Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: My Locks  (Read 2810 times)

marshedmellow

• Newbie User
My Locks
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »

So, to fill you in, I got into the Rasta faith a while ago and made the decision to get locks and I started the natural way because I know it is the true Rasta way to get locks but I girlfriend really wanted to backcomb I hair and I love her so I letting her but I starting to wonder if I locks will still count as Rasta too other Rasta but on the other hand why does it really matter if I have Jah in I heart.

Basically, are I locks still Rasta? I still see them as a spiritual journey but are they still considered Rasta?

Northlion

• Standard User
Re: My Locks
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:52:01 AM »

Quote from: marshedmellow link=topic=7553. msg75941#msg75941 date=1274733900
So, to fill you in, I got into the Rasta faith a while ago and made the decision to get locks and I started the natural way because I know it is the true Rasta way to get locks but I girlfriend really wanted to backcomb I hair and I love her so I letting her but I starting to wonder if I locks will still count as Rasta too other Rasta but on the other hand why does it really matter if I have Jah in I heart. 

Basically, are I locks still Rasta? I still see them as a spiritual journey but are they still considered Rasta?

Greetings in the name of the most high almighty king Selassie I!

InI understand your question well because InI too wondered about this at a time.

First off: "Ya dun haffi dread fe be rasta seen?"
That which you refer to as rasta comes from ones soul and heart and no dreadlocks are required :)

I do realize that the above does not answer your question but i hope this will;
The Nazarite Vow says that no blade should cut the hair upon ones head, therefore i would say backcombing would in no way "defile" your locks.

rootsridge

• Senior User
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »

I know and get told all the time, you dont haffi dread to be rasta,

but i think u have to have a strong reason why not,
after all the locks are a "rasta identity" and a symbol of faith and pride and revolution

ONLINE REGGAE DJ
http://www.ukreggaeguide.co.uk/radio/

i am doing a show every saturday from 8pm (GMT)
so please tune in and I will play I some reggae music!!

Northlion

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 01:48:25 AM »

I know and get told all the time, you dont haffi dread to be rasta,

but i think u have to have a strong reason why not,
after all the locks are a "rasta identity" and a symbol of faith and pride and revolution

You are absolutely right. Ones locks are ones crown. But I think that I might have an explanation why some do not wear their hair locked.
I trust you are familiar with the nazarite Vow. I think that the phrase: you dont haffi dread to be rasta means that you do not have to swear the vow to be rasta, even though at Rastafari baptism event the vow is often sworn at the very beginning.

Selah

Racca

• New User
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:20:16 PM »

From what I think, backcombing should be fine, its still somewhat natural in a way because it will take time anyways.
Although when I brought up me wanting to get dreadlocks soon to help express my beliefs.  I was told that natural dreadlocks aren't rasta dreads, because supposedly rasta dreadlocks are much more complicated from what I heard from somebody, but that person could be wrong that told me about that.
But I do plan on having natural dreadlocks soon myself. . . just gotta grow my hair out more lol

Stefano

• Newbie User
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »

Natural locks is certainly the mot natural method, using back coming or twisting I'm not sure would disqualify your faith but if you want to have natural dreads that's the way(natural), I think the vow of the nazarite entitles you to shave of your hair and regrow, but I also think the vow means to have natural dreads. 

Speedy Usher

• Regular User
  • HOLY EMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI!!!!!!
    • GanjaSpeed RevolutionBreeze Bling-Blaoh
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 11:39:47 PM »

Greetings in de name of The Prohet, Priest and King. Mi start mi locks wid individual braids and jus let dem grow, seen. I mean is it wrong to maintain yur locks? Becah mi twist dem wid gel occasionally fi keep dem healthy. Mi know people weh nuh tek care ah dem locks and dem fall out. Perfect example, one ah mi uncle dem in Jamaica lose all him locks due to lack of maintenance. Yu haffi maintain dem if yu waan dem fi grow long, seen.
Speedy Bling-Blaoh
Absitively Posolutely Dread For Eternity

surfmon_I

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:40:39 AM »

Greetings I,
  Would ask if there is vanity involved in the wilfull manipulation of a Natural Progression.

Ruby

• Newbie User
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »

Greeting brothers n sisters.
I have only been reading n arming meself of Ras Tafari for the past few months, so I am not sure.  In me mind, natural is what the locks are all about-as well as setting dread into ini oppressors. 
I have thrown away me brush and have allowed me hair to do what it wnats, I dont wash it with chemicals, but an all natural soap bar.  The only problem is that i have caucasion hair and obviously it wants to tangle in a mahsive knot at the bak rather than forming locks, have I gone about this the wrong way? Should I get em dun properly? But wat way is proper for people with plae people hair.  I want locks, but naturally so. 

all guidance is welcomed.
bless
Ruby

Nazarite I

• Senior User
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »

Greetings. 

Iman would caution the I who started this Reasoning with Iman own story on this matter.

Iman am a Rasta who take I Nazarite vow seriously.  No chemical thing can touch I and I locks and I Iman cover them whenever Iman forward to a place where they might be contaminated.  As far as Iman am concerned, natty is the only way foward with the Nazarite vow.  But in I past Iman was a vanity dread (fire!) with little short locks that Iman formed with back-combing and bee's wax.

Now when Iman came to sight Rastafari, Iman was faced with the problem of I locks.  The vanity dreads that Iman had caused turmoil in I for a long time and Iman considered shaving I head and beginning anew.  But Iman didn't.  Iman checked I Nazarite vow and saw the defilement the razor would bring.  Iman may have been a vanity dread but Iman was now trodding Rastafari path.  So I took all the chemical things out of I locks.  The scented wax and the commercial shampoo and the 'dread butter'.  Now, when Iman sight I locks in the mirror, Iman see long, healthy, natty locks.  Where the vanity locks were at the ends there is nothing but normal hair.  Nothing remains of them.

Now if it were up to Iman, and I was in the position of the I where I had the chance to start over, Iman would go natty without question.  Still it is the I's decision.  Just be sure ask the Iself whether the I is doing it for vanity's sake or the I's sake.  Because there is no room for vanity in I and I Rastafari Livity.

Blessed love and guidence.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.