Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Becoming a Rasta  (Read 3065 times)

Reeferboy2003

• New User
Becoming a Rasta
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »

Hey, iv been looking all over the internet for answers to the questions i have.

You see, i have no solid religion, beliefs or faith but i live a happy life, im 17 white-british and from Newark, Nottinghamshire, England.
Iv always agreed with and implemented the rastafarian beliefs i have encountered throughout my life, and i started smoking the herb every day around a year ago when i met my current girlfriend, she is a regular smoker and has been for the past 5-6 years.  Before i met her i was in a deep depression which was brought on by problems at home with money and just life in general, i then started listening to Bob Marley`s music and the teachings he gives in his music.  Since then i have looked far and wide for advice on Rastafarianism but i couldnt seem to find any of the answers i needed so i ask you.

Does a man need to have Dreads to be a Rasta?

How does a man cope with the social pressures of being a Rastafarian?
Such as people saying "You think your Rasta but your not"
And telling their family that the herb is part of their life

I would love to be part of this beautiful and peaceful way of life, do you think i am worthy of following the Rastafarian way of life and how do i go about learning what i need to know.  I do know quite a bit about it, but still id feel like a fool classing myself as a Rasta before consulting an actual Rasta man.

I love sitting outside and smoking the herb with my girl and just admiring the beautiful thing we call Mother Earth, seeing the birds fly and the clouds float past, the feeling it gives me inside when im high defeats all pain iv ever felt.

Ever since i was a child iv had God and Christianity pushed onto me, so i have grown to hate the God i know, i only know him as people have taught me.
Do rastafarians see god the way Christians do? And believe in the same things when it comes to God?

Please reply to this message, it would mean so much to me.

Peace, Love and Unity
Bless

Jack
J.   W.   Dryden

benjammin

Re: Becoming a Rasta
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:19:58 PM »

Greetings brother....
[quote author=Reeferboy2003 link=topic=7650.msg76604#msg76604 date=1290289710

Does a man need to have Dreads to be a Rasta?

How does a man cope with the social pressures of being a Rastafarian?
Such as people saying "You think your Rasta but your not"
And telling their family that the herb is part of their life

I would love to be part of this beautiful and peaceful way of life, do you think i am worthy of following the Rastafarian way of life and how do i go about learning what i need to know.  I do know quite a bit about it, but still id feel like a fool classing myself as a Rasta before consulting an actual Rasta man.

Ever since i was a child iv had God and Christianity pushed onto me, so i have grown to hate the God i know, i only know him as people have taught me.
Do rastafarians see god the way Christians do? And believe in the same things when it comes to God?

Jack
[/quote]
Greetings brother jack.... I too went to a faith school (christianty) which is not necessarily bad so iman felt the exact same...
For anybody or any rasta saying you are not worthy... just stay calm and explain.... its not just black thing....
You dont need dreads but the reason we grow dreads is because of the bible verse.... saying that you should not take baldness pon your head!... But you cannot just become rasta overnight.... can take a matter of weeks to months to years... you will no when the time is right.... We know that King Haile Selassie I is god incarnate! We call "god" Jah... you need to research bob....marcus garvey...H.I.M King selassie I...
We are about keeping I temple natural... No thing unnatural.... we also follow Ital... comin from the word vital! So you need to research that.... just quickly... no pork (says so there in the bible) no shellfish (same thing) no alchohol (as it does nothing good and just makes you act stupid + h.i.m did not want it pon his land of ethiopia!) no fish over 12 inches says so in the Ible... You may wanna check out dread talk... and no caffine too!....  read tje bible! You really need to check out King Selassie I... Remember though too much of anything not good, Im refering to the herb... So just remeber that.... anyway thats all i got time for....

Jah Rastafari liveth!!
Blessings

Reeferboy2003

• New User
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »

This information was very helpful friend, thankyou so much, i am going to research what you told me now take time to think.

What happens now thought because, i already ate pork, but i am willing to give it up, and i confess, at this time, i love energy drink, but also, these are not vital.

Thank you

Bless
Posted on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:59 PM
Im currently researching Marcus Garvey and H. I. M Haile Selassie, most of the things iv read so far have been about the black people and slavery, it seems Rastafari was formed as a resistence agaisnt the white people. 

"Selassie is a symbol of salvation and Rasta’s believe he will save blacks from white suppression and reunite them with their African homeland. "

If Rastafari`s roots is at the time of slavery, and taking the above statement into consideration, why do white men become part of rastafari?

Do they join to stand as a peace for all mankind?

Love, Peace, Unity

Jack
J.   W.   Dryden

Nazarite I

• Senior User
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:28:02 AM »

Some good things said by Benjammin but the I didn't address all the questions.

You ask about the social pressures on I and I and perhaps you don't realise certain things since you are young. Not to say that Iman am not young at only 19 but Iman have had quite a brutal introduction to the pressures I and I face as Rastafari people in adult life in Britain so Iman will give you fair warning.

You asked about locks and perhaps that is a good place to start. Locks are part of I and I covenant with the Most High and in I opinion, the Nazarite vow is a necessity in the fullness of Rastafari Livity. Not to say that there aren't Rastas who don't wear the locks and beard who are rightious people but they are not living to the fullness of the Livity in I opinion. If you choose to take the vow and grow the locks and beard then you might not realise until you reach adulthood what a burden that can be. Among the youth, locks are generally accepted, although usually I and I see nothing but vanity dreads under them (fire!). In the adult world though, they are not something that is looked on favourably. Last year, Iman attempted to go into work and found that the combination of the economic situation and I Nazarite vow meant that no one would give I a job. Iman ended up on jobseekers allowance in a deep depression for a long time until Iman decided to go back into education and go to University where Iman am again struggling to find work to support Iself.

The same goes for herb. It is something that is generally accepted (although widely misused) amoung the youth but it poses problems in adult life. Iman am open about the fact that Iman am a Rastaman. I wear a beard and locks under a tam in the Red, Gold and Green and Iman make no secret of the fact that Selassie I is I and I God and King. The problem that poses (outside of the appearance) though is that what most people think of when they see a Rastaman is the herb that I and I smoke. Now Iman am honest when Iman go to look for a job. People have asked I plainly before whether I smoke herb and I have told them yes and they have then refused to employ I.

When you ask about people saying "You think your Rasta but your not", Iman will assume you are talking about you being a white man and when Iman was younger, that is something that pained I as well but in time Rastafari showed Iman to simply ignore them. In hindsight, I don't know why I even payed them any mind at all. Chances are the people who say that know nothing about Rastafari outside of Bob Marley, ganja, locks and that it has something to do with Africa. Now, when ignorant fools come round talking that kind of foolishnes, I don't pay them any mind at all.

Still though, I and I stay strong in I faith through all this. You ask how I and I cope? Jah is how I and I cope. I and I are righteous people and I and I won't allow tribulations to get in the way of that. I and I will always face tribulation in babylon. So it is written.
I and I are under no illusions that Rastafari is an easy trod or that I and I will always be happy. That would be simply foolishness.

Still though, if you can hear the call then that shouldn't worry you. Go out and learn. Read His Majesty's speeches and works. Read the Bible. Read Marcus Garvey's words. Read the Kebre Negast. Read the Reasonings of I and I elders. "Read, read, read, lest you be ignorant of the world."

Blessed love.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.