Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Importance of Prayer  (Read 2064 times)

donaldjerry

• Newbie User
Importance of Prayer
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:07:53 PM »

Getting a job is useful.  it's important.  It's necessary.  It's good.  Same with passing college classes.  Another example (a little different): getting married is good, and we really want it.  Companionship is really sought after, it's helpful, it's just a good thing. So. . . I've been trying to compile a list of reasons why it's, say, useful, helpful, beneficial, important, necessary, needed, etc.  to pray (amongst other things).  I do youth and college ministry, and when we make to much of spiritual disciplines, people think we're being pharisees- and maybe we are, but I'm trying to stop, which is why I'm asking for advice here.  Anyway. . . Here's some things I came up with. - Trains you to think only about what's most important in life. - Trains you to focus your love on God alone. - Gets your mind of less important things- Trains your mind to think nonsinfully/ unsinful. - Helps you formulate clear and concise thoughts of God and for God. - Prayer should act as a filter- what are things you pray about most often with the most resolve in all seriousness without any breach of conscience: those are probably the most important things in life. But even these answers probably seem to "churchy", to much like Sunday School answers, for youth and college kids.  And I'm missing the relationship aspect- i don't really know how to say it apart from the whole marriage analogy.  And of course, if you're of my persuasion and think prayer really does change things, then you've got a REAL conundrum, because then you've got the whole "so many prayers [seem to] go unanswered". What I want is for people to not just see prayer as a good thing, or as a necessary means- I want them to see it as actually important enough that they can't go a day without doing it, like eating.  Or a moment without doing it, like breathing.  College kids wouldn't miss a test, or an important job interview, or call off a date at the last minute with a "very important someone".  It's even harder to make parallels for youth, because to them, so many things are just not important, not necessary. To make a long story short, how can I show prayer to be (for lack of a better phrase) of infinite importance? Maybe some of you guys could help me word my thoughts better as well.

hxxp: www. thekjvbibleonline. com
Christian blog

jenierga13

• Newbie User
Re: Importance of Prayer
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 03:01:28 AM »

Being married makes a more benefits, and is really necessary for those people who want to get married.  But, it is true that prayer must be recognize all the time.  I believe it is more necessary and is important to pray.

blazekief91

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:07:32 PM »

Props for the post. In my opinion, prayer is important to keep a strong connection with Jah and ask for forgiveness of sins that may have been diggin away at your head with guilt. Prayer gives you a good feeling when you're finished, as if you're rejuvenated and no longer on you're own in this world. It gives me a strong drive to accomplish my goals and gives me a better sense of confidence. Although you need only ask to receive, you can't pray for a flying purple elephant that craps cinnamon rolls and expect it to be granted. Personal effort must be contributed equally. As for marriage, it's totally necessary, as I'm going to be married w/ a kid soon myself (praise Jah). I feel like the goverment has way too much control over it. It's just as much a government contract as a religious sacrament, from a critical perspective.

Peace_Loving

• Regular User
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:15 PM »

Prayer is a way of meditation on holy things.  Positive vibrations sent out to loved ones.  It is expressing thanks for the blessings of life... of looking for blessings in all things whether perceived good or bad.  It is a way to uplift our conscience to be better in all ways.

natty threads

• Senior User
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 10:01:50 PM »

Sometimes I am afraid to pray for some things.
They seem too small, or too selfish.

Yah wants our confidence and our Love.

I try to remember to always PRAISE Him in my thoughts, all of the time, but I am not always confident to ASK for things.

Bless up.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.