Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: (Dread) Locs  (Read 9829 times)

joanna

• Senior User
  • Rasta wombman live up
Re: (Dread) Locs
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »

little bredda..
you are completely missing the point. dread are supposed to be wild..would you try to tame the Lions mane? for many years, my elders fought, died and were shunned for the right to carry dread freely.
 as i white woman, i know it is my duty to uphold what my dread stand for..  dread ive had for years, dread which are different lengths, thickness and various states of knotting, by the way. i'm proud of them.

if you want fashion dread, by all means have them.. but  please dont sully the reputation of the rastaman by attaching yourself to his name if you dont fully understand or want to deal with it, or by pretending that its anything other than a fashion statement or because you quite like the culture.  it's an insult. i suggest you wait a while.. study, pray, then do the same some more, until you are sure its what you want.. either that, or have your locks but be honest about the reasons why.
one love, Queen J
Do not be decieved:God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Galatians 5:13:7

There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins.
Ecclesiastes 7:5:20

0ne L0ve

• Regular User
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »

little bredda..
you are completely missing the point. dread are supposed to be wild..would you try to tame the Lions mane? for many years, my elders fought, died and were shunned for the right to carry dread freely.
 as i white woman, i know it is my duty to uphold what my dread stand for..  dread ive had for years, dread which are different lengths, thickness and various states of knotting, by the way. i'm proud of them.

if you want fashion dread, by all means have them.. but  please dont sully the reputation of the rastaman by attaching yourself to his name if you dont fully understand or want to deal with it, or by pretending that its anything other than a fashion statement or because you quite like the culture.  it's an insult. i suggest you wait a while.. study, pray, then do the same some more, until you are sure its what you want.. either that, or have your locks but be honest about the reasons why.
one love, Queen J

Hmmmm what you mean ?? cuz im white + it aint my culture that i cant have dreads
and that i want em too look nice ive seen alot of black people with dreads and they looked clean and nice
n now you gone tell me its just a fashion thing or their culture i dont kno who you are or who you iz but your not defently gone
Restrict me To have intrests in diffrent culture,s and i neither ment to dissrepsct anyone well yeah for apart i also want to have dreads cuz i realy realy liek da looks off it as example : lil wayne , T pain , Busta rhymes back in the days they also have dreads and they are hip hop artists

You just f*cked it up for me BIG time you know people liek you make me feel not welcome to teh rastafarian culture so yeah i think ill get dreads for a fashion now  =S
Posted on: May 22, 2009, 01:38:22 PM
So tell me Why Im Tryin to learn the patois Trying some I-tal food recipe,s learning about the history about rastafari
and getting dread locks on a natural Way ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09URK7C-X74&feature=related

its how you live that your learning.... Dis song Motivate,s me to get deeper in rastafari
and i only can Admire The culture/life style/religion or what ever you call

joanna

• Senior User
  • Rasta wombman live up
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 12:26:34 AM »

youth..

did you actually READ that properly? did you read where i told you I MYSELF AM WHITE? THAT I HAVE DREAD? where did you get that i said white people cant have dread? cant you read?
 so what if some black people have even dread? some dont.. its called variety. you aint black, sweet.. deal with that fact. youre never going to have dread like a black man unless you have false ones weaved to your european scalp... but hey.. at least that way they'll be instant and you can flash them down the street looking "irie" or like a hip hop artist to your school buddies... till they fall out taking the rest of your hair with them.
 did i say that mine were not clean and nice? no.. i said they werent even. i said they were different lengths and thicknesses.. they are still beautiful. and spotless. go back and read it. ask my husband,(or anyone here who knows me) if my dread are clean and nice.. he'll tell you they are a lot nicer than his, and he is black and has had his dread for 30 years. so much so, that he prefers me not to cover them, because he is so proud of his wifes dread. you are being pedantic and taking what i said out of context, as children so often do.

you dont NEED to speak patois. i dont speak patois...non of my white bredren and sistren do... and dont try and blow that one up by saying i used the word bredren or sistren.. they are titles in MY faith to explain a male or female counterpart.... i dont walk down the street calling out "wha gwarn blood".. its just ridiculous. black people will think youre an idiot... ask them. they'll soon tell ya!
i'm white. i was born in England. i love how i was made.. i love how i was taught to speak. are you black? were you born there?.. were your immediate family (that means your mum and dad) born there? then why would you speak it, if it were not necessary to make yourself understood in another country? are you not proud of the way Jah made you? do you assume to know better than His judgement on where you were born, or the language He saw fit to have you speak? can you not be proud of your own culture, and still love the principles of RasTafari? thats the ESSENCE of RasTafari.. knowing who you are, and where you come from. YOUR roots.. not someone elses.

