Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Homosexuals and Rastafari  (Read 6273 times)

akgrown25

• Standard User
Homosexuals and Rastafari
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »

I am confused and seek guidance.
In past posts the question had been asked if a white person can be a Rasta (I saw that that thread ran for four years) and the overwhelming response was that anyone can be a Rasta. If that is so, then can a homosexual be a Rasta too?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:26:06 AM by akgrown25 »

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
    • Rasta Nick's website & forum
Re: Homosexuals and Rastafari
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »

If you are Rasta you would not be homosexual, yet if you were homosexual you might 'claim' to be a Rasta
Even the longest journey starts with one step

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »

I see what you are saying. This is where the confusion comes from. On other posts the question was asked who has the right to say if someone is or is not a Rasta. That question was never answered which makes me wonder just how many people who 'claim' to be Rasta really are. I have been told that there are many paths to Jah which to me sounds like an anything goes sort of attitude. So if someone claims to be Rasta, who is to say they are not? Who has a right to that word and the belief system attached to it?

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »

I am sure there are many who claim to be Rasta and are not, also I am sure that there are many who do not claim to be Rasta but are!!

So if someone claims to be Rasta, who is to say they are not?
Jah knows!

Humans make judgments all day long, or decisions based upon their experiences. It is not really possible to judge another mans life since you have not had all his experiences to overstand exactly why he is who he is. So if a homosexual claims to be Rasta it is not my job to say that he is not. However, he would not be Rasta in my eyes. Yet I would not feel the need to persecute or discredit him since there are many more uplifting ways for me to spend I time.

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »

Thank you for the insight, Rasta Nick. You are helping me to see more clearly.

You say that a homosexual would not be a Rasta in your eyes. May I ask why? As I mentioned, some on this site have said that all it takes to be a Rasta is a belief in Jah and the divinity of Selassie I. If that is the case then anyone who holds these beliefs is a Rasta, regardless of their skin color, sexual orientation, nationality, or any other factor.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:12:59 PM by akgrown25 »

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »

You say that a homosexual would not be a Rasta in your eyes. May I ask why?
Certainly. Despite our differences we are all basically alike and anything that is of benefit to humankind can be applied globally. If you apply homosexuality globally humankind becomes extinct fairly rapidly!

surfmon_I

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 01:07:44 PM »

Stated simply and clearly, asked respectfully, thats nice to see.  No need to get grumpy.
  This question along with another are so commonly asked, i rarely like to get into the mix, but with such openess, I would like to respectfully add that...

When we look at a culture and feel a drawing near to it, we must ask ourselves why.  If we are honest with ourselves we may already know this answer.  Inevitably, we are drawn by the many things that resonate within us and look to manipulate the things that dont.
  Rastafari are a Root culture and withIn this culture we see Balance. In many cases balance require natural symmetry.  At a root level, As rasta Nick pointed out, Life is perpetuated by the interaction of natural opposites which does not lead to a homogenious population.  It has noting to do with the issue of love, it is a question of Nature among Rastafari and the Balance thereIn.

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:55:37 AM »

I agree surfmon_I, I don't see the need for anyone to get grumpy. The asking of questions should be about a genuine quest for answers and being open to the answers you get, regardless of whether you agree 100% or not. Even if you disagree with someone, trying to see their point of view leads to a more harmonious world. Everyone has something to teach.

I think I know which question you are referring to when you say that another of my questions is commonly asked and I hope you will note that I also saw this question as being asked many times. I apologize again for not reading through past posts before posting it, and thank you for your patience.

I used to DJ a roots reggae show on a local radio station and have always been fascinated with the history and culture of the Rastafari movement. This lead me to begin reading and now that I am a graduate student, I decided to study more about the movement. I am currently taking a class on World Englishes and am doing a project that is studying the spread of Rastafari across the globe. Despite the fact that I have studied Rastafari for many years, I still have a lot to learn and I figured who better to learn from than people who identify as being Rastas. Also, besides my scholastic interest in Rastafari, I am personally interested. I know that there is some resistance to academia in some parts of Rasta culture but many of you on this forum seem open to discussing issues to try and help the unsure to see.

I hope this information does not dampen your responses to my very sincere questions. As I mentioned, my questions are for many reasons, personal and otherwise. From the personal standpoint I consider them to be a form of reasoning. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I hope you see it this way too.

