Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Truly new and very confused  (Read 1674 times)

sistahkaya

• Newbie User
Truly new and very confused
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »

I am so new to the Rastafarism that I don't know where to start.  I've been avoiding the call for quite a while because I thought maybe I was rushing the decision but for about 2 years now I have grown more and more drawn to this faith.  I really became serious when a friend of mine, who practices the faith, spoke words of encouragement to my 9 year old child and turned him completely around.  He gave both me and my son something to really think about.  I spoke more to my friend and was really surprised to find he had once lived his life very violently but after giving his life to Jah was a totally different person.  This alone spoke volumes to me.

I don't know where to start and I don't know if my appearance would hinder me from being accepted.  I don't know what I should read and I don't know much about the faith.  Could someone please help me? Any and all help/info would be greatly appreciated.
So very blessed to be here.

Spliffmeister

• Newbie User
Re: Truly new and very confused
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »

I'm fairly new myself man, i dont think appearance matters myself you could be white,black, dread no dreads end of day it not important to be a rasta and to follow jah is all about the understanding, peace love respect dedication to yourself and other people regardless of ethnicity good or bad.  if they bad you try influence them and encourage them to do good but you need to understand why there bad in first place, influence even if it fails try again, and if they good, well they can only be good if you have an understanding of their ways.

So i think if you have the understanding i'm sure if your good in your heart the rest will surely come

Peace man

joanna

• Senior User
  • Rasta wombman live up
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »

Bless up and welcome.
firstly, appearance makes no difference. i am white and red haired, tho i do have dread, and have lived my faith for a quarter of a century. i will say, however, that you must be careful in the title that you bestow upon yourself, as many Ras will find the title Empress offensive in one so new to the faith... in Ras hierarchy, Empress is generally used to describe a mature woman  who has practised for many years and has great knowledge and experience of RasTafari.. i would not use that title myself, preferring Queen. when i am in my fifties, i may, but certainly not at 40, with only 25 years under my belt.. it is the highest accolade, and not deserved as yet. depending on your age, Princess, Sistah or Queen may be more appropriate for you at present... just dont want you to alienate others while you are so vulnerable. Rastafari speak their mind, and sometimes it isnt what you expect or want to hear!

as regards to study, there are many different opinions of what RasTafari is, and more still as a woman, culturally speaking... men will try to shape you as they see fit, regarding dress, standing and behaviour depending on what kind of man they are. listen to your consciousness first.. if it feels right and proper, it probably is. if it feels restrictive and controlling, run a mile in the other direction!.. or at least stand your ground. Rastafari is about truth,equality, discipline and honesty, not subservience. find other rastawomen, and learn as much as you can from them.

some read the bible, whereas others disregard it. your heart will tell you which way to go.

some books to start you off tho...
the Kebra Negast (book of kings).. the basis of RasTafari and essential reading.
the Holy Piby.
the Old testament.. many of our food and social guidelines are based in Numbers and Leviticus, as well as many other chapters that are relevant in my opinion.
you should read Revelation in the New testament, even if you dont read any other Gospel contained thereof.
any book you can get hold of regarding His Imperial Majesty... his own speeches, rather than biographies, which can be biased.
same goes for Marcus Garvey.
from Babylon to Rastafari.. by Douglas R A Mack.. a first hand account of the RasTafari movement in Jamaica, by one of the original members.

PM me if you have any questions regarding anything discussed here, or if you need to know more about being a wombman in RasTafari, as it is quite different from being a man.

Rastafari Guide,

Queen J x

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 12:00:52 PM by joanna »
Do not be decieved:God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Galatians 5:13:7

There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins.
Ecclesiastes 7:5:20

sistahkaya

• Newbie User
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

I never meant to offend anyone but my real name is Empress so I changed my handle to avoid doing this. 

With that out the way I just wanted to thank you all for all your advice and for a place to begin my studies.  You'll be seeing more of me soon !
So very blessed to be here.

joanna

• Senior User
  • Rasta wombman live up
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:02:01 PM »

Blessed and Divine Love,

sistah,  how fortunate you are to have been given such a beautiful name by your parents. most of us have to find for ourselves the one we think suits us best!
no offence was taken, just some gentle guidance intended. please use the name you were born with..it was given to you for a reason.

looking forward to watching your journey unfold.. it will be a pleasure for real. please keep us updated, and remember to question, question, question. nobody minds, that's what we are here for.

Jah Guidance and Itection,

Queen J x

Do not be decieved:God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Galatians 5:13:7

There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins.
Ecclesiastes 7:5:20

Knowledge

• Veteran User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »

Greetings,

In answer to your query;

Just one piece of advice, seek and you will find!
Many are just searching for the light, many feel that they understand how it goes,
but as you go over the rocks and waterfalls towards your ocean in life, if you look
and listen, you will see and hear!

Many take inspiration from faith, religion or just a way of life!
The one thing I would say is do not think that we are Human Beings on a Spiritual Journey,
because we are not; We are Spiritual Beings on a Human Journey trodding through the oppressive
dimension of vanity and materialism!

Give thanks to the Creator and First Source and the consciousness you seek
which lies within, deep within will begin to manifest

Knowledge

nana935

• Newbie User
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 02:22:54 AM »

blessed love,

joanna,

am also somebody who is seeking.  i was wondering if you could elaborate more on what you mean about being a womban in Rastafari is much different than being a man?

LOVE

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.