i have f*****d nothing up for you..grow up. thats just childish. i am not attempting to restrict your learning..quite the opposite, had you bothered to read what i posted with a reasonable head on. i am only telling you how most of us who have lived this faith for as many years ,as some of us here have, (including myself, who has practiced Ras for 26 years now, since i was 15.. and 10 years longer than youve been on this planet) are insulted when people attach themselves without showing the proper respect. most people here though are too polite to tell you, and will just ignore the thread, because they cant be dealing with it.. we have to see and hear so much of it these days...all the ganja smoking bobmarley-ites who think rastafari is all about weed and reggae (which of course is one aspect.. but we deal with truth too, and the truth is that life isnt all flowers and group hugs), that colour has no basis on who you are or what privileges you have, and its all lovely and harmonious, that we spend our days in the sun smoking and being all wise and peaceful.. and dont understand the realities of everyday life, and the struggle of the black man, preferring to just skip over that one and saying, "oh yes, but it's not like that anymore.. rasta is for everyone".. which it is, if you can deal with the reality that it came about to empower the black man and his right to be treated as an equal in this world. just count yourself lucky that Elijah didnt reply.. compared to him I'm a walk in the park! (no disrespect to you, brother Elijah, just pointing out that you say it as you see it, same as i'm doing here).. i'm just telling the truth.

all i am saying is, by all means, learn, look to yourself, study, pray.. ask Jah for guidance  before calling yourself Ras. if you wanna pout, wet your diappie and throw your rattle out of your stroller, cos you don't like it, thats your business..it just proves my point. and makes me laugh. i'm not going to lose any sleep over it... I've bigger fish to fry...like raising a family of sons, some of whom are older than you, who have been raised in Rastafari all their lives..and who wouldnt DARE to speak to an Empress like that. thats the difference between a Prince and a pretender to the throne. respect for your elders.
oh.. and i'm  not going to swear back at you either, being a Lady and a Rastawoman, and raised better than that. there are many alternative words you could have used to express your annoyance. wash your potty mouth out.. you ought to be ashamed.

end of the day, truth hurts. i must have pricked your conscience in order for you to react this way... you know in your heart you're not in it for the right reasons.
i didnt say dont do it.. i said be honest in your reasoning. seek, learn, take your time, pay your dues... like the rest of us have to. you cant just wake up and decide to adopt something because it looks cool from the outside.
have you any clue as to what Ras go through every day? do you know how many people have been murdered for Rastafari? how we are shunned.. how many of us are falsely committed to psychiatric hospitals as having mental illness for our ideals every year? how hard it is to find a job, even in this day? how you cant walk down the road, even as a woman, without suspicious eyes following you? how we cant perform our sacraments or grow our medicine without risk of imprisonment? how our children are taken from us by the "authorities" for our beliefs? you have no idea. you just see the outside appearance. for sure.. admire it. theres plenty to be proud of.. thats why i defend my faith so vocally. but also see that you must EARN the title of Ras.

this might seem really harsh to you now, but in the end, if this is really the path you want to tread, youre going to thank me for it,because the trod of the rastaman is a hard one, and youre going to hear much worse than this. all ive done is prepare you for whats to come. and when youre all grown and a wise old grey haired dreadlocks with your little natty grandchildren round you, you'll know that when that stroppy cow tore a strip off you when you were a kid, she knew what she was talking about, and you'll be able to smile about it.

0ne L0ve

• Regular User
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 01:38:20 AM »

youth..

did you actually READ that properly? did you read where i told you I MYSELF AM WHITE? THAT I HAVE DREAD? where did you get that i said white people cant have dread? cant you read?
 so what if some black people have even dread? some dont.. its called variety. you aint black, sweet.. deal with that fact. youre never going to have dread like a black man unless you have false ones weaved to your european scalp... but hey.. at least that way they'll be instant and you can flash them down the street looking "irie" or like a hip hop artist to your school buddies... till they fall out taking the rest of your hair with them.
 did i say that mine were not clean and nice? no.. i said they werent even. i said they were different lengths and thicknesses.. they are still beautiful. and spotless. go back and read it. ask my husband,(or anyone here who knows me) if my dread are clean and nice.. he'll tell you they are a lot nicer than his, and he is black and has had his dread for 30 years. so much so, that he prefers me not to cover them, because he is so proud of his wifes dread. you are being pedantic and taking what i said out of context, as children so often do.

