way, they're missing the point.

***big shrug and hands out***

Whatareyagonnado?

Walk the walk.
Stay true to Jah.

Spread the word (LOVE) and lead by example.

Don't think Christianity isn't a joke to many people.
ALL religion is a joke so someone.
There is no "safe" reflection of Yah.

It burns now, and it will burn in the last hours. All the fake dreads, all the wolves, is living in ignorance, and are digging their own hole, which they will fall into.

Raspect, sistren.

Vengeance is Mine, sayeth The Lord.

There have always been wolves in sheep's clothing.

It is painful to see ones faith disrespected.
It is the person disrespecting who is suffering, though.

Forgiveness you do for yourself, not the other person.
Forgive those who wear the outer shell and never grow the inner person.

;)

Respect, Brother.

Bless up!

mirat

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:14:41 AM »

Ites Deh!

:)

ders a lotta sense if people see whats other people believe in, not what they just showing to everyone...

Love & Raspect brethrens!

rasmoses

• Regular User
  • RasMoses
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 04:48:27 AM »

I man must say I agree with Ras Adam on this one. Too many hippies and wolves in sheeps clothing making a FAD out of I and I livity!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.