Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: don't waste your time...  (Read 1660 times)

Major Scorpion

• Senior User
  • Red, Gold and Green are the colours of I heart!
    • Mr.T SoulJah Myspace
don't waste your time...
« on: December 18, 2004, 05:13:59 PM »

Fallaci: Your Majesty, I would like you to tell me something about yourself. Tell me were you ever an disobedient youth? But maybe I ought to ask you first whether you have ever had time to be young, Your Majesty?
Selassie I: We don't understand that question. What kind of question is it? It is obvious that We have been young: We weren't born old! We have been a child, a boy, a youth, an adult, and finally an old man. Like everyone else. Our Lord the Creator made Us like everyone else. Maybe you wish to know what kind of youth We were. Well, We were a very serious, very diligent, very obedient youth. We were sometimes punished, but do you know why? Because what We were made to study did not seem enough and We wished to study further. We wanted to stay on at school after lessons were over. We were loath to amuse Ourselves, to go riding, to play. We didn't want to waste time on games.

Amish2

Re: don't waste your time...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 10:19:23 PM »

Seriouse people.. Hmm...this thread has got me thinking again!

ArkI

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 06:16:01 AM »

Many people are jealous that they can't Live like Selassie I.  I and I forIver trod towards Jah example.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

ArkI

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 08:21:50 PM »

Yes, when He says We, He is refering to himself, some people call it the Royal We.  It is a little confusing because I don't think there is a English equivalent for HIM saying that, so "We" is the only way it can be translated in English.

I don't think the Ethiopian word for the English "we" is the same as the Ethiopian word used when Selassie I is refering to HIMself.  But since the English language doesn't have an equivalent, then "We" is used.

I don't have anything I can compare it to in the English language, but in the French language, when a person says "you".  They would either say "tu" or "vous".   "tu" means "you" and "vous" means "you" plural.  "vous" is usually used to refer to more than one person, but it is also used to refer to an Elder or someone who is highly revered, to show respect.

So the reason Selassie I says "We" is because of his Respected and Revered status as the Emperor. It is the custom of royalty.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Major Scorpion

• Senior User
  • Red, Gold and Green are the colours of I heart!
    • Mr.T SoulJah Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 08:53:18 PM »

and if Idrens don't overstand French,

in German they say: sie or Sie
and in Belgium I and I say: jij or u

the second thing is the thing you say when you wanna say something with respect.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 22 queries.