Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: quetions  (Read 2575 times)

rastacam

quetions
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:14:05 PM »

I am a new rastafarian and I have some guestions
What can I eat?
Can I use a christian bible?
Do I go to church?
What are the Holidays?
How should I pray?
Are there any important customs I should be aware of?
What is Jah and Zion?
Is it ok if I dont smoke?

Just some questions
one love

Julian

• Regular User
Re: quetions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »

Everyone believes different things however my view is:

Eat according to Kashrut

Yes but many wrong translations in a Christian bible so you may want to purchase a more up to date version.

Not Christian Church no, Christian service is in my opinion worshiping a idol which is forbidden.

Holidays told in the OT defiantly for me such as Passover and Hanukkah also if you believe in Jesus as the Christ you may want to celebrate his birthday and related festivals such as Easter and if you see Selassie as the Christ or anything else that is Holy you may want to celebrate his birthday, Coronation and Groundation day.

How should you pray, well if we are following OT it is very much like the Muslim prayer, basically the Jewish way of praying. If you follow Jesus then it is how he taught where you kneel and put your hands together.

Well many traditional Rastas on here are very Afrocentric  so they study into African ways of doing things e.g. the Ethiopian orthodox Church has many customs and these relate into Rasta through this view.

Jah come from the Hebrew word Yah which is a name for the Lord and Zion refers to the land of Israel.

Of course it is, i don't smoke Marijuana as i believe there is no need, there is no need to use something external which we can achieve by our self. Marijuana does not bring you closer to Yah in my opinion just brings the illusion you are as most people associate the Lord with joy and happiness.

Remember these are just my oppinion, make your own through reading scripture and learning

boz :)

• Normal User
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »

@Julian

What version of the Bible would you recommend? I read from various sources that the King James version is the best and this is currently the version I read, I couldn't find anywhere that sells them though so I asked in charity shops but they didn't have it so I asked the local Anglican vicar and he gave me his own personal one for a small donation to his church bells appeal. Which I thought was beautiful of him to do so, he must have had it a long long time and must be special to him:-)

I also found an Amharic/English version with a foreword by HIM Haile Selassie I! How do you think the translations will be in this? Both from the point of view of being a modern print and also the Amharic to English translation? This is the New Testament only but when I get that far (Still half way through Isaiah) I'd like to continue my study from this version if I know it will be reliable reading. Maybe even learn a little Amharic in the process.

Julian

• Regular User
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 08:13:05 PM »

Hmm well to be honest with you i am not certain, i personally own a KJV as well but it is greatly flawed so i usually look up the original verse that has been translated directly from Hebrew e.g. on this online site that only Translates the OT http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0.htm. This way it helps keep the Bible as pure as possible without having to learn Hebrew. The Ahramaic Bible will certainly be better than the KJV as the KJV was first translated into Greek from Hebrew then into many other European languages and it can be expected that each time it is translated errors would be made. So yeh i believe this Bible will be better:) As the Ahramaic Bible was translated straight from Hebrew.

• Normal User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:16:17 AM »

That link looks really useful, it's now in my bookmarks. I'd never thought of looking online for either a Hebrew or Amharic version - not sure how I'll read that on my sabbath yet; maybe print the pages or something. Or maybe I'll read my KJV then refer to that website once the sabbath is completed and I can use my laptop again.

I struggle to read so my university as part of their student welfare programme gave me a laptop and put the notes online so I can cut and paste, change text size, change colour or do whatever I need to to read it better. I also struggle reading my KJV because of the way it is laid out with small writing and two columns of text per page so now I've got the Bible online I'll be able to do the same and read it easier - thank you for the link :)

Also what is this Kashrut in your first post? Is it the same as Leviticus?