you dont NEED to speak patois. i dont speak patois...non of my white bredren and sistren do... and dont try and blow that one up by saying i used the word bredren or sistren.. they are titles in MY faith to explain a male or female counterpart.... i dont walk down the street calling out "wha gwarn blood".. its just ridiculous. black people will think youre an idiot... ask them. they'll soon tell ya!
i'm white. i was born in England. i love how i was made.. i love how i was taught to speak. are you black? were you born there?.. were your immediate family (that means your mum and dad) born there? then why would you speak it, if it were not necessary to make yourself understood in another country? are you not proud of the way Jah made you? do you assume to know better than His judgement on where you were born, or the language He saw fit to have you speak? can you not be proud of your own culture, and still love the principles of RasTafari? thats the ESSENCE of RasTafari.. knowing who you are, and where you come from. YOUR roots.. not someone elses.

i have f*****d nothing up for you..grow up. thats just childish. i am not attempting to restrict your learning..quite the opposite, had you bothered to read what i posted with a reasonable head on. i am only telling you how most of us who have lived this faith for as many years ,as some of us here have, (including myself, who has practiced Ras for 26 years now, since i was 15.. and 10 years longer than youve been on this planet) are insulted when people attach themselves without showing the proper respect. most people here though are too polite to tell you, and will just ignore the thread, because they cant be dealing with it.. we have to see and hear so much of it these days...all the ganja smoking bobmarley-ites who think rastafari is all about weed and reggae (which of course is one aspect.. but we deal with truth too, and the truth is that life isnt all flowers and group hugs), that colour has no basis on who you are or what privileges you have, and its all lovely and harmonious, that we spend our days in the sun smoking and being all wise and peaceful.. and dont understand the realities of everyday life, and the struggle of the black man, preferring to just skip over that one and saying, "oh yes, but it's not like that anymore.. rasta is for everyone".. which it is, if you can deal with the reality that it came about to empower the black man and his right to be treated as an equal in this world. just count yourself lucky that Elijah didnt reply.. compared to him I'm a walk in the park! (no disrespect to you, brother Elijah, just pointing out that you say it as you see it, same as i'm doing here).. i'm just telling the truth.

all i am saying is, by all means, learn, look to yourself, study, pray.. ask Jah for guidance  before calling yourself Ras. if you wanna pout, wet your diappie and throw your rattle out of your stroller, cos you don't like it, thats your business..it just proves my point. and makes me laugh. i'm not going to lose any sleep over it... I've bigger fish to fry...like raising a family of sons, some of whom are older than you, w ho have been raised in Rastafari all their lives..and who wouldnt DARE to speak to an Empress like that. thats the difference between a Prince and a pretender to the throne. respect for your elders.
oh.. and i'm  not going to swear back at you either, being a Lady and a Rastawoman, and raised better than that. there are many alternative words you could have used to express your annoyance. wash your potty mouth out.. you ought to be ashamed.

end of the day, truth hurts. i must have pricked your conscience in order for you to react this way... you know in your heart you're not in it for the right reasons.
i didnt say dont do it.. i said be honest in your reasoning. seek, learn, take your time, pay your dues... like the rest of us have to. you cant just wake up and decide to adopt something because it looks cool from the outside.
have you any clue as to what Ras go through every day? do you know how many people have been murdered for Rastafari? how we are shunned.. how many of us are falsely committed to psychiatric hospitals as having mental illness for our ideals every year? how hard it is to find a job, even in this day? how you cant walk down the road, even as a woman, without suspicious eyes following you? how we cant perform our sacraments or grow our medicine without risk of imprisonment? how our children are taken from us by the "authorities" for our beliefs? you have no idea. you just see the outside appearance. for sure.. admire it. theres plenty to be proud of.. thats why i defend my faith so vocally. but also see that you must EARN the title of Ras.

this might seem really harsh to you now, but in the end, if this is really the path you want to tread, youre going to thank me for it,because the trod of the rastaman is a hard one, and youre going to hear much worse than this. all ive done is prepare you for whats to come. and when youre all grown and a wise old grey haired dreadlocks with your little natty grandchildren round you, you'll know that when that stroppy cow tore a strip off you when you were a kid, she knew what she was talking about, and you'll be able to smile about it.

lmfao dat took you over 8 hours to type??? Great and dat just to call me a Young white stupid kid taht dident got raised well
and i just started to learn about rastafari a month ago did i ever say i called my self a rasta NO Uuugh you just sound childisch to me
n i dont need yo kno your bullsh*t bout your family n guez what i dont give a f*ck no more on da real you just look stupid to me Bitching to peeps like me from da age of 16 telling em what to do or not This my life and no i dont go tnothing to be proud of of my own race or culture No sir i dont and i neither dont care no more i get da part ill have no dreads n ill back off form da rastafaria culture i go tda message and befo you call me a racist or sumething my stepgrandfather is from cabe verde =) and i got friends from ghana senegal congo guinea nigeria and more so yeah too bad for you im sure you hoped to use this to me to break me more off but imsrry

and if i ever dissrespected a rasta it wasent my meaning to it

msgal

• Veteran User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 03:58:15 AM »

