Rasta Nicks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No news is good news!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Racism in Rastafarianism  (Read 3146 times)

Rasta_Man_410

Racism in Rastafarianism
« on: January 17, 2005, 10:35:47 AM »

Ok I need your help here.  Many people have told me that Rastafarians can be of any race or ethnicity. But on the contrary many people have told me that Rastafarians can only be "black."  I don't mean to start a war here, but what is the correct answer?

Thanks guys for all of your help.

urban-soul-jah

Re: Racism in Rastafarianism
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 01:19:00 PM »

search for white rasta / can rastas be white / i wanna be a rasta but im white on this board then make your own mind up  

M-Dub

• Veteran User
  • Be conscious of the past, prepare for the present
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 03:54:45 PM »

Yes friend, anyone can be Rasta. Forgive us if some of us are impatient with this question as it has been asked a million times already. First, you must overstand Babylon, those that say Rasta is racist or Rasta is this or that are speaking what the devil wishes them to speak so that you are lured away from a relationship with Jah. Something you must overstand as well is that when you are becoming Rasta, you must lose the trickery that Babylon has imposed and see that there is only one race on earth, the human race. Rasta is a lifestyle it has nothing to do with your skin. Rastafarianism is about love, acceptance, family, overstanding, Jah praise and cleanliness of self.

One.

Jah bless.

x_pink_pixie_x

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 05:39:03 PM »

[smiley=smiley.gif] That was beautifully put M-Dub!

xXxXxXxXx

EmpressGong

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 09:55:15 PM »

yes rastafari heavily promotes one love for all man and woman becuz we are all jehovah's children..but there is something i want to ask those people who are asking if white people etc can be rasta despite their skin colour..

rastafari is about throwing away european christianity- jesus or god in fact is white with blonde hair and blue eyes..and there are many different "belief systems" under rastafari where:
- jesus is the first manifestation of god and selassie is the second
- jesus and selassie are men of god who both are perfect examples of what every man and woman on earth shud strive to be like [the christ-like examples]
- jesus is just some guy and ras tafari is the true living black god in the flesh who will forever be ruler of this earth..
-there is one great almighty jah who reveals himself in many persons[but in rastafari 2 people and some think just one] but the black race is the chosen people written about in the bible

there are so many different interpretations of rastafari [more than this]but one thing that always stands out is that rastafari is about the praise of two men who were bringing the prophesy, fulfilling the prophesy written in the bible, and the worship of the one almighty god that all religions fall under in this world.

rastafari is to break away from the system of babylon and its religious oppression and brainwashing..but there is always that emphasis on liberating the black race and showing them that the chosen people are of coloured skin and that the european system has tried for centuries to break them down, but through rastafari black man can rise up and claim his title as lions of the earth who can be christ-like in every action, word and thought. we are made in image of god and through rastafari we can lead our lives by learning through jesus and selassie as perfect examples...

so as a person of a different race are u fitting with this? is it of any concern to you?
why i ask is becuz i am from the caribbean where rastafari is the strongest and where it all started, so i know what it is about from first hand experience from the root of its creation..it cannot be denied that rastafari is also about black liberation through the power of jah.

it doesnt exclude other races becuz all man and woman are equal and we must all realise that our relationship with god is the most important thing in our lifetimes..but to call oneself rastafari is for a praticular reason....so why are people comin on this forum and asking "if they can be rasta" it sounds like doubt, it sounds like they arent sure what they are, it sounds like they dunno who they are, it sounds like they dont know who rastafari are?

if you want to know "if u can be rastafari" u must realise that if u are u will just know..its like wakin up one mornin and just knowing and feeling something that has always been there but u cudnt quite grasp what it was..then u do ur research and u find out it has a name and other people feel the same way...but i urge anyone who is thinking they are rastafari to remember that there is a set of founding and core values of rastafari that u must first seek out..u cant decide that u agree or know one value like god is for all man depite colour and call urself rastafari..its about more than that.

my message is to just urge people to slow down the pace and reevaluate where they are coming from when they are trodding on the rastafari path..before u say u are a rasta...decide first "am i really a part of what this movement/livity represents?" then there u go..the same goes for any "religion" or any group u join..if u dont agree with their mission statement u shudnt be part of an organization that will falsey represent you as an individual.

bless up everyone
EmpressGong

M-Dub

• Veteran User
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 10:02:05 PM »

Whoa, whoa Empress, maybe I missed something in your post.

jesus or god in fact is white with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Where did you learn this? It says in the Bible that Jesus had skin the color of ripe olives. Ripe olives would either be dark tan, brown or black. Not white.

rastafari is about throwing away european christianity.

