Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: "Fear of the Lord", fear in what sense?  (Read 3326 times)

brianlkennedy

• New User
  • Rasta man live up
"Fear of the Lord", fear in what sense?
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »

Greetings,
I was reasoning about some scripture the other day and I began to wonder what exactly "fear" meant in reference to the Lord.  For example in the King James Bible you have wisdom like:
"The fear of the Lord maketh a merry heart, and giveth joy, and gladness, and a long life. "

I was quite interested in that line and I wondered about the word "fear", does it mean to fear the judgment, or to respect or be in awe of.  Or maybe all of those things.

What would folks here say?

take care,
Brian

surfmon_I

Re: "Fear of the Lord", fear in what sense?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:54:33 PM »

Greetings Bredren,
  I would sight "fear" of falling out of Grace, Favor or the possible loss of Faith.  None of which is a factor if we focus on the guidelines of Righteous Living.  The basic principles of Love that radiate through our lives Ivery day and Ivery way.
  It is a fear of losing sight of that what is Vital, which is our inter~Oneness~I~nnection thru JAH which make All possible.
It is that relationship we spend our lives cultivating and culminate in a final apraisal of our efforts.

brianlkennedy

• New User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:32:23 PM »

Greetings Surfmon I
Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate the insights and your talk has helped me see some other aspects of the phrase.  It is good wisdom to say that one must fear losing sight of what matters, the Vital, the love.

thank you,
Brian

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:44:42 AM »

When YHWH talks to you and you suddenly decide that hearing The Almighty is no longer your goal in prayer THEN you will KNOW what "Fear of YHWH" is.

Until He speaks to you directly, it is pure speculation.

As far as "Fear of the Lord"- That may as well be Ba'al.

Just saying.

Bless up,
Jennifer

Shaggy Love

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »

Bless Bredren,

InI belive it to be a respectful type fear, for example I(you) fear to upset or disgrace your father because you love him right?
Same with Jah, be afraid to dishonor him,

Love and blessings,
Shaggy..

Knowledge

• Veteran User
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 10:40:22 PM »

Good Question.

The fearing of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. A true sound dat!! Because with wisdom comes Overstanding and with that you find out that there is indeed nothing to fear at all -------As long as you are upful and (try) to live right

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:59:43 PM »

Good Question.

The fearing of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. A true sound dat!! Because with wisdom comes Overstanding and with that you find out that there is indeed nothing to fear at all -------As long as you are upful and (try) to live right

Other than that you've already stated in other posts that you don't follow YHWH- How do you determine that there is nothing to fear?

Being "upful" and TRYING to live right- that's not YHWH you are pleasing in any way shape or form, there is no wisdom in what you speak, that wisdom is fear of YHWH and with wisdom comes knowledge that YHWH isn't to be feared.

How can you speak to "Fear of the LORD" when you yourself claim to have no LORD?

What am I missing?

Human

• Veteran User
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 02:44:41 AM »

I cant FEAR what doesn't make sense to begin with.

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 02:00:04 AM »

I cant FEAR what doesn't make sense to begin with.

Quite the opposite, as you well know.
Dissimulation much?

OF COURSE people fear what they do not overstand.

Issue is few know what they do and do not overstand hence have no knowledge even that they do fear.

Does no-one good to start with an established falsism "I can't fear what doesn't make sense."
People must work hard to not fear what doesn't make sense.

Bless up.

Human

• Veteran User
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 02:29:18 AM »

No Natty your mistaken my understanding for how you understand something, which is quite the opposite, for instance I dont believe the world is 6,000 years old like you do (established falsism), so please don't try to be on equal terms with me when it comes to understanding...thank you.

Again no, not all people FEAR what they don't understand, I don't understand Chinese, at the same time i don't Fear it either, I don't understand certain things in life, but, that does not fill me with Fear, in actuality it drives me to search certain things in life and question them until i understand them, but fear it, no that is for people who are not so sure about there beliefs.

Knowledge

• Veteran User
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »

In answer to your question Natty Threads;

I don't follow acronym's. I don't fear them either. Unlike yourself I am not afraid to ask questions about what I don't comprehend or overstand.
If something doesn't stack up I don't just go along with it because that is the expected thing to do. However I can overstand from your postings and viewpoint that you appear to be a person who has been immersed in Occidental teachings from an early age. Granted you do seem to know some of the fallacies of the established religions. But nonetheless you are consumed in the teachings of which are Babylonian in origin. For instance I note that on more than one occasion you rely upon Josephus and the likes, to substantiate what you are saying.  But let's take a look at the person you are using to validate your views:

Josephus (AD 37 c. 100),[2] also known as Yosef Ben Matityahu (Joseph, son of Matthias) and, after he became a Roman citizen, as Titus Flavius Josephus,[3] was a first-century Jewish historian and apologist

(Josephus) was conceited, not only about his own learning but also about the opinions held of him as commander both by the Galileans and by the Romans; he was guilty of shocking duplicity at Jotapata, saving himself by sacrifice of his companions; he was too naive to see how he stood condemned out of his own mouth for his conduct, and yet no words were too harsh when he was blackening his opponents; and after landing, however involuntarily, in the Roman camp, he turned his captivity to his own advantage, and benefitted for the rest of his days from his change of side.[9]

Josephus' credibility as a historian is questionable his works are usually dismissed as Roman propaganda or as a personal or Jewish apologetic, aimed at rehabilitating his reputation in history. More recently, commentators[who?] have reassessed previously-held views of Josephus. As P.J. O'Rourke quipped:

Beginning with the creation according to Genesis, he outlines Jewish history. Abraham taught science to the Egyptians, who in turn taught the Greeks. Moses set up a senatorial priestly aristocracy, which, like that of Rome, resisted monarchy. The great figures of the biblical stories are presented as ideal philosopher-leaders. There is again an autobiographical Appendix defending Josephus' own conduct at the end of the war when he cooperated with the Roman forces.

The paragraphs above present are not my views per se; but they give a balanced view to the one you promote (I would urge readers to go and do their own homework).

But the point I am making is as follows; nobody knows god, everyone put's their faith into something (i.e. put their trust into something they don't know) that is a human trait. However unlike you I don't condemn a person for not believing in what the establishment professes to be the divine truth. I am about live and let live as long as you aint hurting no one, or compelling them by violence, (both mental and physical) to believe in what you want them to believe in. (Judge not lest ye be Judged-I remember when that actually use mean something)

For the record; I am not a product of christian thinking, I have not just recently decided to reject christian doctrine . A Rasta grow me. Hence I do not need to somehow try to blend nonsense. Like they say what has been made crooked cannot be straightened

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.