Julian

• Regular User
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:54:10 PM »

Ah that's good:) Well atleast you are trying hard:D We are all given challenges in life, just some more than others and i have great respect for your determination:D

Kashrut, yeah basically it is Leviticus' laws that were sent directly from the Lord to Moses on Sinai:D

Ras Troy

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:00:16 AM »

Greetings bredrens,

I nd I have only risen 3 months ago and have been reading alot of the post on this forum.  I nd I give thanks to the most high for the forum.  I read that in this post you follow the dietary laws of leviticus.  I nd I reasoned this with I nd I bredrens in I nd I ghetto about the laws of leviticus.  Even though the laws states that certain meats are allowed to be eaten, the bredrens in I nd I ghetto do not allow it.  I nd I was told that the vow in Numbers 6 prohibits this.  Is this true?

Also I nd I would like to find out if there is a bredren or sistren who maybe has a chart of the twelve houses so that I nd I can find out where I nd I fit in.

Bless up,
Jah Ras Tafari 

Julian

• Regular User
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »

Well Troy the reason your friends probably do not eat meat is because a Nazarene is not allowed to go near a dead body, and eating meat would be in turn eating a dead body. that is also why they will refuse to go to funerals and graveyards and such.

• Normal User
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 04:07:13 PM »

Troy, about half way down the first post is a rough table with tribes, birth month and colour in this link : http://forums.rasta-man.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,4836.0.html or this link: http://www.rastafarian.net/tribetab.htm shows a lot more information.

I've not got my bible to hand to read and get the exact words but I think Numbers says that a Nazarite can't touch death so I guess that by eating meat (even that allowed in Leviticus) whilst taking this vow is to touch death also.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you Julian :)

Wolde Negus

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »

Greetings in the Holy Name of H. I. M.  Qadamawi Haile Selassie, the Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah.

“What can I eat?”

It is good and just to keep the Commandaments concerning impure foods, since those foods are impure, even though they do not curse you.  In Leviticus chpt 11 it is written everything about that.
Every vegetable is allowed, since it was created good and pure as the original food for man, which is I-tal.

“Can I use a christian bible?”

Until the Haile Selassie’s Version will not have an official translation, you can use the King James Version.  It is good also to compare it with the hebrew  and greek tests.

”Do I go to church?”
If in your area there are Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Churches you might go there.  If they accept you as a Rastaman, you are entering the House of the Lord of Israel trully.
The Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church is the Church of our God and King Emperor Haile Selassie I, Who is Its Head, as officially proclaimed, and “Defender” (Defender of the Orthodox faith, title bestowed upon Him by the Patriarchs of the Oriental Chuches)

”What are the Holidays?”

These are the main Festivals of our Liturgic Calendar:

Birth of the Christ Jesus: Genuary 7
Baptism of Christ Jesus: 19 Genuary
Death of the Christ Jesus (Holy Friday): moveable Feastl
Resurrection of the Christ Jesus (Passover): moveable Feast, just after Holy Friday
Assumption of the Christ Jesus: August 22
Feast of the Cross (Maskal): September 27
Birth of the Christ Haile Selassie I: July 23
Regal Annointment of the Crhist Haile Selassie I: November 2
Day of the Martyrs of the Italo-Ethiopian war: February 19
Liberation of Ethiopia from Fascism: May 5
Foundation of the 'Ethiopian World Federation: August 25
New Year: September 11

Sabbaths (Senbet) and Sundays (Krestian Senbet) are also observed, from sun-down to sun-down.

”How should I pray?”
Say the “Our Father” which you can find in Mattew 6, 9 and read Psalms. 

”Are there any important customs I should be aware of?”

You can study these sites: www. ethiopianorthodox. org   www. AbbaYesehaq. com  which are very very useful sites.

”What is  Zion?”

Zion is the Holy Land and City of Jerusalem, whence all peoples come from, and where all peoples must return.  Zion is Jerusalem, but we know there is a second and New Jerusalem, and it is Ethiopia, Mount Zion, The Seat of the King.

“Is it ok if I dont smoke?”

Absolutely you are free to smoke and not to smoke.  It is not a requirement, neighter a sacrament, even though herb it is a blessing of the Father.

Blessed Love, and have a Blessed Senbet.