Ok You are not getting what Joanna is trying to tell you
and have been disrespectful to her rather than learn from
this learned woman.
I'll give it a shot here.
A white person learning about rasta is not about tranforming
yourself into a jamaican.
Patios is a jamaican language it is not a universal rasta language.
Jamaicans speak patios whether they are rasta or not
I see you talking about the dreads you want
I don't see a lot of understanding of why to have dreads.
You worry about them being messy.
I'm sure you can find a pic of Bob Marleys dreads.
They were not neat. They were natural.
Natural being a very important concept here.
If your hair has to be forced to dread don't do it.
Even more important, before you concider anything like dreading
your hair you have to learn far more than you now know about rasta
How can you make a statement about something you don't
really understand? I strongly suggest you find a bit more humility
in your attitude. listen when an elder trys to instruct you.
You really do have much to learn.

bless
Jah bless. I and I love you all.

0ne L0ve

• Regular User
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »

Ok You are not getting what Joanna is trying to tell you
and have been disrespectful to her rather than learn from
this learned woman.
I'll give it a shot here.
A white person learning about rasta is not about tranforming
yourself into a jamaican.
Patios is a jamaican language it is not a universal rasta language.
Jamaicans speak patios whether they are rasta or not
I see you talking about the dreads you want
I don't see a lot of understanding of why to have dreads.
You worry about them being messy.
I'm sure you can find a pic of Bob Marleys dreads.
They were not neat. They were natural.
Natural being a very important concept here.
If your hair has to be forced to dread don't do it.
Even more important, before you concider anything like dreading
your hair you have to learn far more than you now know about rasta
How can you make a statement about something you don't
really understand? I strongly suggest you find a bit more humility
in your attitude. listen when an elder trys to instruct you.
You really do have much to learn.

bless

Well Much Love to you Girl For explaining me in and easy resspectfull and clear way
if Joanna would explain me liek you did i would have Understand it But she whas Str8 Dissing me
and im not cool with that if you wanna act bitchy n break me off go ahead but also carry the things that will come after it

like i said im still learning about this culture so give me a break =S and what so ever it seems that im not welcome so dont worry
ill brush out my hair n dont interfare no more with this  :(  i aint tryin to be childisch or stupid or stuborn but if you hear dis sh*t everyday you gone get tired off it real quick so

George

• Senior User
  • "...fighting against isms and skisms..."
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »

Bob Marleys locks werent perfect.

NAtty hair is the idea maaan, not neat and tidyness

:)

one love

peace :)
"A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots" - Marcus Garvey

joanna

• Senior User
  • Rasta wombman live up
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »

thankyou sis, for explaining to the youth what i was trying to say in the first place.
little brother, i was not trying to bad mouth you, i was telling you how it is when you are starting out, and attempting to help you understand where you were going wrong. you have a lot of anger.. it is misplaced. there was no call to swear and insult just because you didnt like what you were being told. i see you are not from the UK.. maybe because you dont understand how the british phrase their sentences, it seemed harder on you than it was intended.but you cant tell someones tone of voice from the printed word, so misunderstanding do occur sometimes, but i'm not going to apologise  for the way i write.. oh, and it took me about 20 minutes actually. not that it matters.

like i said im still learning about this culture so give me a break =S and what so ever it seems that im not welcome so dont worry
ill brush out my hair n dont interfare no more with this  Sad  i aint tryin to be childisch or stupid or stuborn but if you hear dis sh*t everyday you gone get tired off it real quick

you just proved my point. the first time you receive what you see as a negative reaction, you go mental and decide its not for you. rasta is not supposed to be easy.. nothing worth having ever is.
i started out knowing nothing, at the age of 14. it was difficult for sure, and as a WHITE person, i came across negativity too, plenty of it.it was frightening, but i did not insult the people trying to give me the benefit of their experience. i humbled myself, stuck with it, and studied till the time was right for me at age 17 to dread my hair.

look at what you posted...
Uuugh you just sound childisch to me
n i dont need yo kno your bullsh*t bout your family n guez what i dont give a f*ck no more on da real you just look stupid to me Bitching to peeps like me from da age of 16 telling em what to do or not This my life

if any of my children spoke to an adult in that way, they'd have got a good slap.
 now take a look at this..

and if i ever dissrespected a rasta it wasent my meaning to it

well thats not true, is it? you just spent a good few minutes ranting, disrespecting and insulting a rasta,( in very bad grammar) who was trying to HELP you, and if thats the way you want to behave and think it's acceptable, then i feel sorry for you. good luck living a peaceful and productive life with THAT attitude.
as for your opinion, i only care about those who actually have some meaning to me. you are just a spoilt nasty little boy... why would i care what you think of me?

and with that, i rest my case.