How can this be when Rasta isn't a religion? Also, how can this be when Rasta's believe in the Bible? Please either clarify or be more careful when talking about such an important subject.

One.

Jah bless.

EmpressGong

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 10:10:17 PM »

oh i thought it was pretty clear what i was sayin

european christianity represents god was a white man with blonde hair and blue eyes and christianity when brought to afrikans was part of the way they were oppressed and mentally controlled by europeans..so many rastafari saw this form of christianity very evil and not truly based on christ and man

we know that in the bible jesus is not described as a white man that is what i am saying!rastafari opens man and woman up to the truth and takes away the false teachings of european christianity...yes i am well aware that rastafari is based heavily on christianity and that the bible is irreplaceable and very important. rastafari reveals the truth about it.that is what i am sayin...

and even though a lot of people say its a livity..yes it is of course! but it also being called a religion by many

M-Dub

• Veteran User
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 10:21:10 PM »

Thank you for sharing Empress. I apologize, I didn't understand your first post. I agree with you completely.

Thank you for discussing with me.

pink_pixie - Thank you for your kind words, I am moved.

One.

Jah bless.

EmpressGong

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 10:28:18 PM »

thanks M-Dub...i dont have a good time writin becuz i try not to use my dialect and it proves hard to write standard english at times  [smiley=undecided.gif]

hopefully others here will understand my point..its not a question of skin but a question of truly being and embracing rastafari..its not just a label u can stick on urself

EmpressGong

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 10:54:24 PM »

i just wanted to post something i read on a Bobo Shanti website which will show their position on god, christ and man:

"You should choose R for R is right, for R can save life, the man of right can save life. Not Satan who kill you daily. All people in the world should keep the Sabbath Day holy. for God is in flesh. (1st Epistle St. John ch. 4) Christ is in flesh, Black God is in flesh. not dead like the white one who is on the cross. We are the sons and daughters of the Black Christ. When you see yourself you see Christ , when you love yourself you love Christ. for God is love, let us all love. Black people turn to the Sabbath for by keeping the Sabbath you have eternal life."

not sure what R is..

Rasta_Man_410

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 03:31:14 AM »

Hey,
 I would just like to say thank you to EVERYONE who has replied on this subject, especially Empress Gong and M-Dub.  You have really helped me out and your enlightenment is invaluable.

One love

74verona

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 02:09:40 AM »

This newbie is also grateful for the above responses.  I am eager to learn more about Rastafarianism.  I'm very glad to have found this site.

Peace.

newrasta

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 02:41:29 AM »

It's true anyone can be a rasta, it is open to all races, genders and ethnicities. Don't worry you're not alone I've been discriminated against because I'm white and I'm a rasta, they've talked behind my back and called me things like "wankstafarian," but you must rise above all that, but it's true when they diss your religion and your way of life too much, I say it's time to defend yourself. Try not to fight, but if they won't quit, it's time for fists to fly... sorry if that doesn't sound very rasta of me, but I can't tolerate things like that. I've tried to avoid violence for a long time, but it's going to go down...soon. The people I'm dealing with are not well educated and they think that rastas can only be black and they can only be Jamaican. And there is another guy who think rastafarian is a gang in Jamaica that does drugrunning [smiley=huh.gif]

WHERE DID HE GET THAT IDEA?

Oh, and one more question, how can people be so ignorant? It's amazing how many haters are out there, you just have to prepare for it and rise above it.

Big up to M-Dub for his comments, really great words, man.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 02:44:29 AM by newrasta »

staci

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 03:57:03 PM »

Empressgong, is that a quote from the bible?  If so is it in 1st John, cuz i looked there in ch. 4 and could not find it.   I am very interested in finding out what R is.
onelove
respectforall

Ras I

• Full User
  • At Least, I Am; At Most, I Am.
    • MySpace
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 05:25:04 PM »

Does anyone here preaching how anyone can be Rasta think they actually understand what Rastafari is? If you did you wouldn't be saying that [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif] The reason white people are not Rasta is not for descriminatory or racist reasons. Please talk to me in private if you want to discuss, I would be happy to explain as far as you are able to understand.

Peace
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.