Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: What was your path to Rasta?  (Read 1784 times)

akgrown25

• Standard User
What was your path to Rasta?
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:54:51 AM »

Greetings all!
   I posted this on the newby forum but think the questions are better suited here.  I am new to the forum and have a lot of questions if you could see fit to trouble yourself with responding.   I am not a Rasta  but am curious about the path that lead you here.   Are you a Rasta? If so, what drew you to the movement, or way of life? I guess another way to ask this is how did you first hear about Rastafari? Was it through music, researching the issue on your own, or was it because of someone you met?
  Peace to all and thank you.

blazekief91

• Standard User
Re: What was your path to Rasta?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »

I feel that it's safe to say that I'm a disciple of Ras Tafari. I was raised Catholic and those roots still have some affect on my practice to this day. I was introduced to Rasta through my own personal study of Yeshua. I was reading about all the shocking claims of the second coming of the messiah and I stumbled upon the bio of H.I.M. and was introduced to the evidence of his divinity. At first, I was highly skeptical, due to the scripture's warning of false messiahs. After more thorough reasearch, my views sided more favorably with Rasta. After some reasoning and prayer, I came to the conclusion that His Majesty was sent to mankind by Jah. Aside from the evidence, I was also lured into Rasta by the concepts of peace and acceptance, which were so often absent from my conservative upbringing. Rasta has helped me become a more peace, righteous, honest, and appreciative man.

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 01:14:56 AM »

Thanks for sharing that blazekief91. 
You said that you were introduced to evidence of the divinity of H. I. M.  While I know there are some Rastas who don't believe the reports of Selassie I's death, I have read that since the passing of H. I. M's body in 1975 there has been a split in belief as to just how Selassie I is divine.  What I mean is that I have read that some believe that He is the actual Christ in the second coming that was predicted in scripture, while others believe that Selassie I was a man that was a sort of carrier of the divine spirit of Christ, not the actual Christ Himself.  What are your thoughts on this?

blazekief91

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:09:22 PM »

I feel that His Majesty was Christ, thus Jah, but was sent here, this time, to show that his mortality and divinity were never separate. Also, he was showing us that if he can be born of natural causes like the rest of us and still live a life without sin, so can we. It was a 2nd Coming in order to prepare us for what's to come, by showing us that we're all capable of living a Christ-like life. He also warned us of Babylon (Goliath) and how Ethiopia and Jah's righteous followers (David) will triumph in the end, just like David did over Goliath in the OT. Praise Jah. As for his "death".. Jah never die. It was either a hoax or if his bodily form did indeed die out, it wouldn't be much different than the crucifixion, now would it? Yeshua is still alive and kickin. Just this time, he lived a life like the rest of us in order to to show us that we need not be divine to live righteously. Jah would like to see as many of us get saved in the end as possible, and H.I.M. showed us that it's not all that difficult.

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »

Thanks for the explanation, I see what you are saying. Do you mind if I ask where you first found this information about H.I.M? I guess why I am asking is that I have been told on this forum that Rastafari is not a religion. Instead it is a way of life. I see that point, but it seems as though you see it as a religion and others don't. Was I being corrected in saying it is a religion because it is a way of life with religious undertones, that it is a way of life that began as a religion but has grown into a lifestyle choice, or that it is one of those things to one person but different to another person?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:35:24 PM by akgrown25 »

surfmon_I

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:42:45 AM »

It would help to look at the root of the word "religion"  Religio ~ to bind, connect.
  I view of this word has changed over the years, at fist it was stated that religion holds back and binds, obscures the connection between man and God due to mans interpretation.  Today, I feel very much the same, because it the essence of Jah that dwells withIn us, and there is where the I~nnection should be made.
   That does not go to say that there is no benefit from congregation for the purpose of giving Thanks and Praise with in a system of structure among like minded participants.
  It is still viewed as word that has been mired by the corruptible nature of man kind and does not really begin to explain the sacred bond of which we share.

Peace_Loving

• Regular User
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »

Greetings,

For me, I had been listening to Bob Marley and Ziggy loving their music.  My husband and I began to look more into visiting Jamaica.  So we learned as much as possible of the history and culture of Jamaica which led us to learn of Rasta.  We loved Jamaica and visiting with Rasta there and learning from them.  I have a very strict Christian background and see that they are closely the same principles, although, I feel Rasta rings more true to the heart.  I'm still very new at the precepts of Rasta and still learning.

As far as the question of Rasta being a religion or way of life, I believe it is a way of life.  Labeling it as a religion causing connotations to be associated to it, with rules and regulations/dogmas as most religions have.
Rasta is not filled with dogma.

Bless!
Posted on: October 06, 2010, 07:43:19 AM
Surfmon, I agree!

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:38:15 PM »

I see your point and agree surfmon_I. The term religion has many connotations of subservience to a power structure, that being the church. From what I have read, Rastas believe that you come to an understanding of Jah in your own way, not through a list of rules and dogma, as Peace_Loving stated.

And thank you for helping me to see how you came to know of Selassie I, Peace_Loving. I am really interested in how the message of Rastafari has spread across the world and been accepted by so many from such different backgrounds. I suppose that is why I began this line of questioning. I hope to hear from more people about how they first learned of Garvey's teachings and where they first heard the name Haile Selassie.
You say that for you, Rasta rings more true to the heart. In what way does it speak to you that Christianity didn't?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:40:29 PM by akgrown25 »

Peace_Loving

• Regular User
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 10:45:06 AM »

One way is that Christianity is judgmental and unaccepting of other spiritual paths.  I believe Rastas look at everyone as trodding their own journey through life and everyone is at different levels spiritually.  Many Christians that I know are very hypocritical and pointing the finger of judgment at others if they aren't at their level.  Rasta seems so much more loving and accepting, peaceful, to me.

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »

I think that is great, Peace_Loving, that you decided to go to Jamaica to have reasonings with Rastas there. Did you get to meet with any Elders?

Peace_Loving

• Regular User
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »

Actually, we had been reading a book called "Rasta Heart" by Robert Roskind and he talks of some of the rastas he had met while in Jamaica.  We were driving the north coast our first trip there and stopped at a small stand that had rasta colors blazing on the side.  We got to talking with the men there and mentioned the book and they perked up..it was some of the same people mentioned in the book.  He brought out his Bible and Holy Pibly and we talked for quite some time.  We had a wonderful discussion.  I actually spoke with the author before we left for Jamaica.  I'd emailed him on some information and he called me back to talk about it.

We've met a few over the years but not as many reasoning discussions as we would have liked to have.

Bless!

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.