Humble_yet_strong

• Full User
  • RasTaFarI is the Almighty, Celestial Powers
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »

Greetings and many Blessings to all I & I

You cannot create an outline of the infinity that is Ras TafarI.

There are no rules or guidelines you can follow that will give you an overstanding.

Overstand yourself.  The People, and Mother Earth.  Then you MAY overstand Ras TafarI

"I am a New Rastafarian"-  I & I are not Rastafarians, we are Ras TafarI, and there is nothing new under the sun which has been or is to come.  Therefore you are not new, but in a sense you could say you are "born again".

"What can I eat"

You may eat whatever you wish my brother, no set of ritualised dogmatic practises will get you anywhere unless the foundation which you lay your trod upon is firm.  You must deconstruct babylons conditioning, and re build yourself on firm ground, not sinking sand.

Yes there are laws of what we should and shouldnt eat, and eventually you may begin to change your diet.  But you should do this because YOU wish to, not because it is "Rastafarian" to do so.

What comes out of your body defiles you moreso than what enters it.

"Can I read the Christian Bible"

Yes brother, read this and much more.  Read the Quaran, Bavagad gita, and anything else that is manifest upon your trod.  Do not get caught in the ignorant mindstate of neglecting things because they do not fit with a deemed picture of what you should be doing.  Your perceptions and ideals are based upon misconceptions of babylons subconscious manipulation.  Keep an Open Heart and Mind.

"Do I go to church"

Well brother, you should be getting deeper overstanding before taking the name RastafarI, it is not a fad or passing phase.  It is not a light thing, but a great sacrifice, and the ultimate burden.  it is also a great blessing.  My point is if your shoulders cannot take the burden you will be crushed keep this in mind.

The temple of the Most I resides in I & I.

"What are the Holidays"

Research, research, research.  Do not expect to just ask and recieve wisdom.  One must seek to find.  Yes answers will come from asking.  But the deep overstanding and learning process that one goes through is lost, through this detour and short cutting.  You sacrifice your personal conscious realisation and firm knowledge for someone elses.

"How should I pray"

I am not surprised at the responses to this question.  Yes their is the religious response of ritual and which positions to sit in, where hands rest, what to say. etc etc etc.  However.

One cannot copy another and one cannot tell another how to commune with the Most I.  I would say praying on your knees is the recognized way to pray.  But one can pray anywhere in any positions if one knows how to find that place of Zen within.  Speak from the Heart not from the mind, and calm your thoughts, words cannot form but vibrations, vibes.  Feelings.  This is resonated from your spirit soul into the cosmic Iternity of Iration. 

"Are there any important customs I should be aware of"

Time will tell.  Again do not just ask, but look for yourself.  The internet makes learning very very easy.  So ignorance comes from either laziness or a lack of self trust.  You have all the answers you need, all the knowledge within you.  Trust yourself and let JAHGuide you to the answers.  You must self enquire and use your sufficent abilities to achieve what you wish.  Power of thought manifest.  Attitude is everything.

"What is JAH and Zion"

I will have to cast a little more fiyah here bredda, and say re consider calling yourself the Title of Ras, until such time as you know what you are talking about.  Many jump on the bandwagon, for the wrong and right reasons.  But the last thing Ras needs is more people parading the crown in ignorance and calling JAH name in vain.  Love and Respect bredren, but I say these things with the most decent intentions at heart.

Know yourself, know JAH, know JAH know yourself.

It is through you that you experience life, and it is through JAH that you are able to.

It is also through you that you experience JAH.  It is also through JAH that you experience JAH

Know yourself.

Zion you will know when you find yourself, and JAH ;)

"Is it ok if I dont smoke"

Of course it is brother, your choices are your own.  JAH gives I & I abundance of this blessing.  Do not ask on the forum these questions, but ask the Father JAH Almighty ;)

Blessings

Love and Guidance

Selassie I, Most I, JAH Ras TafarI

I an I are in Revelation time, prepare the youth.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.