Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Author Topic: Life/Lies  (Read 4232 times)

Gonzo

Life/Lies
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:13:34 PM »

Hey all. I was wondering if some of you could help me out with something that I've had on my mind latley. As we all know, there are many things in this life worth experiancing. Things like being with the people you love, going various new places, learning new things, etc....

Now I know I want to get the most out of my life. This will mean many hard things too, but for the fun, I don't want to have to lie (esp. to people like my parents) to experiance those things. And I know I must live in this realm for today, because for all I know the next Tsunami is on its way over to crush life. I want to have these fruits of youth so very badly, but yet I do not want to have to succumb to low morals to do so..... What do I do?

Any input would be welcome....

x_pink_pixie_x

Re: Life/Lies
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 02:31:31 PM »

Easy...just be yourself! No need to lie, if you be true to yourself you will go much farther than you would if you lie; lies work in a vicious circle, they always come back to hit you in the face.
I know what I said is rather vague, I wish I could be of more help, but I have much to learn before I can go round dishing out real advice. That's just what I've learnt so far!  [smiley=smiley.gif]

love to all
xXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

Speed

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 12:27:33 PM »

My theory on it is this...
I am trying to be the best person I can be in hope this will make me happy and i'm sure while attempting this I will come across many exciting and enjoyable experiences

JonaGus

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 08:34:12 PM »

My theory on it is this...
I am trying to be the best person I can be in hope this will make me happy and i'm sure while attempting this I will come across many exciting and enjoyable experiences

I agree with Speed, though this attitude requires a deeper concept of "happiness" than most people in the modern world have.

For most moderners, to be happy means feeling pleased. According to their shallow understanding, a person could not be happy while experiencing pain (unless he was a masochist). For these shallow people who value pleasure over goodness, it would be better to commit evil than to suffer it. And this philosophy is the beginning of many atrocities.

But to the ancients, to be truly happy meant to be blessed and good, to become excellent, to be free from sin and have a conscience at peace. According to this deeper understanding, a person could be truly happy even in pain, even in the midst of great hardship and suffering. It is far better to suffer evil, Socrates said, than to commit it.

Doing justice, doing acts of mercy, loving people truly for who they are-- these are the greatest adventures in life.

Speed

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 11:04:16 PM »

Agreed, when I said happiness it was aiming more towards enlightenment rather than 'get a comfortable job, married and conform'

JonaGus

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 11:23:24 PM »

Speed-- I assumed that's what you meant, and I am very sorry if it sounded different! I was agreeing with you! I just wanted to clarify what real happiness would mean in the context you were providing.

Speed

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 12:27:54 PM »

No worries, I had already assumed that you had assumed the context in which I was speaking and was adding depth to the discussion  [smiley=smiley.gif]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.