0ne L0ve

• Regular User
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »

Bob Marleys locks werent perfect.

NAtty hair is the idea maaan, not neat and tidyness

:)

one love

peace :)

Aight im Getting The point now  ;)

joanna

• Senior User
  • Rasta wombman live up
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »

and the penny drops!  ::)

Amen to that!

0ne L0ve

• Regular User
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »

By da way i dont got no religion neither =/ but i think rastafari doesent Matter mutch to religion its more a way off a living
and this 1 going to joanna.....

The Rastafari wear locks as an expression of inner spirituality and to emphasize their identity. Their religion states that they must remain "whole" (hence why Rastafari Bob Marley refused to have his cancerous toe removed which could have saved his life). Following Haile Selassie, cutting dreads is highly prohibited in the Rasta culture. Due to this, dreads knot naturally because their hair is not to be tampered with.

Another interpretation among the Rastafari is that "dread" refers to the fear that dreadlocked Mau Mau warriors inspired among the colonial British.[citation needed] The Mau Mau, a largely ethnic Kikuyu rebel group in Kenya fighting to overthrow their colonial British oppressors from 19521960, hid for many years in the forests, during which time their hair grew into long locks. The images of their rebellion, then broadcast around the world, are said to have inspired Jamaican Rastafari to wear locks.[7]

Dreadlocks on a Rasta's head are symbolic of the Lion of Judah which is sometimes centered on the Ethiopian Flag. Rastas hold that Selassie is a direct descendant or reincarnated form of Christ. Rasta's also believe African people are the descendants of the Israelites.Tribe of Judah Through the lineage of Kings of Israel David and Solomon, and that he is also the Lion of Judah mentioned in the Book of Revelation.

(Source): wikipedia

i Dont know the Reason why i want locks but sumething inside me says that i want this
and learning patois or anything with the culture is sumething that i wanna learn or expreience
i also admire the way of living and ll that i just cant explain it  ???

And Joanna ImSrry that i whas rude/dissrespectfull but i felt you whas attacking me and trying to talk me down cuz im a NewB to this

Knowledge

• Veteran User
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »

One Love you should listen to Joanne and Ms Gal -cah dem a show you a ting.

Wahine

• Veteran User
  • Rasta man live up
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 01:21:33 AM »

Patience and overstanding One Love.
All tings in life take time. Don't rush in. Listen and learn. There are many here who will help you on your trod.
Just remember to be raspectful as others are only trying to help here as i see it.
This is a learned journey and a long one at that where you will need support from those who have been where you are now.
The reason you were shown disraspect is because you gave it first. But lets move on from there.
Blessings on ya journey. May it be an enlightening one for you.

0ne L0ve

• Regular User
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 02:20:46 AM »

Patience and overstanding One Love.
All tings in life take time. Don't rush in. Listen and learn. There are many here who will help you on your trod.
Just remember to be raspectful as others are only trying to help here as i see it.
This is a learned journey and a long one at that where you will need support from those who have been where you are now.
The reason you were shown disraspect is because you gave it first. But lets move on from there.
Blessings on ya journey. May it be an enlightening one for you.

Thx for Motivating me  ;D and talking bout a journey.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09URK7C-X74&feature=related

joanna

• Senior User
  • Rasta wombman live up
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »

One love.. i would NEVER do that.. if you go on my profile, and you look on my posts, you will see that i have always tried to help, and have defended the new members. sometimes i think the way i write, because its quite formal, can be off putting.. but its not intended. i cant help the way i was educated!
it took courage to apologise, and i respect you for that. its not easy to admit when you've made a mistake, especially when you are young and have fire in your belly.

as for the reason why you cant explain why you feel.. there is no reason. if you feel it, you just do. i know you want to throw yourself headfirst into it, we all do when we feel it for the first time, but it does take time and a lot of hard work, and you must be prepared to struggle. babylon doesnt want you to know the truth and will try its hardest to turn you away from it.

well done on the studying. its a good start. go on the rasta school thread, theres lot of info there.. also the library should have some books. arm yourself with a bible, the holy piby, and the kebra negast.. and any books on His Imperial Majesty you can find. Amazon and One drop books both have a good selection.

Jah bless you on your journey.. remember to take it one step at a time!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.