Rasta Nick, I reread your comment about people who say they are not Rasta but in fact are. Do you mean to say that some people are Rastas but don't know it, or are you saying that some people don't admit to being Rasta but are regardless? This is interesting to me because if you are saying that some people are Rastas but don't realize it, what is it that makes them a Rasta?

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:46:35 AM »

Rasta Nick, I reread your comment about people who say they are not Rasta but in fact are. Do you mean to say that some people are Rastas but don't know it,
yes :)

if you are saying that some people are Rastas but don't realize it, what is it that makes them a Rasta?
Their attitude to their time on this planet and the time of others :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:13:21 PM by Rasta Nick »

benjammin

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:46 PM »

Hi,

round at my babylon school in england people are havin a go at me because i say that its not natural and as I agree with Rasta nick the population would fall rapidly.  I say to my friends that Iman see It as unatural and that just because of this it does not make me racist or homopobic So. . .  After been called homophobic Iman thought and thought. . . 

So i come to school the next day and Iman say to dem hey look gay,Batty, whatever you wanna call it, is like a way of life coz of all the strange stuff like talking weirdly and then getting in touch with there feminine side or watever babylon call Dem and just because of me not agreeing with them it nuff make I racist. . . .  So i say rastafari is a way of life, but you don't believe it so then it doesnt make you racist. . .  But them say batty not a choice its how you are?!  Can someone help me Coz all of dem baldheads and babylon who dont understand where Iman is coming from.  Views please?  :-[

Thanks and Blessings ;D

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 06:15:01 AM »

yes :)
 Their attitude to their time on this planet and the time of others :)
I sort of get what you are saying, I think. But what does this attitude look like? In other words, what is a Rasta's attitude to their time on this planet and the time of others?

Rasta Nick

• Administrator
  • Veteran User
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »

Can someone help me Coz all of dem baldheads and babylon who dont understand where Iman is coming from
why would they overstand you? Know yourself and be the best you that you can be. It is NOT important to make others overstand you. It IS important that you overstand yourself!

what is a Rasta's attitude to their time on this planet and the time of others?
A humble respectful overstanding attitude imo.

prophet777

• Senior User
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 04:45:21 PM »

Nice reasoning pon here...

Rasta is LIFE, a way of living that deals with life itslef, in harmony with all things that are attached to life. Anything else that is not progressive to life, natural life, is therefor not considered to be Rasta.

Rasta is not about claiming to be Rasta by word of mouth  - it is more about the manifestation of ones personal I, through action and not just talk, in a perfect balance with all that is natural.

Most people think that Rasta is just about praising/"claiming" H.I.M. - Emperor Haile Selassie I - and then "one" is automatically a Rasta but, there is much more to that than just praising H.I.M. Much, much more.....

P7
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:53:05 PM by prophet777 »
ME NAH COM' FE BOW - ME COM' FE CONQUER !!

benjammin

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »

Most people think that Rasta is just about praising/"claiming" H.I.M. - Emperor Haile Selassie I - and then "one" is automatically a Rasta but, there is much more to that than just praising H.I.M. Much, much more.....

P7

Yeah, Iman could not agree more! :D

One other question, I no this may sound silly but would you use mouthwash if it had alcohol in it? And also again sounds stupid but what do you brush your teeth with.... if you do?

Also you look at my post above, Babylon has also made one of dem Battys in my class! so i have to put up with them batty in I's class for the next 8 months!! Im not sure if its the same where you come from but i blame the television for all of these battys in my country, On almost every program where I lives there is a Batty!! I think it TV , Putting a blindfold over these children's eyes and making them think that it is a normal thing
      Fyah Babylon...
Certainly. If you apply homosexuality globally humankind becomes extinct fairly rapidly!
Yeah, Iman say this at school to the baldheads, They then said yeah but a gay man could then just give a sperm donation to a lesbian and then that women could just have the child... Haha they really just don't get the point them baldheads!!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:23:02 PM by benjammin »

akgrown25

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 09:39:18 PM »

So if I read you right, prophet777, what you are saying is that being Rasta requires a combination of recognizing Jah and Selassie I as well as living right? If this is so, then doesn't that sort of contradict what Rasta Nick was saying about people being Rasta and not even knowing it? Rasta Nick didn't mention anything about Jah or Selassie I, only that an individual must live right. If a requirement of Rastafari is acknowledging Selassie I's divinity that would seem to imply that someone who sees Selassie I as divine would know that they are a Rasta. In other words, how can someone be a Rasta and not acknowledge Selassie I?  I guess I am confussed by the idea of a person being able to be a Rasta and not knowing it.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.