Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Passing of flesh  (Read 1955 times)

Ras Troy

• Standard User
Passing of flesh
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »

Greetings Idrens,
I have just heard that my uncle has past flesh this morning. I was told by other bredrens that I will not be allowed to attend the funeral or cannot part take in any of the activities. InI need some guidance with regards to this situation. What is allowed and what is not allowed, if somebody passes flesh?
Blessed love
Jah rastafari

Knowledge

• Veteran User
Re: Passing of flesh
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »

Why did your bredrin tell you that you will not not be allowed to attend?

It is up to you how you decide to proceed! A nuff Ras who go to funeral!
I am not saying that you should be up front inna the church or be joining in a ceremony (that you may not agree with)
but if you feel to go to the funeral to pay your respects, then in the absence of a serious reason expressing why you must not go!

Then go!

If its the church lyrics you don't like, you can always go when dem finish dem service and pay your own respect.

Ras Troy

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:55:04 AM »

Greetings bredren, and thanks for the response. What I have been told is that if I go to pay my respects then I would have to cut my dreads. I do not have a problem with the music or any of the church proceedings. I am still new in the way of rasta and this is why I ask for guidance.

Will it be ok if I as rasta attend my uncles funeral?
Should I have to cut my dreads if I do attend?
Am I allowed to look at his face when the coffin is opened?

blessed love,
Rastafari

Knowledge

• Veteran User
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »

Greetings;

De people who a tell the I about cutting locks etc are quoting the Nazarite Vow as the precedent for cutting off your locks in front of dead people or funeral (Numbers 6).

But my question is; if dem a quote that to you, are they also killing animals for sacrificial purposes as is also expressed within the
same chapter? Probably not, but in the event that they are, I seem to recall that in the book of Isiah; god was supposed to have said, "bring no more vain oblations, incense is an abomination to me"! In other words he was supposed to have done with sacrifice!!!!!

You mention dreads (locks) to me, but if a de bible you are dealing with, then isn't it correct that Paul said Woman should cover their hair and that a man should not have long hair, as its a shame unto him?  I see and know nuff Ras who expect them woman to cover their locks based upon this piece of writing, but they don't cut their hair as also pointed out by Paul.

The point being people take out the things they feel suits them and disregard the things they feel are not pertinent!  (I respect the Bobbo in this aspect ,as they keep their locks covered in much the same way most rasta woman do or are seemingly required to do).

As for looking at his face. Why not, if that's what you want to do? I don't want to sound a funny way, but once the person is dead, then the body is just a husk or carcass, the essence of the person has gone. So the deal is as big as you as an individual wants to make it!

Ras Troy

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »

InI give thanks for the positive answer jah man. InI sat and meditated about this and InI have come to dis conclusion.
As this is da only brother of my mother it would be disrespect unto her not to attend and be by her side in this painfull time. So InI have spoken to I mother and told her that I will be there for her.

InI give thanks unto the most high for the Bredrens comments. InI think dat I should not base I life on the thoughts of People but on the most high,I Selassie I da first.
Sela, more fiya

Knowledge

• Veteran User
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »

Your more than welcome.

The only other thing I would say to de I,  is don't follow a man or men, better for de I to follow livity and try and do good works!!

My sincere condolences to de I still, but remember that your uncle has gone the way of millions before him, him is not the first and he certainly won't be the last! Try and remember the good times and have the time to contemplate the not so good times - that's is a good way to get a balance.

A so life stay!

Hail the Source

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.